Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Art and Judaism

Apple pie

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:10 am
What is the place of art in jewish life? Are the 2 compatible?
Do you find that artistic expression is well accepted in Jewish religious society?
Is it easy for someone to express him/herself and find him/herself artistically?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:45 am
I think Judaism and (clean) art to be very compatible. Look at all the writers, painters, singers, cantors, poets...
And then you have religious art, not only accepted but very enjoyed!

Apple pie

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:07 am
What do you mean by religious art?

"Clean art" means you take out a very big part of existing art... how do you deal with non-tznius art or art from other religions? Can you learn art without learning about those?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:15 am
Religious art would be art about/inspired from Judaism.
Can be Shwekey, can be Ushpizin, can be some songs of Sarit Hadad, can be that nice short story about shabbes whose title I can't remember. It's ultra large.

You need to ask YOUR rav what is clean art to YOU (it may be larger than you think) and whether you can learn questionable art if it's for learning. It's probably larger for a woman, especially a married one.

I personally do not plan to show art that crosses real lines to my children. So, going to a museum would require us to go first and know where we shouldn't go, for example.
Ballet I would take a daughter, but not a son. A show of Israeli dances in proper clothing, maybe I would take a son, it would depend on his way of being and also what my rav would say.

Art from the other religions, when clean, is fine for us. Everyone should ask.

Apple pie

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 9:35 am
Ruchel wrote:
Religious art would be art about/inspired from Judaism.
Can be Shwekey, can be Ushpizin, can be some songs of Sarit Hadad, can be that nice short story about shabbes whose title I can't remember. It's ultra large.

We have to distinguish between entertainment and art.

About what makes Jewish/religious art: is the result "Jewish" because the author is Jewish, or does only the subject matter, and then Jewish art can be done by Non-Jews as well...

Case in point: I just saw a beautiful exhibit of various Menorahs (from the synagogue of Casale in Italy) made by various designers and artists from Italy. They are not all according to Halacha, but each brings out an aspect of Chanukah or at least the vision of a particular artist about light, Judaism etc...

Ruchel wrote:
You need to ask YOUR rav what is clean art to YOU (it may be larger than you think) and whether you can learn questionable art if it's for learning. It's probably larger for a woman, especially a married one.

This distinction between married and single women is interesting. While I intuitively understand it and agree with it (we do not need to be that protected any more) I wonder if it has any bases in Torah sources.

hannah95

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:02 am
I had an art history minor when I was in college. I do enjoy art, mostly modern, my favourite place is probably The Tate Modern in London. I don't feel like an artist even though I enjoy some artistic activities.
Painting and sculpting requires to learn a lot about christian representations, since a lot of the artwork is derived from it. I don't see it as a religious problem, for me , it's a blend of history and sociology. As for un-tznius art, there is a lot more to pictural arts than nudes.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:15 am
I took art history class as well as drawing and painting in college. My art history teacher was a Frum artist. We learned about ancient art, which included old churches, but whenever we looked at pictures of nude paintings, my teacher would draw clothing on them before showing it to us. We didn't see too many of those.

There certainly is an appreciation for Jewish art. These include illuminated manuscripts, and pictures of Frum people and stuff.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:35 am
"Zeh Keili va'anveihu"...there is definitely a place for Jewish art, and art in Judaism.
As far as "neutral" art, I.e. not a Jewish theme, there's also the concept of "dirah na'eh marchiva es ha'daas" (which bothered me a lot the first time I heard it because I live in a small house I can't do much to). But even the little things add up and one can have style on the cheap. I know, arranging picture frames or tchochkes on the shelf might not be art, but I think it is artistic expression.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:46 am
Quote:

We have to distinguish between entertainment and art.

Maybe it's my language, but even cinema and photography are considered as arts.

Quote:
About what makes Jewish/religious art: is the result "Jewish" because the author is Jewish, or does only the subject matter, and then Jewish art can be done by Non-Jews as well...

Yes Jewish art can be made by non Jews too.
Yes Jewish people can make non Jewish art.
Religious Jewish art would have to be kosher, but say, architecture? If the architect isn't Jewish and the shul is gorgeous, it's probably RJ art..

Quote:
I wonder if it has any bases in Torah sources.

Yup. But don't ask me for sources, I just know that it is, at least for some!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics