Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do you help a toddler process a difficult experience?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:29 pm
my toddler recently needed to be hospitalized very suddenly. he's fine now b"h but it was a traumatic and painful experience. I am worried about the psychological effects of him going through this without any prior warning. he seemed to handle it well and for the first two days since we came home he acted like his normal self, although he mentioned the experience a few times. in the days since then, he has been acting really irritable, whiny, and quick to anger. he has needed a lot of comfort, started carrying around his paci which he hasn't done in a year, and is being extremely oppositional, grumpy, and difficult to deal with throughout the day. I'm trying to offer him a lot of attention and comfort but at the same time I do need to keep setting boundaries on his behavior so he doesn't damage things, get hurt, or fall into a negative behavior pattern that is hard to break once this is long past. I need some guidance for how to help him process this so it doesn't leave any lasting emotional damage.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 11:02 pm
Mommeeeeeeee! wrote:
my toddler recently needed to be hospitalized very suddenly. he's fine now b"h but it was a traumatic and painful experience. I am worried about the psychological effects of him going through this without any prior warning. he seemed to handle it well and for the first two days since we came home he acted like his normal self, although he mentioned the experience a few times. in the days since then, he has been acting really irritable, whiny, and quick to anger. he has needed a lot of comfort, started carrying around his paci which he hasn't done in a year, and is being extremely oppositional, grumpy, and difficult to deal with throughout the day. I'm trying to offer him a lot of attention and comfort but at the same time I do need to keep setting boundaries on his behavior so he doesn't damage things, get hurt, or fall into a negative behavior pattern that is hard to break once this is long past. I need some guidance for how to help him process this so it doesn't leave any lasting emotional damage.

I would try EFT(Emotional Freedom Technique) on him. I found it very helpful for kids (and adults) of all ages.
Here is a link, it is simple to do and very effective.
http://www.eftuniverse.com/

sneakermom

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 11:06 pm
He might need a lot of physical holding and reassurance.

I would sit with my toddler on the floor and play with him every day for about twenty minutes. I would even buy an ambulance or hospital set and allow the child to play with it together with you. Follow your toddlers lead as he plays and get very involved in his interpretation of things.

The trick is to validate his feelings as he plays. So if he takes the little person and places him in the hospital you can repeat back to him, " the boy is going to the hospital".....and if he looks scared while doing so, "the boy is very scared". You could use the opportunity to hold that little person and say things like, "I'm sorry you had to go to the hospital, You didn't like the hospital!", "I'm so so sorry". etc.

Emphasize a lot to your toddler that he is no longer in the hospital. You could say, "No more hospital!", "Now Baruch is home!" Little toddlers might enjoy saying, "good bye hospital" and use hand motions to throw it away.

And you could also talk about the stuff that weren't so bad in the hospital maybe toys he got, friends that came etc. Laugh at the funny stuff with him without invalidating the bad stuff.

Give him time. And a lot of validation. Good luck.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 11:13 pm
Give him a lot of love. Also reading social stories might help. Read stories of kids going to the dr...so he has something to relate to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics