Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Expensive Toddler Car Seats
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:02 am
One of my grandchildren (in America) is about to outgrow his infant carseat and for a 1st birthday gift, bubby and zeide want to buy him a toddler seat. I am seeing that the prices have gone over the top. There is a popular brand called Britax for about $260 and Reccaro for about $350 and some other brand that just came out for $450. The $80 to $100 kinds that are sold in Target and Walmart look pathetic next to those upscale models. Why are these items so expensive? Does more expensive mean safer or longer lasting? Have any of you tootsiepies bought one of these lately? Why did you choose the brand that you chose?

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:17 am
I will not be cheap when it comes to safety. britax had the highest safety ratings 2 years ago when I bought it. the y have 2 models one is a bit more $ than the other but it has a much higher weight limit so can be used for a lot longer.
the other thing I really like about it is that it is a convertible car seat, meaning that it can be used rear facing for even a newborn or forward facing for a long time, instead of always using a infant seat- eg: traveling.
I def, think it is worth the money b/c as you said the target priced car seats look like they are made out of styrofoam compared to the britax.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:25 am
IIRC, there is an evenflo seat that is around $100 that took the #1 safety ranking last year, puting Britax second.

I bought the Britax for my first child because of its safety rating and I liked the way it was made. I will be getting the Evenflo for the new baby. The material isn't as plush, but it's just as safe.

Edited to add:
It's actually the *cheaper* Britax (the roundabout, still about $200) that had the high safety ratings, and not the more expensive ones. So money isn't everything.

Last edited by nicole81 on Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

shoy18

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:28 am
I got the bitax about a year ago, I didnt feel the need to be cheap on car seats. I see that its easier to put in and much more sturdy and it has a less flimsy bottom then other car seats

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:38 am
The evenflo titan 5 is safer than the britax and costs about 60 - 70$

JMto2

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:00 am
I was told by many that there is no difference between the britax and the graco besdies price and name . I have the graco for my daughter and I am really happy with it and it did not cost more then 70-80 price does not always make a difference if you want to be sure search the net for ratings.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:20 am
After speaking with certified car seat installers -- most car seats are not "safer" than others, since now they have to be super safe to be government approved. As long as they do have this approval, there is no difference in safety quality. An Evenflo, a Graco, and a Britax can have different price tags, but that's not because of the safety factor.
Usually you pay for features -- cup holders, padding, height and weight limit, etc. as well as convenience -- how easy to install, buckle, adjust straps, remove fabric to wash, etc.

I just got the Evenflo Tribute 5 for my son which is the "bare essentials" type of car seat -- safe, inexpensive, no frills, but easy to wash.
The Graco Comfort Ride is slightly more expensive but has a bit extra padding and a cup holder.

Make sure if he is still rear-facing (which is really optimal, and actually a must if he is under 20 lbs.) that it's easy enough to adjust the straps -- you can reach your hand between the seat and the adjusting lever thingy.

As far as "safety mechanisms", since most new cars are LATCH equipped, make sure the car seat is compatible for that. Also, be sure the seat comes with a locking clip for seatbelts that need it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:28 am
The $450 is called safeguard.

mumsy23

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:52 am
My mother has the costco and I have the britex. I noticed dd was much less kvetchy in my britax and was able to fall asleep while she never falls asleep in the costco.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:59 am
Do you always have to buy two carseats for a child....one for infant and one for toddler? Are there any good carseats that are appropriate for both newborns and toddlers?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 12:01 pm
For an infant, it is good to have the type that is also a baby carrier since it is hard to take a sleeping baby out of a carseat and transfer him into a stroller. Also, a newborn gets lost in a huge carseat unless you have a device that positions a newborn.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 12:05 pm
Most of the infant/toddler convertible seats are usually good from 5 lbs until 40 pounds or more, depending on the model. Babiesrus.com should probably have the weight limits for all the seats.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
Do you always have to buy two carseats for a child....one for infant and one for toddler? Are there any good carseats that are appropriate for both newborns and toddlers?

You definitelly can get one that lasts from 5 lbs. through a good portion of toddlerhood, but make sure it has a headrest. As southernbubby said, it's convenient to have a different infant one that is removable from the base and therefore can be shlepped around and reinserted into the car at whim, but if you want to get away with just one for a couple years and carry your baby from car seat to stroller, that's fine too.

This is the basic breakdown of car seats:
Infant-only -- these are usually "carrier" type with a base that can be used from birth till 20-some lbs. and about 29 inches. By a year, these are basically unusable.
Convertible rear to forward facing -- these are usually suitable from birth and go up to about 40 or so lbs, and can be switched from rear-facing for an infant to forward facing for an older child
Convertible booster -- these are forward facing only, and usually start at about 20 lbs. but can be used till over 60 lbs. depending on the manufacturer, and can be switched usually to a booster only, not car seat type.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 12:19 pm
There are actually 3-in-1 seats that go from birth until 80 lbs, made by cosco (eddie bauer.)

Check out this website

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 12:50 pm
[quote="nicole81"]There are actually 3-in-1 seats that go from birth until 80 lbs, made by cosco (eddie bauer.)

Check out this link

Reviews don't look to great for it.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 12:58 pm
Wow, I just noticed that. It's just an example, though, and there are other seats with similar features.

avigayil

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 1:49 pm
We put ds in a Graco seat with the babyseat that can come out when he was a newborn. When he got older, we moved to a Britex. He really enjoys it.
It was annoying when other people tried to keep giving us their old car seats and we kept saying no. From what I have been told, after 6 or 7 years, a carseat should be discarded.

Anyway, ds is very comfy in the Britex.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 2:09 pm
avigayil wrote:
We put ds in a Graco seat with the babyseat that can come out when he was a newborn. When he got older, we moved to a Britex. He really enjoys it.
It was annoying when other people tried to keep giving us their old car seats and we kept saying no. From what I have been told, after 6 or 7 years, a carseat should be discarded.

Anyway, ds is very comfy in the Britex.

We used the Graco Snug Ride as well.

Old car seats should not be used because safety standards have changed, it's possible a used car seat was in an accident, they might not be compatible with LATCH systems in cars, etc.

mumsy23

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 3:18 pm
SouthernBubby, I was just thinking about you today and was wondering, why don't you just give your kids the money to buy the carseat or ask them which one they have their eye on.

I would HATE it if my mother or mother-in-law took it upon herself to do the research and bought the carseat she thought was best.

Now that you know what the average carseats run, why don't you just give them the cash and tell them its for baby's new car seat, that way everyone is happy!

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 9:56 am
mumsy23 has a great point. I also like to do my own research and choose my own baby equipment.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics