Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Collecting money from the kids

raizy

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 9:48 pm
I feel that the school collects way to much money for extras.. just the other day I gave my son 8 $ for a trip to the jungle gym. then the next day my dauther came home she needs 13 $ for purom money .. they give all the teachers a communal gift.. I feel this is a waste of my money.... I pay eneough tutuion and I dont feel I have to support every stushe ..maybe I am wrong in my feelings... but it adds up.. then the next day my 3rd son came home with a note that he is the choosen child to bring a nash for the shabbos party ... then I had a dega vue when my dauther pranced in opened her lunchbox and voila anther note she is the shabbos mommei. then my son walkes in the door and I told him you dont have to tell me I know u are the shabbos tatie.. right .. he asked me how I knew .... 3 kids in the same week... that means 3 big bags of chips and 3 containers of jellies !!!!! it all adds up over ten dollars for sure.

I would like to know what other parents pay for their kids stuff .. I am still very young and new to this game.

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 9:54 pm
Raizy don't you mean by your title then, collecting money for the kids, rather then from Wink

I totaly understand your point and I think at P.T.A meetings there should be talks about this stuff, since I'm sure you are not the only parent to feel that way.

I know of a Beis Yakkov School that limits birthdays extravaganzas, Bas Mitzvahs and when buying teachers gifts there's rules for that too.

raizy

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 9:55 pm
sorry I got a d or was it f in grammer....

raizy

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 9:57 pm
I got really mad when they wanted to give every secatary and princeapal a present... dont they get a salery.... mallah the teachers they deserve it...

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 10:02 pm
Quote:
sorry I got a d or was it f in grammer....

Twisted Evil Psssss I failed too LOL

It's a real issue but the only ones in my humble opinion, which I value greatly Wink who could really help would be the parents board or committee to come together w/h alternatives to this crazy and unfortunatley common scenerio.

B"h w/h us here in the woods it's not as bad as you have it. And parents do speak up and are heard.

raizy

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 10:09 pm
where in canada do u live and which schoold do your kids attend. I also live in montreal..

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 10:11 pm
Put it this way I am not far from Alaska, and a 5hr trip from you. My children attend a small Torah Umesorah style school 8)

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 11:06 pm
I once registered for a cheap camp - well, I payed the difference in various 'fees'. Next year I sent to a more expencive camp, but I payed & had no surcharges!!

go figure!
BA'H, we don't have too many co-pays yet.
Just Shabbos parties, for which I bake to save the $ + my kids feel special bringing the stuff they made themselves!

raizy

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 9:31 pm
cheap cheap who said anything that my kids go to a cheap school.. I pay my hoiszen and zoxhen( pants and socks).believe me I pay rent on all the tution a dutyfully cough up every months... that is why I am so mad that I have to pay on top of that...

yes I was asked once bye my guest if she can walk over to toronto and be back for shallshas seasdaes....
also my not so bright couison wanted to know if she can sleep bye me and eat in tosh .... Very Happy yum I think alot of pple have no concept of geography////

Tovah

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 12:58 pm
every school always have extra's, but maybe you can sudgest that you give 50 for a slush fund and don't ask me for any more money through out the year wheither purim baskets for teachers. in my day we would bring food per teacher not money, and it was divided by the class so it ended up being 6 dollars. I know in my days we would send in money every time a teacher had a baby. and what chutzpa when we asked what they needed, they always ans. the most expensive stroller or high chair. I remember my mother fuming when I asked her for 10 dollars and this was the 3rd teacher that yr to give birth.

micki

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 2:18 pm
don't you have the shulchan aruch that says "kol yimai chayecha lehuvi momoyn laday school?"
"all the days of you life to give money to the day school?"

yep same problem here- every day its another mandatory reason why I have to give $$
take the $50 mandatory family obligation to buy school raffle tickets. so we decided not to do it- what are they gonna do- break into my bank account?
well they call me up the day of the deadline tell me that I will be charged $50 extra on tuition regardless of wether I buy tickets or not. so I say well if you are blackmailing me anyway why did you bother to call me?

we have journal adds, raffle tickets scholl rosh chodesh lunches, gift for teacher, pta dues women leugue dues, basket dues, bake sales, shaloch manos in lieu of's, gosh the list is endless.
this year I am ignoring them all.

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 2:42 pm
Quote:
don't you have the shulchan aruch that says "kol yimai chayecha lehuvi momoyn laday school?"

Yep just looked it up in Hilchos Shtus Very Happy

raizy

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 9:20 pm
mikki how can u ignore them all.???
the lady who is collecting who happens to be my friend just told me that I can give how much I want.well I dont want to be the only one not to give the required 13 dollars. so what do I do.??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics