Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
WWYD? Shabbos simcha and non-Jewish/non religous guests

happyone

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 3:01 pm
Here's my predicament. I am making a shabbos simcha in several weeks. I have many non-religious and non-jewish friends and co-workers that would love to be part of my simcha. My concern is, they will be driving up to my house on Shabbos
I didn't officially send them an invitation for that reason, but they know the date, and will probably show up regardless. I cannot allow (or control) the chillul shabbos from the non observant ones, and it won't look right having cars come up to my simcha shabbos from the non Jewish ones...
what would you do in this situation?

Barbara

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 3:16 pm
happyone wrote:
Here's my predicament. I am making a shabbos simcha in several weeks. I have many non-religious and non-jewish friends and co-workers that would love to be part of my simcha. My concern is, they will be driving up to my house on Shabbos
I didn't officially send them an invitation for that reason, but they know the date, and will probably show up regardless. I cannot allow (or control) the chillul shabbos from the non observant ones, and it won't look right having cars come up to my simcha shabbos from the non Jewish ones...
what would you do in this situation?

Mazel tov.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the non-Jews. They're allowed to drive on Shabbat. Are you concerned that people will think they're Jewish?

As to the Jews, let them know that you're more than happy to make accommodations for them so they need not drive, and make sure they know that you can't invite them if you think they'll be driving. If they show up then, its really on them, and they'll also probably realize that they should park a block or two away.

alpidarkomama

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:01 pm
Even if you have Jews driving to your house, you will know that for those hours they are with you they will not be doing any melachos, and you are sharing with them a small piece of what shabbos can really be.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 10:50 pm
Non-Jews aren't a problem.

Jews: Invite them if they live in the area and COULD come without violating Shabbat. Otherwise invite them and offer to help accommodate them in the area. They can choose not to and still come but you have done what you can to see that they don't violate Shabbat.

Enjoy their company and make them feel welcome. It could encourage some to become frum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics