Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you really feel about cooking?
1  2  Next

How do you really feel about cooking?
Love it! Always look for new recipes and enjoy being creative.  
 31%  [ 45 ]
Like it, but I don't go overboard.  
 37%  [ 54 ]
Tolerate it. No choice- I have to feed my family.  
 22%  [ 32 ]
Hate it. Would serve take-out every day if I could.  
 9%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 144

Karnash

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:29 pm
How do you really feel about cooking? Do you enjoy it and get real satisfaction from serving a good meal or do you view it as a necessary evil - feeding your family is just one of your many obligations as an imamother? Do you look for new recipes and attractive ways to serve your food, or do you rely on a few tried-and-true basics that you always serve? We spend so much time planning and shopping and preparing food (and cleaning up the subsequent mess) that I wonder how you feel about it?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:31 pm
How about this answer...I would have take out every night if we could, but since we can't, I spend a lot of time looking for recipes etc because I want to make the best possible food for my family.

A good meal makes my dh and ds happy. While I don't love cooking at all, I love cooking for my family. There's a big difference there.

onlyme

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:35 pm
I love to cook. I'm not so into fancy cooking (although occasionally I'll try something nice) rather go for simple but tasty food. It gives me a great feeling when I serve my family a hot delicious nutritious meal.

As for washing all those pots and dishes, that's a whole 'nother story...

clowny

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 12:58 pm
I voted #3. Yet sometimes I wonder why cooking needs to be done that often????

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:12 pm
I know it makes no sense, but 1, 2, and 3. Different times, different moods...

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:12 pm
I like cooking, but the simpler the better. I like try to make sure its healthy too.
I'm always making different things, but there are a few basic dishes I'll make over and over.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:21 pm
Between 3 and 4- tolerating and hating. Getting better.
I can't say I would serve take-out every night if I could because it's not healthy, but definitely only doing this cuz my fam has to eat. I love when I have an excuse not to cook, and would love to have a personal chef.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:34 pm
I really do get how important satisfying, well-prepared meals are to making a happy, productive Jewish home.

But I hate cooking. Absolutely loathe it more than virtually any other task. I hate the planning, the shopping, the shlepping, the prep, the serving, the cleanup . . . and starting again every week. I would far rather spend the hours at my job than cooking.

I manage to burn myself, burn food, undercook food, and I end up feeling angry, frustrated, an incredibly resentful

If I were to suddenly become independently wealthy, I would strive not to "live large" except in one area: I would contract with a local caterer to simply bring me some of whatever was being cooked that day to serve my family.

Of course, tell anyone this deep, dark secret and she'll probably start dropping off cookbooks on your doorstep and telling you how much you'll enjoy cooking if you just try new, exciting recipes. And there is no way to tell someone what you'd almost rather undergo an emergency appendectomy than try a recipe described as "new" or "exciting." LOL

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:37 pm
I don't mind the cooking, I don't like the deciding what to make. When my ds said, we're having xyz, I said, tell me what you want and I'll make it if it's possible. The next day, what do you want? Answer, I don't know Confused .

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:48 pm
love cooking - it comes natural to some

now will somebody clean up this mess !!! Twisted Evil

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:53 pm
I enjoy the creative process. But getting my family to eat somehow ruins it.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:54 pm
When I am in the mood I love to cook and bake. However when it comes to cooking every single night it gets a little annoying. Luckily DH also likes to cook.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 2:01 pm
oh and I didn't vote ... because I prefer tried & true recipes - I don't over try a zillion things ...

if it's good it stays - I usually modify things to my liking - if I think it's a fluke - good-bye charlie ...

mandksima

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:31 pm
I like cooking and baking when I'm not in any rush. I like cooking on a whim. Ooh...I'm in the mood for fettuccine alfredo, so I make that and eat it. I don't cook a whole lot anymore outside of Shabbat cooking which has gotten so simplified that it is quick and unexciting. The kids eat at their school and then afternoon program (includes a light supper) and dh and I and 2 yr old can eat leftovers, freezer food, or something made on a whim. I always have ingredients around and am pretty creative and adept in the kitchen to cook quickly.

Cooking for Yom Tovim isn't so fun anymore for me. I only make patchkerei stuff for company and for us I cook simply even then. A few things that I wouldn't do for Shabbat but nothing too fancy. Also, I cook and bake during the week a lot and freeze stuff because being rushed to do it all on Friday or even Thurs and Fri would take all the enjoyment out of it. I don't usually like take out food enough to want it for Shabbat and it is expensive so I say I'll just make it.

Lately, I've been craving a million things and I just have to make them. I have an excuse for that, B"H. Sometimes, no one else even wants the things I crave and I'm the only one eating them. I don't mind really because that is the kind of cooking I like. To recreate something I'd order in a restaurant. Maybe people cook like that all of the time but I don't so it becomes special.

I assume things will change when suddenly my kids are big and I have to cook dinners every night and start thinking about them in the morning or in the beginning of the week.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 4:23 pm
I would get take out every night if I could just because it makes my life easier but I love cooking. I hate cooking simple food and especially kid friendly food though. If I can't patchke I'd rather not do it at all.

ora_43

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 5:13 pm
There's cooking and there's cooking. I like getting creative with cooking (although I could probably go at least a few months without cooking at all and not miss it), but making the same simple stuff I make day after day is more of a chore. Albeit one of my preferred chores.

Menu planning I somewhat enjoy. There's a certain intellectual challenge to it - figuring out how to make a meal that uses what we have before it goes bad, is cheap, is easy to make, and covers the major food groups, and that everyone will eat, all very quickly. It's like working out a sports lineup or something (although come to think of it, most people probably wouldn't like that either).

JustPlainMe

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 6:01 pm
Karnash wrote:
How do you really feel about cooking? Do you enjoy it and get real satisfaction from serving a good meal or do you view it as a necessary evil - feeding your family is just one of your many obligations as an imamother? Do you look for new recipes and attractive ways to serve your food, or do you rely on a few tried-and-true basics that you always serve? We spend so much time planning and shopping and preparing food (and cleaning up the subsequent mess) that I wonder how you feel about it?

Love it BH!!

#1baker

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 6:03 pm
I love cooking and baking ive been doing it since im 11 years old! it was always my hobby. I patchke very often because I just enjoy it!! whenever im in a bad mood I take out the mixer and start baking it purks me up

makdragon

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 6:12 pm
I love to bake/cook, the only thing I hate is the cleaning up after! Thus, I rarely actually look forward to cooking, because then I dread all the cleaning up (washing dishes) that needs to be done after I've had my fun.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 6:14 pm
I love cooking, don't mind patchke recipes but don't go overboard.
My motto is minimum input, maximum oomp!

Fortunately, I kind of know intrinsically what ingredients/flavour/spices go together. I have fairly broad repertoire and appreciate good food.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics