Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Going Green

Petra

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 8:24 am
I don't really know where to post this so I figure this forum is probably the best fit.

Anyway, I've been inspired to go green...as much as possible. I don't know how I'll do it living in a place that is pretty spread out and without good public transportation. I mean, I need my car to tranpsort my DS in one direction for school and me in the opposite to go to work.

Just wanted to get some hints on how people do it...while keeping kosher. This seems to be the biggest problem I think. All the things that aren't fresh fruits and vegetables need to be packaged and labeled kosher. That's a lot of plastic. Mind you, I haven't started any of this.

I'm a Starbucks drinking, styrofoam using, papernapkins and plastic utensil type person. I don't exercise, I don't drink water. Food to me is anything that has chocolate and sugar in it and is packaged...

So, I know it will be hard, but I'm starting to feel guilty and worry about how sustainable our consumption is.

I just signed up for the "No Impact" Week trial which starts January 3rd...I'm excited.

Any tips? Oh, I'll needs some about diapers too. Cloth diapers always seemed disgusting. I tried them once years ago and they never seemed to be what they were cracked up to be.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 8:39 am
I read this book a few months ago, I'll try to find the title, the gist was how going green can save you money. Leaving aside the theme, it seemed kind of practical to me. Can't say I implemented too much, but the point is that there is a variety of ways you can be gentler to the planet, if you find some not realistic or easy at the moment.

red sea

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 8:49 am
I don't think you should go from a starbucks drinking, styrofoam using, papernapkins and plastic utensil type person to an extreme green overnight. Its not practical & probably won't stick. Make changes that can stick - one or two at a time and you will find where your comfort zone is when you get there.

A good first step for you based on your description sounds like using real instead of plastic. I wouldn't jump right in to cloth diapers & no food that comes in packaging. If the environment concerns you , you can buy the diapers that are recycled/ biodegradable. Also you can be 85% foods without packaging instead of what you do now. Cooking from scratch will probably do that for you.

If you are worried about over using you car , plan for the week like you have no more gas money so to compact your driving as much as possible, dont go in circles or to the same place 3 times a week because you forgot to plan your shopping list.

Petra

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 9:41 am
Thanks for the tips thus far...on some fronts we are actually pretty frugal by necessity due to financial constraints. But, the advice to not go overboard right from the start is a good one.

I'm so clueless I didn't even know that there are recycled/biodegradable diapers.

mommalah

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 10:00 am
You can start by bringing your own bags to the grocery stores and ditching the plastic. Baby steps...

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 10:24 am
I would start by eating healthier.
Go for fresh fruits and veggies, rather than candy.
Vitamins are released by cooking, but if you can cook your own its better.
Use less sugar and non-whole grains.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 10:37 am
most supermarkets offer either prepackaged fruits and veggies and loose ones that you bag yourself. so I guess go for the loose ones.

recycle and compost, if you are not already. You can buy a compost bin. (luckily ours gets picked up...no clue what to actually DO with the stuff since I am not a gardener)

Replace your lightbulbs with low energy ones.

buy reusable shopping bags.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 10:37 am
also buy locally produced produce rather then imported stuff.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 11:03 am
Found the title - Shift Your Habit: Easy ways to save your money, simplify your life, and save the planet by Elizabeth Rogers.

(Go green and save green; get it out of the library. I doubt it's worth buying, and it's in keeping with the spirit of the book.)

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 11:12 am
Raisin wrote:
most supermarkets offer either prepackaged fruits and veggies and loose ones that you bag yourself. so I guess go for the loose ones.

recycle and compost, if you are not already. You can buy a compost bin. (luckily ours gets picked up...no clue what to actually DO with the stuff since I am not a gardener)

Replace your lightbulbs with low energy ones.

buy reusable shopping bags.

But WASH those bags.

ysydmom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 11:23 am
Please PM me I have some info for you.

Petra

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 11:54 am
[/quote]

But WASH those bags.[/quote]

Wash them with what? Isn't adding to the washing machine load and using more detergent very unfriendly? Which reminds me, I read somewhere the other day that the recycled plastic bags the grocery stores use actually have been detected to have fecal remnants. How can that be? I thought it was talking about the re-usable fabric bags but it wasn't.

I'm glad there are so many eager to help and are already environment friendly.

ReallyRosie

Post Fri, Dec 10 2010, 5:01 am
Another great book is called "Better Basics for the Home" - it's not so much about food, but about all the house-care products you can make yourself, that are far cheaper than what you buy in the stores. The author also shares her personal journey of "going green."

Vinegar and Baking soda together clean most things in the house (floors, bathroom fixtures, stain removers, etc.) Various essential oils that are anti-bacterial can be added (lavender, tea tree, etc.) You can also buy large canvas bags for shopping purposes, those can be thrown in the washing machine. I also use soap nuts for laundry and making basic soaps - less chemicals, cheaper and far more rewarding than the store bought stuff.

Start with something small, and enjoy it. Smile

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Dec 10 2010, 5:13 am
LeahsEma wrote:

But WASH those bags.[/quote]

Wash them with what? Isn't adding to the washing machine load and using more detergent very unfriendly? Which reminds me, I read somewhere the other day that the recycled plastic bags the grocery stores use actually have been detected to have fecal remnants. How can that be? I thought it was talking about the re-usable fabric bags but it wasn't.

I'm glad there are so many eager to help and are already environment friendly.[/quote]

It is talking about e-coli reusable cloth bags. http://tucsoncitizen.com/rynsk.....ays/.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 8:34 pm
Most "bag for life" shopping bags you get at supermarkets are just sturdier plastics.
Some stores charge small amounts for plastic bags, other stores give you extra "points" for reusing or using own bags.

Coffee shops--Starbucks definitely you can bring your own mugs.
Reduce heating temperatures in the house, use dishwashers less often.

Most important of all, reduce household wastes/increase recyclable collection, minimise food wastage.

Petra

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 8:17 am
Well, we recycle the plastic bags. I think that is better than rewashing non-disposable ones, for us anyway. I could be wrong but I think the washing machine and detergents can also be incredibly wasteful.

We don't have a dishwasher. Except our own hands.

But being mindful of wasting and excess paper, I've come to realize how incredibly wasteful Western societies can be. For example: x-mas---look at all that wasted paper, trees, cardboard boxes! If I were a environmentally conscious, naive schoolgirl, I might even lay awake at night worring about how quickly we are using up all our natural resources before we have an opportunity to cement alternative energies...just thinking about the trash created from NYC is unfathonable...

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 8:24 am
If you have an "ick factor" with cloth diapers you might want to consider a hybrid like the gDiaper. The outer pant is cloth, with a protective nylon (like a pad) down the centre. You can stuff the nylon with a disposable, but biodegradable, flushable stuffer. So you flush the soaker and re-use the rest. (Me, I do cloth all the way, and I use pre-folds in the gDiapers we have for my not-yet-night-trained preschooler, because to me the flushable is still throwing money away, but it sounds like a good middle-of-the-road approach if money is not the issue here.)

Real dishes & cutlery instead of disposable, unless you're having a huge crowd.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics