Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
UNHAPPY WITH JOB WHAT TO DO?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 3:55 pm
I am working at the same company for the last 3 years. They pay well and provide insurance so it's got benefits, but I am really unhappy here. They dont treat me well, and take me for granted. I havent gotten a raise in over a year and a bonus in nearly two years. They asked me this week to transfer to their office further away from my home. I requested that I come in at 10:00 instead of the usual 9:00. They said no. I want to leave but I have a few problems:

1) My husband wants me to stay bec. of the good money
2) I dont have a new job (yet)
3) I wont get paid as much elsewhere prob.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I stay and be unhappy or should I pack it in and say good riddance?

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 4:05 pm
Well why dont you start looking quietly and compare what you have set up to any options you come across, that way youre covered, if you get a better offer, take it from there, if not, your current job wont know the diff. Job interviews will not call youre current employer if you tell them that they dont know youre looking to switch jobs.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 4:12 pm
Thanks for the advice but the thing is, I was secretly looking a couple months ago and I stopped because I couldnt find anything decent salary wise. But now with them wanting me to transfer, I just cant see myself doing that when I am so unhappy in the first place. So I am back to square one again. I just dont know if I should "suck it up" so to speak and stay regardless of personal feelings or pack it in and leave.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 4:14 pm
you don't have much choice; you can look around but iF YOU NEED YOUR IMCOME, you may have to grin and bear it for now......

ssbarnes

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 4:19 pm
If you aren't happy there, you should start to prepare to leave this company.

Take a good hard look at your finances and see where you can change the budget. If you NEED the money & benefits, then you need to make sure you have something else lined up before you give notice.

Have you and your husband discussed working from home?

-Dena

amother

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 4:36 pm
My husband and I def. discussed it but there arent a lot of jobs that you can work from home and make a decent income. My husband teaches so he doesnt make much. I'm trying to decide if my happiness is more important or the money...

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 4:39 pm
There is no job security these days. Nothing is forever. You’ll get your chance IYH.

ssbarnes

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 4:42 pm
Is there something you love to do that you could make a career out of? Could you start something part-time until it was enough $$ to quit your day job?

-Dena

amother

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 5:56 pm
I have left a job last year because I wasn't happy there. I go to work to relax (if you can call work that) without my kids and speak to adults. Its my time. If I hate my job I am in a bad mood for my kids....My happiness was more important so I picked up and left. Yes I am making less money now, but its worth it! You also need to remember that no job is perfect and in any office some things will bother you.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 11:31 am
I keep trying to think of things that are money making and I could do from home but unfortunately I am more of textbook kind of person than a hands on "geshiked" person. I dont sew, bake, cook, do shaitels... I am not very creative or artistic. It's hard to think of something unique that people would be willing to pay moeny for. I give a ton of credit to those of us out there who do that kind of stuff.

I know that every office has it's thing - but you can work with it. I just had enough of working with it here in this company.

I decided for now to see how the transfer goes. If it really is as bas as I think it will be, then I will begin to look around for something and try to hold out till I find something worthwhile. Thanks once again for all the advice. I appreciate it. Smile

brooklyn

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 12:30 pm
Maybe the new office will be better, different people and bosses. Good luck.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 7:23 pm
the bottom line is whether or not you really have a choice. if you absolutely need the income and cannot live without it, then the decision is made for you and you need to just stick it out. maybe you should sit down and really look at your budget, see what you need and what you could do without... and how much down in salary you can afford. its about your priorities. would you rather live with less and be happier or not? or is it really impossible to make it on a lower salary? .
I am also not too happy about my job situation but I am sticking it out because although we can live without it now, I know that the smart thing to do is to stay with it for now in order to save as much as we can so that we can afford a house. I have chosen what my priority is for now. later, I hope to work part-time at another job. the choices we make reflect our priorities. good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics