Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Making a Will

amother

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 10:30 am
I read somewhere(can't remember where) that the Lubavitcher Rebbe said that making a will is a segula for long life. Does anyone have experience with this? Does a will contain provisions about who would look after one's children if something chas v'Shalom, happened? Sorry I posted anonymously but it's such a scary thing.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 1:03 pm
it is scary, but we did it.

HV'S, you never know what can happen, and if parents leave no will children will go to the jurisdiction of the state

and

many siblings fought way too much (& split forever) over their parents' $$. Everybody sais "it won't happen to me", but it happends way too often. Don't forget that girls do not inherit al pi halacha & behor grts doubles, which causes even more problems

Making a will takes a few hrs - our Rav recommended a lawyer, he had a pre-set will, we filled him in on spesific details/ names/ requests, did a kinyan (don't ask me what) and signed it at the second appointment.

do it for the sake of your kids!!!!

technic

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 3:42 pm
DO IT!!!!...I sat there and cried when we did ours but its sooooo worth it:)

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 3:54 pm
I've heard of something called a living will- check into that.
we haven't made one, but last year when all of my siblings were together for a family simcha we were discussing wills. my siblings (who are older than me) have some document stating who their kids would go to if ch"v anything happened. it was a pretty funny discussion, seeing who would leave their kids to who. my sister actually said, now that I'm married she thinks she'll change hers so her kids would go to me (maybe before it was to my parents)... wow! that made me feel good! but it should NEVER happen!!!!

Tovah

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 4:16 pm
my fatherinlaw told us the same thing abt being a segula for long life and actually gave us a cd to do, but we never did it cause I didn't understand half of the questions.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 4:53 pm
do it w/ a lawer reccomended by your Rav, b/c you do have to honor the halacha too.
And he will also explain the legal language

AweSumThenSum

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 6:19 pm
I work for an attorney, and I cant impress upon all ofu the importance of having 5 documents:
will - in this instrument u write who gets which of ur belongings and also who takes care of the children. u also appoint an executor who will oversee the entire estate.
living will - tells hospital how to handle medical emergencies
halachic living will - appoints a person and rabbinate to make medical decisions.
healthcare proxy - appoints a person to make health related decisions for u. make sure that this instrument specifies that nutrition and hydration may not be withheld under any circumstances, as this is against halacha.
power of attorney - appoints a person to make financial based decisions for u, such as real estate, bank account, etc... matters

please feel free to pm me for additional information. the above is a very very short version of what each document is all about

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 6:23 pm
thanx awesum for all the info.

AweSumThenSum

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 8:00 pm
no problem. it's very sad to see how families get torn apart when people die without a will. and I cant tell u how many times ive been told, "oh, we get along so well, that would never happen in our family" only to get a sob-laden fone call a few weeks later. and healthcare decision trauma can rip a family apart even more because siblings and parents haveto make life and death decisions under heavy duty stress. ladies, and tell all ur husbands and friends too, if nothing else, at least have a halachic living will and a health care proxy. please!! dont subject ur families to the stress of having to make ur healthcare decisions for u if g=d forbid u can't make them on ur own!!

Rivka

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 8:58 pm
I think this segulah thing is just to make people not feel bad about doing it, I don't think it is a segulah for long life at all because people who have made wills have died young.
I would like to make a will but I don't have money to leave, so I dunno if it worth it. Also children anyway go to next of kin, you don't need a will to have that happen.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 9:35 pm
Quote:
children anyway go to next of kin

not in every country

Quote:
I don't have money to leave

things can be fought over too -
seforim, etc

Awesome, the lawyer our Rav reccomended did all of these with us!!!

AweSumThenSum

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 9:41 pm
rivka, children go to the surviving parent in every country, but what happens if: the suriving parent becomes injured or incapacitated in the same incident wh/ claimed the other parent's life? what if both parents are dead, then who gets the kids? whose family - his or hers? ah, now things get a bit trickier, rite? and what if there is a surviving child over the age of 18? does she have equal rights to get guardianship of her under age siblings?
c? things can get hairy!!

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 10:38 am
ever since we have children, I want to make a will, also to put in writing who will have to raise our children if HV"S something happens to us....one of my worst nightmares.
my husband won't hear off it, he refuses to discuss it, as he is afraid it will bring some evil upon us, HV"S!!!
anyways, now, after reading this thread, I feel we really have to face the facts of life, and deal with it.
how can I convince him?

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 11:32 am
take him to your Rav

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 1:00 pm
he's in israel....(the rav) and chances of getting him on the phone are slim.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 1:53 pm
write Wink

Tefila

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 3:58 pm
Pnina maybe your husband is right. Tracht gut vzien gut- 'think good and will ia"h be good'

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 6:29 am
FY, don't think he will have time to read it...! Maybe I will ask my husband to discuss it with his rav next time he (husb) will be in israel...

frielich, I know, but every now and then I get an unsettling feeling....I just think it's a parents' responsibility to take care of these things, having the best interest for the children in mind.
maybe it gets to me now b/c I might go away by myself for a week, and HV"S something might happen HV"S

so, any good lines to help convince my husband - much appreciated!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 5:19 pm
well, R Belski says one should + read AweSumThenSu's posts!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics