Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Gefilte Fish-- carrot trick!
Previous  1  2

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 10:17 am
I bake mine in a loaf type pan. Put a little water on the bottom to cover the bottom of the pan. Take loaf out of the paper (you need to let it defrost a little to be able to do this). Sprinkle paprika (optional) and sugar on top of the loaf. Bake for 20-25 minutes uncovered, then 20-25 minutes covered at 350'. That's it!

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 10:32 am
I find that when baking my fish, I don't need to add any water at the bottom of the pan, there is enough moisture in the fish itself if I bake it covered. I bake it at 400F. When the aroma smells "baked", I check under the foil. If the paper is starting to brown at the top and bottom of the loaf it's done.

Sometimes I uncover it at the end so that it browns quicker. No one here likes mushy half-baked fish, we want it somewhat dry on the outside and not too moist on the inside.

When I make it on the stove-top I make sure not to put in too much water, only enough to cover the loaves 3/4 up. it gives it more of a steamed effect (must cover with good lid), and the fish comes out very good. But halfway through cooking I do turn the loaves, just to make sure it's thoroughly cooked.

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 10:49 am
I bake my fish with a tiny bit of water and onions and sugar at the bottom of the pan, remove the paper, cover tightly and bake, or I use diced tomatos and pour in on top and bake

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 8:00 pm
I bake fish (to save on washing a pot). I put a little oil and sugar and paprika on it and bake 1-1 1/2 hrs. I don't do carrots or onion bec they will come out hard and not good in the oven. I bake without the wrapper and pour a little of the sauce on the bottom of pan and poke holes into the top of the fish before I pouir the sauce on top. tightly coverd it usually comes out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.

Mommish

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 8:12 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
Here's a problem.... Maybe someone can answer

There are only two people in my family that eat gefilte Fish... One me and the other my son..

What to do with the extra??

Invite guests! My dh and I don't like fish so much, so I only make it when we have guests.

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 2:04 pm
Quote:
pour a little of the sauce

What do you make the sauce out of.

I see that alot of ppl. use sugar on their fish, I make mine spicy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 4:28 pm
Sonniboni wrote:
Quote:
pour a little of the sauce

What do you make the sauce out of.

I see that alot of ppl. use sugar on their fish, I make mine spicy.

Me too. I don't like sweet gefilte fish. And baking it makes it so much easier to flavor it Smile
I put water on bottom of pan. I used to cover it, but I find it swells better if I don't. If I have time, I put on a few sliced onion rings.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics