Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Fri nite dinner

amother

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:28 pm
how do you keep your fri nite dinner hot? everything I make is always luke warm and it is not good. for instance how can you keep shnitzel hot? also how can you keep meat hot or chicken hot, when I cant leave oven on?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
how do you keep your fri nite dinner hot? everything I make is always luke warm and it is not good. for instance how can you keep shnitzel hot? also how can you keep meat hot or chicken hot, when I cant leave oven on?
a hot plate, plata or blech or even on top of our urn.

Lani22

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:32 pm
I heat everything up before shabbas in a very hot oven I turn it up to 500 like 30 min before shabbas. then right before shabbas I turn the oven off. my food usually stays very hot.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:33 pm
I warm up everything in the oven and turn it off right before lighting candles. I have a hot plate that I use too.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:39 pm
Blech on the stove top and I leave my oven on 210-215 because it has a shabbos feature that turns off sometime early shabbos morning.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:49 pm
whats the halacha with a hotplate? can I piut liquid on it?

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
whats the halacha with a hotplate? can I piut liquid on it?
I was told the only time you can put liquids on a blech on shabbos is if the liquid is at the temperature that you would eat it right then, then you can put it on.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:58 pm
pinkbubbles wrote:
I warm up everything in the oven and turn it off right before lighting candles. I have a hot plate that I use too.
same here

amother

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:00 pm
I also warm up in the over but it doesnt stay very hot.. how long do you warm it for? also what do you mean that you can put liquid on if you would it eat that way? wat if I want to warm up saucy chicken for guest but I would personally eat the chicken cold ??

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:05 pm
OP - you need to ask your rov what you are allowed to do, with your appliances.

I can breezily advise you to keep your oven on, for example, but mine has a Shabbos feature. KWIM ?

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:08 pm
If the liquid is heated up to a boiling point before Shabbat starts, why can't it be placed on a hot plate to stay hot Fri night before lighting? I was under the impression that only after shabbat starts is it a problem. All food can stay hot that way.

I, personally, heat up everything in the oven before Shabbat and put on a timer that turns everything off. Even without a timer in an oven that is off right before lighting, food stays pretty hot in an oven that is cooling off slowly.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:11 pm
mandksima I am asking about shabbos day using a hotplate to warm up liquid.

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
mandksima I am asking about shabbos day using a hotplate to warm up liquid.

So what were you asking about fri night dinner?

Shabbat day you can't heat up liquid unless you keep it hot in a crock pot or on the blech overnight from before Shabbat.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:55 pm
mandksima wrote:
If the liquid is heated up to a boiling point before Shabbat starts, why can't it be placed on a hot plate to stay hot Fri night before lighting? I was under the impression that only after shabbat starts is it a problem. All food can stay hot that way.

I, personally, heat up everything in the oven before Shabbat and put on a timer that turns everything off. Even without a timer in an oven that is off right before lighting, food stays pretty hot in an oven that is cooling off slowly.
Interesting... I was told that it can be put on after shabbos as long as it is hot enough to be eaten right then. Hm... maybe I understood the rav wrong.

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 3:02 pm
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
mandksima wrote:

Interesting... I was told that it can be put on after shabbos as long as it is hot enough to be eaten right then. Hm... maybe I understood the rav wrong.

But how would it be hot if it wasn't heated just then? You might be right if it is hot enough but why not put it on right away before Shabbat starts and not risk it getting too cooled off?

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 11:46 am
There are plenty of people who use their oven on shabbat. Its the same as opening the refrigerator. I only know of one person who does not open their refrigerator unless the motor is on.

Ask your own rav.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions