Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Who here bakes in the microwave?
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 9:59 pm
Who here has experience in baking in the microwave; what size pan should I get, glass or silicon, and do you do pareve or dairy?

I guess we should leave our recipes in the recipe section, right?

Thanks.

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:07 pm
I hate our Microwave and never use it! my husband and boys do though Confused

withhumor

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 9:05 pm
I do everything with my microwave except bake because I never bake period.

Younger Me

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 9:13 pm
I only use the microwave to reheat leftovers.
I'm not fond of microwaves.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 9:20 pm
I'm made salmon in the microwave many times, chicken once. When my oven wasn't kashered yet, I made an oatmeal cranberry kugel-thingy in there. Smile
I think you can use corningware. Some of these catalogs have microwavable pots. But I'm not really sure what's best to use.

anuta

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 10:11 pm
I have baked winter squash (butternut) in a microwave in a corningware containter.
Now I am trying to minimize my microwave use.
See here as to why:
http://www.karlloren.com/Diabetes/p35.htm
http://www.mercola.com/article.....s.htm

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 1:31 am
To cook in the microwave I have Tupperware (real Tupperware, not knock offs) containers. The Tupperwave and Rock 'n Serve lines, as well as the newer Heat 'n Serve line, are made from food & microwave safe "plastic" (not really plastic, but I don't remember the real name), which are approved by the FDA for cooking. For baking I use silicone or Rock 'n Serve in the microwave. In terms of baking, usually it's brownies, but I do have a couple of micro-friendly cake recipes as well. The most important thing is to remember that you need to leave it in the micro for a good 5 minutes after it beeps to let everything settle and finish cooking. I recommend round, not square or rectangular, microwave safe products.

aussiegal

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 4:25 am
I only use microwave if I"m ina huge rush, or to reheat things quickly. Personally, I would try to stay away from the microwave, the rays aren't healthy.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 6:37 am
aussiegal wrote:
I only use microwave if I"m ina huge rush, or to reheat things quickly. Personally, I would try to stay away from the microwave, the rays aren't healthy.
The rays don't do anything unhealthy to food. If, however, you don't use the right kind of container or dish, then you can get seepage from the "kli" to the food. Also, contrary to popular opinion, the rays can't "escape" from inside a closed microwave, so as long as you don't heat yourself up, you should be fine.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 6:48 am
My mother has had a microwave almost ever since they were available. She has tried everything in her microwave (I think!), even baking cakes. It's better to bake a dark cake (like chocolate) because the cakes do not brown (unless you have a browner). I don't think it really matters which type of microwave dish you use to bake it in.

(I have never had a microwave, and never considered buying one).

technic

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 7:00 am
I use my micro a lot - in terms of actual baking I tried a choc cake (turned out dry)(but it was amazing watching it rise!!!!)(sad isnt it, I need 2 get a life embarrassed ) and a "steamed pudding" type dessert, which looked awful (cos it didnt go brown), smelt awful (dont know why) and tasted great - everyone liked it - go figure Exclamation

queen

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 8:01 am
technic wrote:
I use my micro a lot - in terms of actual baking I tried a choc cake (turned out dry)(but it was amazing watching it rise!!!!)(sad isnt it, I need 2 get a life embarrassed ) and a "steamed pudding" type dessert, which looked awful (cos it didnt go brown), smelt awful (dont know why) and tasted great - everyone liked it - go figure Exclamation

technic- better check out your computer... looks like someone is using your user name Twisted Evil
First time I ever saw a serious response from you shock

technic

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 8:19 am
omg ur RIGHT!!!! ty ive reported it!!!! shock

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:20 am
I make pasta and vegetables in the microwave all the time. It's much quicker!

anuta

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:50 am
Marion wrote:
aussiegal wrote:
The rays don't do anything unhealthy to food. If, however, you don't use the right kind of container or dish, then you can get seepage from the "kli" to the food. Also, contrary to popular opinion, the rays can't "escape" from inside a closed microwave, so as long as you don't heat yourself up, you should be fine.

How do you know that "rays" don't do anything to food? Your Tupperware salesperson of course has vested interest in trying to convince you of that; she sells stuff after all.
Read through the links I posted above; these are refereed research results. I am a physicist with a graduate degree, and I can therefore credibly state that microwaves do alter organic element microstructure in a ways that have been shown harmful, or their effect has not yet been studied.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:52 am
I don't use a microwave to bake because baking should make things crispy not rubbery. Try cooking a slice of frozen pizza in a microwave...yuk! Reheating it after it's been cooked is different. I have a oven/microwave combo so I'll bake something like lasagna but use the microwave option to reheat a piece.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:04 am
don't forget that microwave power is the most expensive power. boiling water and cooking noodles in there costs you much more than a gas stove and I don't think it's that much quicker for noodles.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:06 am
I dont own a microwave

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:19 am
I did a duncan hines cake mix (moist choc deluxe, I think). worked well, tasted good, but I was told to do it in 2 halves. I just used my micro-safe baking dish. havent tried anything else, tho if you know something that really works, I'd be interested, cuz my oven is really temperamental.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 1:22 pm
anuta wrote:
Marion wrote:
aussiegal wrote:

How do you know that "rays" don't do anything to food? Your Tupperware salesperson of course has vested interest in trying to convince you of that; she sells stuff after all.

"She" certainly does. I can tell you how many hours "she's" spent researching it, and following up on information. I can tell you how long it's taken "her" to get answers for all "her" customers who have concerns and to educate "her"self on the issue.

I AM my Tupperware consultant.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics