Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I am dead embarrassed!!!

Do you sweat when you have to hand out change to someone? (money)
never  
 68%  [ 44 ]
sometimes  
 31%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 64

amother

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 3:52 pm
Does anyone else have math problems. I sweat when I realize that I have to hand out change to someone. this morning I did calculations wrong! handed 18 dollars to someone instead of 8. anyone else has to think twice before handing change??? is math a knack???

Tamiri

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone else have math problems. I sweat when I realize that I have to hand out change to someone. this morning I did calculations wrong! handed 18 dollars to someone instead of 8. anyone else has to think twice before handing change??? is math a knack???
Use a calculator. Keep a tiny one in your wallet or wherever. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Did the person hand you your $10 back?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 4:04 pm
Did the person hand you your $10 back?[/quote]

Yes she did! I am so embarrassed......thnx for your positive answer

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 4:25 pm
Sorry if this is too basic, but I feel like it warrants mentioning just in case - do you try counting up to give change or do you do it the old fashioned math book way? As a math teacher, I can practically guarantee that people who find math difficult or intimidating have a MUCH easier time counting on change than calculating it and then counting out.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 6:08 pm
Being bad at arithmetic is no reflection on your overall intelligence. I qualify for membership in Mensa but count on my fingers when doing basic arithmetic.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Oct 31 2010, 11:49 am
How about studying at night?

Write down 5 amounts on a piece of paper - $8.53, $1.25, etc.

Then, take a bucket of money and make change. Have dh check you if you want. Do it for a few nights and you'll get the hang of it!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Oct 31 2010, 11:51 am
Check it out!

http://justkidsgames.com/play......hange

Merrymom

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 11:34 pm
I used to be like this but I worked on it at home until I got more comfortable. Here's a little trick.

Let's say you're charged $7.08 and you have $20 + that quarter you want to get rid of:

You're going to count by tens as much as possible so immediately add $10, now you're at $17. (Another $10 would be too much so you know you've got that much right so far).

How many more dollars do you need to get to $20? $3, that's much easier to calculate now.

So your $10 plus the leftover $3 is $13.

Now, let's work on the change:

Now you have a quarter, so again we're going to add ten. So here we're adding 10 cents to the eight cents that you were charged. You're at 18 cents, another ten cents would be 28 cents, that's too much (you have a quarter which is 25 cents). That would have been twenty cents change but since that's the wrong amount back up 3 ( the amount you're over by). If you take 3 cents off the 20 cents then you're left with 17 cents. That's your change.

So, you should be getting back $13.17

I hope this isn't too complicated, but for some reason my brain likes working with even numbers so I can think much faster this way.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 11:36 pm
Math is a knack!

amother

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 5:33 am
Merrymom wrote:
I used to be like this but I worked on it at home until I got more comfortable. Here's a little trick.

Let's say you're charged $7.08 and you have $20 + that quarter you want to get rid of:

You're going to count by tens as much as possible so immediately add $10, now you're at $17. (Another $10 would be too much so you know you've got that much right so far).

How many more dollars do you need to get to $20? $3, that's much easier to calculate now.

Now you have a quarter, so again we're going to add ten. So here we're adding 10 cents to the eight cents that you were charged. You're at 18 cents, another ten cents would be 28 cents, that's too much (you have a quarter which is 25 cents). That would have been twenty cents change but since that's the wrong amount back up 3 ( the amount you're over by). If you take 3 cents off the 20 cents then you're left with 17 cents. That's your change.

I hope this isn't too complicated, but for some reason my brain likes working with even numbers so I can think much faster this way.

If it works for you, then great. But it sounds like your method is very complicated when all you have to do is say 20-7=13 and 25-8=17?

Shuly

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 6:47 am
I'm terrible at math and I was an A student in every other subject. When I need to give people change, I tell them to do the math for me. I don't think it's something to be embarrassed about. Sometimes they tell me they are also terrible at math - so we get a pencil and paper or a calculator.

Merrymom

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
Merrymom wrote:

If it works for you, then great. But it sounds like your method is very complicated when all you have to do is say 20-7=13 and 25-8=17?

It's not complicated, it takes seconds in my head, no pen and paper required. Writing it out probably makes it appear more complicated and some people don't do well when others are staring at them expectantly.

chanahlady

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 10:59 am
I am horrible at math. I just take the cost of the item ($13.17) and count upwards to $20.25 (how much I received from the customer). Now give her a $5 bill, that's $18.17, give her two $1s, that makes $20.17, then give her a nickel and three pennies, that's $20.25.

Dayzmom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:19 am
Thank goodness for cash registers! But sometimes I'm not paying attention and I give wrong change. I realize it right away and correct it or the customer does. I don't freak out about it. I just laugh it off cuz I know I'm not dumb, it's just not my forte.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 8:23 am
amother wrote:

I am the exact same way as you. And yes math is a knack...one that I never had. I always have to count on my fingers to this day and I get very flustered when I have to do calculations on the spot. And b"h I still managed to get married and have kids lol so it doesn't mean you can't have a succesful life b"h.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics