Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Why do people care what I wear?

havefaith

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 1:53 pm
Why do people judge me according to what I wear? If someone goes out dressed fancy shmancy then they are looked apon as godly or something and when someone is ok and nicely dressed but not with the latest fashion they are looked down apon by the ''Perfect'' ones?

louche

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 2:48 pm
Do you look with the same sort of benevolence upon a person in torn, dirty clothing as upon a person in freshly cleaned and pressed garb? Unless you do, you're doing the same thing; you differ from the people you rail against only in degree.

onlyme

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 2:52 pm
I don't find that people care about what I wear. Maybe it's because I don't care about what they wear either?

louche

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 3:03 pm
onlyme wrote:
I don't find that people care about what I wear. Maybe it's because I don't care about what they wear either?

More likely that you think they don't care because you don't care whether they care or not. Which is quite the best way to be: blissfully oblivious to the meaningless criticisms of others. Why should you care that Mrs. Tzarutayin looks with disdain upon your mode of dress? Unless you're dating her son, her opinion of you should be a matter of supreme indifference to you.

onlyme

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 3:15 pm
louche wrote:
onlyme wrote:

More likely that you think they don't care because you don't care whether they care or not. Which is quite the best way to be: blissfully oblivious to the meaningless criticisms of others. Why should you care that Mrs. Tzarutayin looks with disdain upon your mode of dress? Unless you're dating her son, her opinion of you should be a matter of supreme indifference to you.

Yes, that's what I meant you just said it more eloquently.

Btw I'm B"H not dating anybody's son right now, but even if I was, I wouldn't care either. First of all, it's the son's opinion that counts, and secondly, if you don't like me don't take me. (And chances are I don't like you either, so there! Very Happy )

havefaith

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 4:37 pm
louche wrote:
Do you look with the same sort of benevolence upon a person in torn, dirty clothing as upon a person in freshly cleaned and pressed garb? Unless you do, you're doing the same thing; you differ from the people you rail against only in degree.
ok. for hygiene and Kavod Habrios one should shower and wear clean normal clothes if he can. are you really comparing this to that?

louche

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 6:04 pm
havefaith wrote:
louche wrote:
ok. for hygiene and Kavod Habrios one should shower and wear clean normal clothes if he can. are you really comparing this to that?

why not? either way you're judging a person based upon externals. It's all a matter of degree. To the folks who think you're scum for going grocery shopping in denim and sneakers, you look like a vagrant. For all you know, the person in torn, dirty clothes has just come off a double workshift on a construction site or maybe even just now pulled an accident victim off the train tracks and administered CPR.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 6:11 pm
What makes you think people care? They look at you up and down with disgust and smirk when passing you?

louche

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 6:38 pm
As to being smelly, one of my dearest friends is a research chemist. Her clohtes, hair and skin absorb the smell of the compounds with which she works, and some of them are quite unpleasant. I can assure you she showers thoroughly and often, but at the end of the day she often reeks worse than a homeless men's convention. She doesn't even know it, unless somebody tells her, because her olfactory apparatus has long since fatigued and she no longer smells the reeky stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics