Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Concern about my 5yo DD's habit

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 1:59 am
My 5yo DD got into the habit of periodically touching herself between the legs as she is walking or doing something active. when asked she says that it is scretchy there. We saw a doctor at least twice in the last 3 years for that and no one could give us an answer. She is otherwise a well developed and mature child. So I looked there again to see if it is inflamed or something, and finally realized that her labia majora (lips outside) do not cover the inside and most probably when she walks the sensitive inside is rubbed on underwears and that is what bothers her.
Have anyone hear of anything like this? Please, only good news.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 8:50 am
I guess I wrote it too early. Any ideas?
My other thought is may be she is taking too long of the showers - 20 sometimes 30 minutes almost daily

imabima

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:17 pm
I don't have experience with this, but my idea is to make sure she is wearing snug-fitting undies so it's more comfortable.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:25 pm
Also, no tights.
Did her doc check for any infections?
I was once given a cream since I'm always itchy in that area with little bumps.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:26 pm
yes, that what I was just thinking and also of taking her to the doctor again. Would be nice to know that it is a normal variation
Thanks for the reply

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:36 pm
tights are interesting idea, but no tights in the winter?
she was checked for infection before.

thatgirl

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:45 pm
It can also be that she needs the bathroom.
Sounds dumb but you never know. I would check if she has tiny bumps in the area which can be making it itch. Try her not wearing tights and see if there's improvment.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:54 pm
do you know that it is perfectly normal for little girls to touch self?

thatgirl

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:58 pm
doesnt sound like it would be masterbating

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 7:18 pm
She is very responsible about usiing the bathroom, plus when asked she says that it bothers her there and that is why she does it.
There are no bumps and no redness there
She is not touching self, She touchs herself there every so often for just a second as if adjusting her undergarment or something
So may be that is the answer - the undergarment. She has the right size but she is big for her age (at least half a head taller than other girls her age)

thatgirl

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 7:24 pm
Is she itchy in general?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 7:48 pm
no, thank you raindrop for taking an interest in my dilemma
I would like to confide in my mother but I think it would only upset her. We have another child who was born with anotomical anomaly and needed a major surgery. I am trying to compare her to my other daughters and it look different but im irtz hashem it is normal.

bluebird

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 8:36 pm
Instead of no tights at all, maybe she needs a different type? Some have a seam or two that run through the crotch, some have a diamond shape, and some have a panty (at least for adults, not sure about girls). Maybe one of the last two types would be more comfortable for her?

thatgirl

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 9:28 pm
Ok I did some research online and apparently its pretty common. If you know its not a yeast infection or from too long baths you can also see if she does it while she is alone in bed.
Most parents wrote not to yell at her about it but just explain that its innapropriate to touch herself in public.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 5:26 pm
hi
my labia major is normal (bigger than minor), but ever since I can remember I was itchy and quetchy about size tags, tight seams rough fabrics...they had me tested for allergies etc, but I am b´´H perfectly healthy, I am simply more sensitive to such things than most ppl.
my advice: if she has no infection/allergy, let her sleep without underwear, so that this area will be able to breathe better and the skin can "relax" ( know many parents dont like it for various reasons, but it helps me a lot and some doctors recommend it), only use 100%cotton (preferably undyed white, that can be washed hot), use washing powder that can be used for sensitive/allergic ppl...
also if you believe, that the size of the outer labia may cause her to be unconfortable (when she sits/runs etc...), maybe it would cause less irritation, if cream or lubricant would be applied (it may prevent friction). I would ask the pediatrist what he/she thinks of this idea, and whether he/she could recommend a product suitable for young kids. (again, yes I understand, that applying products in this area can cause negative assossiations, I therefore stress the point that a doctor should be asked).
I know that as a child I did use a special cream (because I had very sensitive skin and I would have irritations and infections otherwise) and I did so until I was 14. it helped me a lot.
I dont know if my ideas help you, in any cae I hope that you will solve your problem (if she says it is unconfortable, than it must be quite annoying for her, poor girl). make sure not to ad a negative donnotation to this topic, make her feel that you try to help, and not to judge. at the age of 5 kids usually dont understand why it is inappropriate to touch certain body parts in public.
hazlacha

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 5:28 pm
and I forgot to mention: larger underwear is worth a try!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics