Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Why are so many frum people scared of animals?
Previous  1  2  3

tikva18

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 3:34 pm
I hope that anyone who comes to my house isn't afraid of my little dog. I do understand being afraid - we don't know how strange people are going to act, much less an animal. I think it's wise to be cautious. But if you come visit me, I promise my dog is nice and not scary - and, now, quite old.

edited to add: I think it's good for kids to have an animal that they can cuddle and tell their concerns to - dogs don't judge, they are just there for you. Also, my dog is my 'oldest' - lehavdil, I got him when dh and I lived in different states (due to him supervising a plant in another state) and I was afraid to live alone (not such a great neighborhood, and newly pregnant).

3mitzvos

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 4:24 pm
I grew up with dogs and love them, they're sooo sweet and loving. We wouldn't get a dog, though, b/c it's not accepted in our community and the halachic problems that may arise w/shabbos. When I first became frum I remember being so upset that I couldn't have a dog.
Well, at least when I go to visit my sister I'll be able to play with her new puppy!!! (see avatar)

As far as frum people being scared of animals, I agree with the other imamothers that it's basically because they just haven't been exposed to animals as pets. They don't go over to their friends' houses and play with the family dog or cat. They didn't watch Lassie or Animal Planet on tv. The only dogs and cats they're seeing are the strays.

RPESN

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 4:45 pm
I think I trained myself not to be afraid of animals whilst getting through Tales of The Heavenly City. I learnt at some point about dogs sensing your fear. That's really hard-to walk calmly, but to not feel fear. The shkutzim used to set their dogs on us when I was a child (which caused most of us 2 b scared of dogs long term), and the post about rabies just reminded me about another fear! I don't have a high pain threshold so was also scared of being bitten or scratched (scratched by cats). It was only once I got my first scratch from a cat a couple of years ago that I could keep my hand out to be sniffed without involuntarily pulling away last minute. I'm training my kids not to be scared. Kids have a fear of sudden noises (we used to jump a mile when in the midst of a jolly conversation on the way to school, we'd pass a house with an Alsatian which used to suddenly go off in a barking frenzy jumping up at the gate).
So yes, exposure, learned behaviour (my parents are NOT scared of animals which is why I'm prob ok now), and bad experiences all contribute.

sequoia

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 2:44 am
3mitzvos wrote:
When I first became frum I remember being so upset that I couldn't have a dog.

Given that everyone on this site is frum, hasn't this section convinced you otherwise?

I understand you can't get one b/c it's not accepted in your community. But as you see, there are soo many people with dogs on this website (a lot more than I expected when I requested this section!), so obviously they work around the shabbat issues somehow.

With cats it's easier -- you can't clean the litter but you can add clean litter, so it's okay for the 25 hours.

ewa-jo

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 4:08 am
[quote="sequoia"]
3mitzvos wrote:
With cats it's easier -- you can't clean the litter but you can add clean litter, so it's okay for the 25 hours.

If you get the good clumping cat litter, you only have to clean it several times a week. We have 2 cats and I do it 2-3 times a week. Also, if we're going away for Shabbos, we leave the cats extra food and water (they're indoor cats) and they are fine.

sequoia

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 12:45 pm
We also leave the cats extra food and water when going away for shabbos, and they're fine. Longer than that, though, and I ask a neighbor to check up on them.

Do you live in a house or apartment? I can't imagine cleaning the litter less often than twice a day. We live in a tiny apartment.

(Your video! Still makes me smile! Every time! Kitteh! Baby! Love! Ahh!!!)
embarrassed

finprof

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 10:36 pm
I moved from a small community where I was common to have a dog to Chicago and people definalty react differently to my dog here. He is all of 12 lbs but kids commonly run around us on the sidewalk even if I pick him up! Sad

bigsis144

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 10:58 pm
I think it's cultural. If most grown women will CROSS THE STREET to avoid someone walking their terrier on a leash, no one will look twice at you. I've got a sister in college who's like that, and all her friends are the same. I think she's NUTS, and plan on MAKING SURE my kids have exposure to animals so they're not crazy like that.

My sister must have picked it up from her friends, 'cuz none of my other siblings are like that. My mother had 3 dogs (one of them a part-Irish Wolfhound. Gorgeous, huge, very dimwitted beast!) and 2 cats when she and my father got married, so my parents are cool with animals too.

Once all the animals died, my parents didn't replace them, because 6 kids is enough chaos. (Though the sister below the one terrified of dogs begged my parents to trade scaredy-cat sister in for a puppy.) But now that I'm moved out, my family adopted a kitten. My 12-year old brother toilet-trained it. Smile (His Asperger shtick is animals -- maybe he'll be a vet someday.)

Last edited by bigsis144 on Sat, Feb 12 2011, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chloe

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 11:02 pm
I didn't read through this thread but I would say it's ignorance. I grew up thinking that dogs were dangerous and they would bite if they come close to me.
Now I know that it isn't true and have no issues with dogs at all, unless it's a pitbull Wink

Tikvah, your dog is adorable!

tikva18

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:52 am
finprof wrote:
I moved from a small community where I was common to have a dog to Chicago and people definalty react differently to my dog here. He is all of 12 lbs but kids commonly run around us on the sidewalk even if I pick him up! Sad

We won't be afraid. And I'll have you know that when we first moved to WRP people were likewise afraid, but by the end of that first summer even my chasidishe friends were telling their kids to just wash their hands when they were done petting him.

tikva18

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:55 am
Chloe wrote:
I didn't read through this thread but I would say it's ignorance. I grew up thinking that dogs were dangerous and they would bite if they come close to me.
Now I know that it isn't true and have no issues with dogs at all, unless it's a pitbull Wink

Tikvah, your dog is adorable!

Thanks, I think so too. He's 15 1/2 - almost 16. I got him when I was expecting my first and I was nervous about the neighborhood where we lived. My dh lived in a different state and only came home for Shabbos - so I told him he could get me a dog or a person. He chose wisely Smile

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 4:02 pm
detroitmom wrote:
So basically it's completely cultural. I wondered if there was a halachic component to it at all.

Detroitmom, On the contrary, I believe the Torah stresses how we should be nice to dogs, because when the Jews went out of Mitzrayim, no dog barked or stuck out their tongue to them Yes

amother

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 4:09 pm
because my neighbor's dog almost bit me when I was a kid

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 5:22 pm
Interestingly, as a shadchante these days I keep meeting frum people who breed or work with animals. LOL

Depressed

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 9:39 pm
leida leida
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets