Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Gefilte Fish-- carrot trick!
1  2  Next

batya_d

Post Sat, Aug 19 2006, 11:34 pm
I tried this new trick with the carrot for Gefilte Fish this week, and it was a big success!

Boil the fish loaf w/the carrot as usual for approx. 30 mins. Then remove from water, put carrot aside, and carefully unwrap the fish.

Take a turkey baster and remove the plastic bulb, so it's just the stick. Push the baster through the fish loaf from one end to the other (the long way), clear through the middle. Remove the baster, and the carrot will fit perfectly through the slot.

Re-wrap the fish and place back in pot, and finish cooking as you usually would.

When you slice the fish, each piece will have a slice of carrot in the middle. It's such a nice trick!

Mommy912

Post Sun, Aug 20 2006, 2:10 am
Do you think there is a problem with using a turkey baster - used with meat - together with the fish?
(for people that don't eat meat with fish)

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Aug 20 2006, 2:21 am
I think nobody eats meat with fish. But you can buy an extra baster for the fish, no?

batya_d

Post Sun, Aug 20 2006, 6:23 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
I think nobody eats meat with fish. But you can buy an extra baster for the fish, no?

We don't eat meat with fish, but our rav says it's ok to use the same keilim for both...

happy2beme

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 10:00 am
oh man! I just threw out my baster cuz I never use it & I couldn't attach the bulb back on to the stick!!! Too bad I read this a little too late! I just threw it out on friday....
That is such a cute trick!!!!
How in the world did u think of that? u must b very inventive!

batya_d

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 10:09 am
happy2beme wrote:
oh man! I just threw out my baster cuz I never use it & I couldn't attach the bulb back on to the stick!!! Too bad I read this a little too late! I just threw it out on friday....
That is such a cute trick!!!!
How in the world did u think of that? u must b very inventive!

I got it the same way I get all my recipes and ideas... from other ppl's shabbos tables!

happy2beme

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 11:42 am
lol, batya

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 1:17 pm
Here's a problem.... Maybe someone can answer

There are only two people in my family that eat gefilte Fish... One me and the other my son..

What to do with the extra?? Can I refreeze?

Also... how to make extra carrots... my kids love the soft "fishy" carrots

Mishie

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 1:39 pm
You can make a half a roll at a time....

As for the carrots -
You can throw in to the pot as many carrots as you'd like!!!
LOL

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 1:50 pm
Thanx, that's a great idea!

MMEC123

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 5:51 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
Here's a problem.... Maybe someone can answer

There are only two people in my family that eat gefilte Fish... One me and the other my son..

What to do with the extra?? Can I refreeze?
I have a similar situation- DH is the only one who likes fish and only likes it at Shabbos meals (won't eat it leftover during the week). Whenever I buy a roll I let it sit out for a few minutes- it really doesn't take long- and I cut it in third or in half. You can boil it without the paper on it and it works fine.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 8:57 pm
[/quote]I have a similar situation- DH is the only one who likes fish and only likes it at Shabbos meals (won't eat it leftover during the week). Whenever I buy a roll I let it sit out for a few minutes- it really doesn't take long- and I cut it in third or in half. You can boil it without the paper on it and it works fine.[/quote]

I cut in half and leave the paper on, and boil it....sadly we have leftovers from half a roll!

MMEC123

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 10:05 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Quote:
I have a similar situation- DH is the only one who likes fish and only likes it at Shabbos meals (won't eat it leftover during the week). Whenever I buy a roll I let it sit out for a few minutes- it really doesn't take long- and I cut it in third or in half. You can boil it without the paper on it and it works fine.

I cut in half and leave the paper on, and boil it....sadly we have leftovers from half a roll!
Cut it into thirds!

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Sep 24 2006, 8:32 pm
maybe I'm not understanding, but then what do you do with the fish that you pushed out to make room for the carrot?

batya_d

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 1:54 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
maybe I'm not understanding, but then what do you do with the fish that you pushed out to make room for the carrot?

I had the same question at first, but there actually isn't any that pops out at the end when you push the carrot through-- the carrot just pushes the fish out to the sides, as it is still mushy at that point, and comes out clean. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 12:11 pm
I did this last week and it was so cool!
Only problem is that I bake (don't boil) my fish, so the carrot was a little too firm, but still good!

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 12:26 pm
While I find that it is more convienient to bake g. fish it tastes so much better boiled. Or maybe I just don't know how to bake it right Wink

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 12:34 pm
And now, I find boiled is just to watery for me, so I liked baked better- but when I over bake it, it's not so good.

batya_d

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 3:55 pm
613 wrote:
And now, I find boiled is just to watery for me, so I liked baked better- but when I over bake it, it's not so good.

I don't know why sometimes the boiled fish comes out watery and sometimes not-- does it have to do with the brand, cooking length, or how tight the paper stays on?

I like baked with sesame seeds on for a change once and a while.

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 10:03 am
Can you please tell me how you bake it - so that it doesnt dry out and also do you do it with carrots and onions and how do they cook and not be to hard?

If boiled fish is too watery my guess is the length of time it is in water or it could be the brand. Most likely it the lenght of time it is in the water for.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics