Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does recent awareness scare away molesters?

kitov

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:00 am
Reading all the threads about the recent height of awareness and more willingness to report offenders, I wonder, does it scare away these bad guys, or do they only become more keen in covering their tracks, ummm, deeds?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:09 am
Unfortunately, there will be some people who are just not aware.....that's what's so sad. A child without parents that talk openly, a child going thru a rough time.....

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:30 am
Possibly a few. Mostly I think it will just make them more careful.

I do think that it will make parents more likely to sit down with their kids and talk about where you can't be touched, being made uncomfortable, etc. We've had that talk with our 8-yr-old foster son -- I do not recall having it with our older sons (both over 18 ).

sneakermom

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:41 am
Let's put it this way we are moving away from being a breeding ground for molesters...True there are always vulnerable people around. But the molesters don't have that open freedom to pillage as they please.

And the more we talk about it. The more we know....the less tolerant we are of them. The less they will be able to do these things. And if they do....the more they will find themselves in jail where they can feel free to molest each other!

Fox

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:45 am
Sadly, I'm unaware of any research that suggests that greater awareness curbs the behavior of predators.

However, I'm very disturbed that people think that simply talking to children about the possibility that they may be approached is necessarily all it takes to make them "predator-proof." As Chayalle says, children who need attention will always be potential victims, and one of the most common effects felt by victims is guilt -- because they actually enjoyed the attention they received from the predator.

While it's an excellent practice for kids to identify feelings of discomfort, it's of little use for the kids who are truly the most likely to become victims -- not only will they not experience discomfort; they may actually welcome the attention at the time.

So parents should definitely have the "talk" with kids, but they shouldn't kid themselves that the subject is closed. More important than telling kids who may touch them physically, where, and when; we have to do what we can to make sure our kids are not susceptible to the emotional manipulation that characterizes abuse.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:51 am
Fox wrote:
Sadly, I'm unaware of any research that suggests that greater awareness curbs the behavior of predators.

However, I'm very disturbed that people think that simply talking to children about the possibility that they may be approached is necessarily all it takes to make them "predator-proof." As Chayalle says, children who need attention will always be potential victims, and one of the most common effects felt by victims is guilt -- because they actually enjoyed the attention they received from the predator.

While it's an excellent practice for kids to identify feelings of discomfort, it's of little use for the kids who are truly the most likely to become victims -- not only will they not experience discomfort; they may actually welcome the attention at the time.

So parents should definitely have the "talk" with kids, but they shouldn't kid themselves that the subject is closed. More important than telling kids who may touch them physically, where, and when; we have to do what we can to make sure our kids are not susceptible to the emotional manipulation that characterizes abuse.

ITA with this post. Well said.

ora_43

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 12:02 pm
I agree with Fox and sneakermom.

I don't think molesters are so easy to scare off. If they were thinking of all the consequences of what they do, they probably wouldn't do it in the first place. People who act on pedophilia are like addicts, and you can't deter addicts very well - for example, I doubt many current heroin addicts would go off heroin if there was a police crackdown.

But you can make it more likely they will be caught. Also, you can make certain populations less vulnerable - eg, make sure teachers are never alone with students, which may not stop a pedophile teacher from molesting but could stop them from molesting a student.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 12:28 pm
3rding Fox and Ora...really nothing more to add.
If they were going to be scared away I think it would have happened by now.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 1:50 pm
maybe it doesn't scare them away but I think parents are better at dealing with the after effects and are probably more likely to beleive their children and do something about it.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 2:13 pm
Raisin wrote:
maybe it doesn't scare them away but I think parents are better at dealing with the after effects and are probably more likely to beleive their children and do something about it.

That yes. I agree with that part of your statement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics