Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Time between camp & school - what to do?

shopaholic

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 6:46 am
Last time I worked, DS was in full time day care & DD was a newborn who went to a babysitter as long as I needed. Now I work mornings & in a couple of weeks, all 3 will have no more day camp for 3 weeks before school starts. Luckily DH works from home, but I feel bad that he has to take woirking time to keep an eye on them until I get home. What do you all do? Especially if DH isn't home?

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 7:17 am
I know I am faced with that too... three weeks of no camp or school... trying to set up playdates etc, mostly daycare (worked out something with them for cost)

stinks majorly! But have to work, to pay bills right?

BrachaC

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 7:33 am
The only convenient thing about those few weeks is that most of the high-school girls are home from camp and have nothing to do! If you can find one that is available and offer to make it as easy as possible- you buy some arts and crafts supplies, wading pool etc then they might find it an enticing offer to make some last bit of money with their summer.

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 7:47 am
I don't know what I'll do this time but last break (just 2 months ago...) I did s/t different each time one day I left her by one of my sisters one day by my mother ect this way I don't abuse or burn out anyone. I also took her to work twice... its very tough!! Twisted Evil

JMto2

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 7:58 am
see if you can hire a high school girl that is looking for extra money and she should watch and entertain your child. Now before school the girls that need money are looking for side things so they can fit in and get what everyone else is getting.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 8:33 am
That's the time of year that I took my vacation days from work to take the kids to my parents. Other people go to the country or do family things.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 9:02 am
HS girl sounds ok, but DH is in the house so its not sooo necessary. Guess he'll just have to take care of them. Maybe my brothers are home.

BrachaC

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:44 am
My husband also works from home (we could probably start another thread on that topic). I try to come up with a few options for him to make it easier- I.e. Mrs. S. said you could call and maybe bring the kids over in the afternoon; Mrs. T said the morning is better for her...Also I do not ever expect lunch to be more complicated then frozen pizza on paper plates on those sort of days.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 7:19 am
Bracha - u have fancier lunches than that usually? Lunch here is a sandwich, yogurt & always on paper plates! In school luches are a bit better, but I may nice suppers so lunch is made simpler.

cl

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 2:39 pm
how did those 3 weeks work out?
I got my cousin (h/s girl) to babysit DS (19m) for the hours I was at work. It wasnt a perfect solution cos she didnt want to work so many hours that I needed but I let her take him to her own house so he cud also play with my other little cousin and had my aunt as back-up if needed. (it also cost more than daycare cos I had 2 pay her per hour).
But, I was so happy to have him back in daycare from this week. I thought I (and he) wud be happier with 1 single person looking after him but I see now a purpose-built big playroom, with lots of toys and an children is actually a better option for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics