Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potato Kugel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 3:52 pm
I heard in the name of "noshim tzidkoniyos" that kugel doesn't taste quite the same if you make it the day before. Does anyone have experience with that? I was told that the reason my kugel was a little disappointing was because I made it too early, and it MUST be cooked/baked Erev Shabbos for that delicious aroma.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 3:54 pm
Talking about potato kugel, not other kinds

sarahd

Post Fri, Jun 24 2005, 5:52 am
Personally, I think that potato kugel is only good fresh, so naturally if you make it a day earlier it's not going to be so good.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 10:41 pm
when using red potatoes for a kugel, do you ever wash the skins well and leave them on??

1stimer

Post Sat, Aug 06 2005, 3:21 pm
the kbd one is very good, it browns on top. I have also made it with half (or less) the amount of oil she suggests. It's a real treat, because I don't have a food processor and hand grate the potatoes.

I freeze it but make sure to warm it up in oven thoroughly. Never had any complaints.

avigayil

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 3:56 pm
I have been having a problem lately.
I cannot replicate other people's potato kugels, no matter what.

This is what I am aiming for.....that potato kugel that is so yummy and moist inside and golden brown o top.
How do you do this?
Any ideas?

proudmom

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 3:59 pm
do you have the spice and spirit? they have a very good recipe in there.

shanie5

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 5:03 pm
tell us how u make yours, what u do, and maybe we can help a bit more.

youngmom

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 6:32 pm
do u have the kosher by design cookbook? it also has a very good p kugel recipe

Tefila

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 9:50 pm
First off I grate do not blend also if it's blended a side point the beracha changes, since the potatoe is no longer in it's original state.
Secondly though I hate oil at the best of times I do find w/h kugel it being potatoe and all, thats what keeps mine moist.

cindy324

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 10:14 pm
This is my MIL 's trick. First of all she uses the meat grinder attachment of her Kitchenaid to grind the potatoes. She pours oil in the bottom of the pan that she's baking the kugel in. Heats the oil in the oven until very hot, and pours it into the potato/egg mixture and then she pours the whole thing back into the pan and bakes it. Tha't how it comes out nice and moist inside.

youngmom

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 12:27 pm
that's exactly what the cookbook says to do, cindy. the kugel comes out delish that way.
I like to grind it to rather than blend too. think it tastes better that way.

avigayil

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:46 pm
I think I need to use oil.

I grate my potatoes by hand. I have the Spice and Spirit cookbook, but it still tastes kind of dry. There are all of these kugels I taste at peoples homes and at shul and they are great! I shall keep trying and use oil!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 10:30 pm
My SIL uses a half cup of oil and half cup of water. Her kugels are moist and creamy, exactly the way you describe avigayil. And I always thought you were supposed to drain the liquid from the grated potatoes Confused .

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:27 pm
good point sarayehudis- I dont drain my potatoes either. nor do I add matzoh meal or any other filler. and I bake it for 1/2 hour at 400, then 2-3 hours at 350 (thats farenheit)

stem

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:28 pm
2-3 hours?! That's a long time, how doesn't not get burnt?
I bake mine for 1 hour at 350, uncovered. Then I warm it up covered before Shabbos on a low heat for another hour. Yum!

indianamom4

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:55 pm
I always bake mine in a glass baking dish-it comes out crispy all around and yummy in the middle! It is amazing, and I can always tell if it was made in a foil pan or not.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 1:28 am
That does it indianamom4 . I am iyh running out to get a real glass baking dish. I must have that perfect kugel!

willow

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 2:37 am
what difference is there when making something in a foil pan?

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 5:07 pm
The way the heat is distributed while baking and the intensity on the food is effected.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes