Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Esther and Achashveirosh: wasn't this ye'hareg ubal ya'avor?
Previous  1  2  3

Mommyme1

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 9:13 am
shosh wrote:
I wasn't exactly taught about the s-xual side of Esther's relationship with Achasheverosh either. But when you read Rashi or Meam Loez on how much she couldn't stand him, if you think about it, this explains why. She was dragged off to marry him. He slept with as many virgins as he could. One meforesh (can't remember which) says that she kept the laws of mikveh. And he was beginning to tire of her when Mordechai told her to go to him. It must have been truly horrible for her, and her evident distaste for him is more than understandable, especially when put in that light.

Also if you read the English in an Artscroll Chumash. I remember when I first read it and was wondering what the word intercourse meant because it kept coming up - till I put two & two together...
(and yes, I knew the other word for it...)

I keep wondering now what I used to think in elementary school now that I understand the adult versions of some of the stories in Tanach - I don't remember ever being confused or thinking part of the story was missing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 9:18 am
Just another note. She's called an ayelet hashachar, because Hashem made it that she was k'ilu a bisula to Achashverosh every time -- he had that hanoah from her.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 9:47 am
We learned the full story about Esther in high school. I'm grateful they taught it to us so I didn't have to go through life with an elementary perspective of the Megillah.
Yael and Yehudis OTOH, I didn't know they did more than lead them on and knock them out.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:54 am
How did Achashverosh like Esther and choose her as queen if she "made herself as dirt" and did not participate in the act?

grin

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
How did Achashverosh like Esther and choose her as queen if she "made herself as dirt" and did not participate in the act?
maybe it's another one of the miracles?

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 12:30 pm
Maybe that golem/shin-dalet was really something.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics