Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight Watchers Points PLUS
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:32 pm
What do you think of the new program??? Seems like so much is allowed....

Barbara

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
What do you think of the new program??? Seems like so much is allowed....

Is the new program running yet? I lost a ton on WW, gained most of it back due to severe depression, and have decided to re-join when the new program starts.

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:40 pm
when I logged in it said my new plan starts tomorrow.

bigmomma

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:45 pm
It does start tomorrow but our Program Leader went over it today!

NewYorkgal31

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 5:05 pm
I am very interested in this but would only be able to do the online version(dont have time to go to the meetings) I hope it will be easy to follow

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 5:08 pm
The new program is supposed to start tomorrow, but won't be on iphones (where I do my WW online monitoring) for a few days. What is the gist of the new program?

wispalover

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 5:13 am
It started today. I am *so* excited Smile Lots of fruit and veggies are zero points. It doesn't track calories anymore- it tracks other nutritional info of foods (eg. total fat, protein, carbs and fibre).

I think this will be a really good program for me- my problems with the old WW (even tho I have lost 30lbs to date with WW so far) is that I try really hard to eat healthy and eat clean, but it relied heavily on ability to eat whatever you want with no focus on healthy eating. e.g. if I have 3 points spare end of the day, I could choose to eat say a banana or 100 calorie pack treat. The 100 calorie pack treat won every single time. Now I can have my banana AND my 100 calorie pack treat, but the 100 calorie pack treat costs me like 5 points instead of 3.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 5:39 am
marsjanco wrote:
It started today. I am *so* excited Smile Lots of fruit and veggies are zero points. It doesn't track calories anymore- it tracks other nutritional info of foods (eg. total fat, protein, carbs and fibre).

I think this will be a really good program for me- my problems with the old WW (even tho I have lost 30lbs to date with WW so far) is that I try really hard to eat healthy and eat clean, but it relied heavily on ability to eat whatever you want with no focus on healthy eating. e.g. if I have 3 points spare end of the day, I could choose to eat say a banana or 100 calorie pack treat. The 100 calorie pack treat won every single time. Now I can have my banana AND my 100 calorie pack treat, but the 100 calorie pack treat costs me like 5 points instead of 3.

Wow! Sounds great! I know what you mean--I could have chocolate bars and call it a day (I'm down 60 with WW). But where was the nutrients? Good to know they are looking at the whole picture!

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 5:49 am
I'm editing my above answer. I just went to a computer to become acquainted with the new program, and I'm a tad overwhelmed. I'm freaked out by not counting calories. That's what we've been taught for years!

I'm going to start compiling a list of common Jewish foods and what their new points values are, and will post them on Imamommy. I'm also going to call them to ask them what the recalculation will be of their recipes. (I've posted a handful of WW recipes on here, so I'll edit those posts to make them accurate.)

wispalover

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 6:14 am
It's the same old problem with counting calories. Calories are important, but if we are getting calories from the wrong places then our weight loss (while it should still happen) will probably be less pronounced than it could be.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:06 am
But I thought the whole idea of WW was the simplicity in counting calories. Isn't that what makes it so easy? If I wanted a really complex whole new healthy way of eating, I would go to a nutritionist and get a 'food plan'. Or sparkpeople.com where they break down your daily eating into goals of x % from protein, carbs etc.

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 8:02 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
But I thought the whole idea of WW was the simplicity in counting calories. Isn't that what makes it so easy? If I wanted a really complex whole new healthy way of eating, I would go to a nutritionist and get a 'food plan'. Or sparkpeople.com where they break down your daily eating into goals of x % from protein, carbs etc.

Well, if you count proteins, fats and carbs, they're calories!

Per WW, the latest research has shown that our bodies metabolize proteins, fats, carbs etc in different ways. The old points system only looked at calories, fat and fiber to make a points calculation (that was basically 50 calories per point, with some reduction for fiber up to a certain amount, and IIRC a penalty for high fat). The new system calculates based on proteins, carbs, fat and I presume fiber to come up with a points value. All fruit (YAY bananas!) and most veggies are *free* So its still simple. You get X points per day. You know that an Arnold Sandwich Thin is 3 points (up from 1 on the old system). Etc etc.

What I hate is that I'm going to have to recalculate all of my old cookbooks and recipes.

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 8:05 am
Yocheved84 wrote:
I'm editing my above answer. I just went to a computer to become acquainted with the new program, and I'm a tad overwhelmed. I'm freaked out by not counting calories. That's what we've been taught for years!

I'm going to start compiling a list of common Jewish foods and what their new points values are, and will post them on Imamommy. I'm also going to call them to ask them what the recalculation will be of their recipes. (I've posted a handful of WW recipes on here, so I'll edit those posts to make them accurate.)

Is Imamommy here, or on the WW site?

iluvmykidso

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 9:54 am
everytime I start doing well on ww they turn it around and change the whole thing. I don't pay for a membership, but since I have the books I have been following the diet for almost 2 month and lost 30lb. so I think I will stay on the old plan for a bit longer.

NewYorkgal31

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 11:03 am
Just joined the online program! hope it works this time! had a bowl of honeydew with my breakfast and it was 0 points!! I love fruits so this might just work. made a chicken salad for lunch and all I had to count was the chicken, corn and dressing, the spinach and cherry tomato are free!!

CatLady

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 11:46 am
The new program doesn't roll out in Canada for another week, and I am getting really excited! I've lost a tad bit less than 70 pounds on WW Momentum, and I'm really happy to find a group of Point-er Sisters here, so we can compare notes. I am a math geek, so I'm looking forward to the new learning curve.

Can I have a few "spoilers" please? Is butternut squash really 0 points? What's the new Points count on quinoa or bulgur for 1 cup, cooked? Brown rice? Whole wheat pasta? Thanks in advance!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 1:06 pm
Funny!!! They just mentioned this on CBS news! How funny! It's actually a national news item!!!

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 1:13 pm
CatLady wrote:
The new program doesn't roll out in Canada for another week, and I am getting really excited! I've lost a tad bit less than 70 pounds on WW Momentum, and I'm really happy to find a group of Point-er Sisters here, so we can compare notes. I am a math geek, so I'm looking forward to the new learning curve.

Can I have a few "spoilers" please? Is butternut squash really 0 points? What's the new Points count on quinoa or bulgur for 1 cup, cooked? Brown rice? Whole wheat pasta? Thanks in advance!

It won't mean much to you yet, because you get more points per day, because a lot of things are higher points.

Butternut squash is zero.

One cup quinoa, cooked, is 5. Bulgur (cooked) is 5 per cup, brown rice (cooked) 5 per cup, whole wheat pasta (cooked) is 4.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 5:49 pm
Barbara wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:

Is Imamommy here, or on the WW site?

Sorry--I often refer to this board as "Imamommy." I called WW this morning and they said it will take a few days to get the kinks out of the system, and they didn't know about recalculating the recipe points.

wispalover

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 2:54 pm
I am truly LOVING the points plus system. Honestly, I try and eat really clean and it was harder to follow WW like that becuase I was so tempted to use all my points on junk instead of fruit. This seems to be the kick up the ... that I desperately needed and I B'H am trying and seemingly ok on it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise