Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you agree with the "Just Laugh!" theory?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 1:24 pm
Don't shoot me for my ignorance but what exactly is the "just laugh" theory? I googled on it and got only this thread, so I'm thinking it's not a real theory but a term OP made up?

hadasa

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 1:38 pm
zaq wrote:
Don't shoot me for my ignorance but what exactly is the "just laugh" theory? I googled on it and got only this thread, so I'm thinking it's not a real theory but a term OP made up?
Yes, it's just a term I made up. I wanted to know how people feel about intentionally laughing when things go wrong.

busydev

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 1:39 pm
it is a term the OP made up. she explained it in her first post

"rather laugh than cry" theory

basically that instead of crying when things are not going good- you find something in the situation to laugh about

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 1:48 pm
It's the basis for the entire M*A*S*H hit TV show.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 6:35 am
I'm not a fan of "funny" movies in dire topics.

I'll never forget a movie I saw on tv, it started funny and cool, and it turned up it was about tourists stuck in a vacation spot by a war in a place like Bosnia, one gets killed, one gets raped, one blows up on a mine, one disappears etc but funny. For real?? That's FUNNY??

shosh

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 6:40 am
Laughing at terrible situations and finding the funny side in absolutely anything, no matter how depressing, has gotten me through some of the worst times in my life.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 9:16 am
Lincoln was asked how he could constantly read and tell funny stories: he said, I laugh to keep from crying.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 11:23 am
FTR no, I don't like it at all. In MASH, they were drafted and had to be there. In a family, when things go wrong, I don't think my kids would appreciate laughter.

I think they'd appreciate the glass being swept up or fish borrowed from a neighbor, not their mother's insane chuckles. That doesn't help anything get done.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 12:18 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
FTR no, I don't like it at all. In MASH, they were drafted and had to be there. In a family, when things go wrong, I don't think my kids would appreciate laughter.

I think they'd appreciate the glass being swept up or fish borrowed from a neighbor, not their mother's insane chuckles. That doesn't help anything get done.

I think those are situations where what you suggest is the best but isn't it a great tool to have in our arsenals to emply when needed?

red sea

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 1:02 pm
I think when its used properly its an excellent coping mechanism & attitude, much better choice then other possible reactions I can think of.

Liba

Post Sat, Jan 01 2011, 6:59 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

No one said to laugh instead of dealing with the situation. That would be insane.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics