Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Kids Speak / People Speak
Previous  1  2

healthymama

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 4:45 pm
how do prank phonecalls make a woman so afraid that she miscarries ? I must be missing something here. Did she read the newspaper while she was pregnant ? I am always skeptical when people figure out who to blame for a miscarriage.

Esther01

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 4:59 pm
Quote:
how do prank phonecalls make a woman so afraid that she miscarries ? I must be missing something here. Did she read the newspaper while she was pregnant ? I am always skeptical when people figure out who to blame for a miscarriage.

READ THE BOOK.

I read the first three kids speak and I though that most of the stories were amazing and a lot to learn from.
the adult books though I think are sad and horrible.... I threw out the book after reading it. (I should have thrown it out before reading it) it just makes you feel that you are living in a crazy world. there was one nice story about the young boy who saved a young girls from bullies and gets a terrible cut in his face. is left with a horrible scar... has problems with shidduchim because of the scar... and then the girl who he saved ends up marrying him.

Tova

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:02 pm
I hope it's OK to bump up this thread; I did a Chaim Walder search on the boards after posting how I am (so far) enjoying his newest book (which is non-fiction) - Advice for Life.

Regarding the Kids Speak series, I think they are VERY appropriate for children. Perhaps to be read by the parent to the child, so the parent can discuss the lesson of each one (ie - not making fun of a kid in the class with glasses, etc.) And not all of them are sad at all. Some of them are very very happy - ie - the deaf boy with the telescope who spotted a ship going down and directed the naval academy in saving the soldiers. And the "Malky" story, the girl who was molested, was SO appropriately done (IMO); it's exactly the springboard I would want to use to talk to my kids about the issue. Of course it's a bit scary, but everyone agrees that we have to tell our kids not to go with strangers or let themselves be touched.

Regarding the People Speak and other adult series - yes, some are sad (and there are some I liked more than others), but doesn't anyone else find that a certain sadness or POIGNANCY is actually very deep and can touch you where nothing else can? Think of the Dveykus song - Tatte Tatte... (who doesn't cry? But isn't it a "good" cry because you are connecting to the pain of our grandparents in the camp...). Or rachmana litzlan, going to a levaya and crying. I am not talking about being one of the aveilim, but someone less closely attached. Isn't it so sad but yet makes you feel whole and connected to Hashem (because we realize that this world is not the be-all and end-all and that talks to our neshama?).

Tova

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:12 pm
I am just remembering a very time appropriate story of his.

All the bochurim in the yeshiva learned all night Shavous but needed to find someone who did sleep to lead in birchas hashachar...always was the same guy who was ribbed about it, especially by one of the top bochurim in the yeshiva...who remained there year after year as an alter bachur.

After many years he went to ask mechilla, and was of course forgiven, but the twist is that this bachur's cheshbon was to sleep the first night, but stay up all night and learn the second night when all of the other bachurim collapsed from exhaustion! That way he ensured there was learning in the yeshiva both nights of Shavous! [And here he was teased that he didn't have the stamina to stay up all night and never divulged his secret.]

Who can't learn from a story like that? It's not depressing --- it's uplifting!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:29 pm
I LOVED that story.
we need more chaim walder stories.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:06 am
Tova wrote:
I hope it's OK to bump up this thread; I did a Chaim Walder search on the boards after posting how I am (so far) enjoying his newest book (which is non-fiction) - Advice for Life.

Regarding the Kids Speak series, I think they are VERY appropriate for children. Perhaps to be read by the parent to the child, so the parent can discuss the lesson of each one (ie - not making fun of a kid in the class with glasses, etc.) And not all of them are sad at all. Some of them are very very happy - ie - the deaf boy with the telescope who spotted a ship going down and directed the naval academy in saving the soldiers. And the "Malky" story, the girl who was molested, was SO appropriately done (IMO); it's exactly the springboard I would want to use to talk to my kids about the issue. Of course it's a bit scary, but everyone agrees that we have to tell our kids not to go with strangers or let themselves be touched.

Regarding the People Speak and other adult series - yes, some are sad (and there are some I liked more than others), but doesn't anyone else find that a certain sadness or POIGNANCY is actually very deep and can touch you where nothing else can? Think of the Dveykus song - Tatte Tatte... (who doesn't cry? But isn't it a "good" cry because you are connecting to the pain of our grandparents in the camp...). Or rachmana litzlan, going to a levaya and crying. I am not talking about being one of the aveilim, but someone less closely attached. Isn't it so sad but yet makes you feel whole and connected to Hashem (because we realize that this world is not the be-all and end-all and that talks to our neshama?).

I totally agree with you. I read a bunch in Hebrew to work on my vocabulary. My kids are still little but in the future, I could see myself reading them with the kids or reading in advance to discuss with my kids. A lot of them can be good teaching lessons: the kid who drank/ate a bunch of random medication, various bullying/teasing type stories, etc
Even now, I use illustrations in whatever book we're reading to emphasize certain points, be it a drawing of someone crossing the street, someone who looks angry but doesn't hit, etc

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:22 am
Rabbi Chaim Walder is a quiet revolutionary, shaping a whole generation of Chareidi kids to listen to their feelings and be aware of circumstances beyond their dalet amos.

To answer whether boys like the books, mine certainly do, but my sons are very attuned to feelings. They like girls' books as well boys' books.

Some of the adult stories shock me, yes, but I get scared by regular tv shows.

zigi

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 6:36 am
when I was a kid I couldn't wait to read the next volume of his books. I also liked people speak. and I really liked stories of heroes, I think that what it was called, if your kids are sheltered amaybe its not that good to read everything. but I also read non jewish books and they are not all rosy about life.

Reader

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:30 am
There is a new vol. out Kids Speak 9 Jbupdates.com

LisaS

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 12:45 pm
My son told me that Dan Melech is a pen name for Chaim Walder; that is why the books are similar. Does anyone know if that is true?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 5:31 pm
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room