Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Anyone know why my challah dough is not rising?

IloveHashem613

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 8:12 am
I used trander joe's whole wheat white flour for the first time this week. I've heard their flour is superior to other flour. The yeast poofed up so I know it wasn't dead. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it has to do with the fact that after I made it (last night) I kept it in the fridge overnight and planned to let it rise today then bake it. Did that kill the yeast? It would be very strange though because I almost always put my challah dough in the fridge and it rises the next day no problem. Its sitting next to a hot oven for 2 hours and hasn't budged. What's the problem, why isn't my challah rising?? embarrassed

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 8:18 am
Sometimes dough from the freezer takes a long time to defrost. So maybe from the fridge sometimes takes longer than you expect to warm up? Sometimes things from the fridge get semi-frozen, with ice crystals in it.

I would shape the loaves, give it some time to rise after that, then put in oven and hope for the best.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 9:20 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Sometimes dough from the freezer takes a long time to defrost. So maybe from the fridge sometimes takes longer than you expect to warm up? Sometimes things from the fridge get semi-frozen, with ice crystals in it.

I would shape the loaves, give it some time to rise after that, then put in oven and hope for the best.

Just what I'd say, too long and it could get yeasty.
Maybe you should try adding gluten next time you use this flour, if it needs it.

mominlkwd

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 9:25 am
you could try shaping it and putting it in the oven very very low - like 225 or so. That might help it warm up and rise. Once it rises than turn the oven on all the way.

Good Luck!

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 10:04 am
Whole wheat flour, even white WW, does not rise the same way as regular flour or bread flour.

I never have had luck with fridge rising the dough either.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 10:28 am
My challah and my mother in law's challah didn't rise today! We each proofed the yeast too and we both had good yeast. I don't know...it's humid and cold here, maybe that affected it.

mominlkwd

Post Sat, Jan 01 2011, 3:59 pm
MamaBear wrote:
My challah and my mother in law's challah didn't rise today! We each proofed the yeast too and we both had good yeast. I don't know...it's humid and cold here, maybe that affected it.

that's funny, my Challah rose extra quickly this week. Before I knew it I had to punch it down. Maybe I had super yeast Wink

Beingreal

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 4:50 am
I tried Challah for the first time this past week, so believe me, I can commiserate with you! I made my challah dough in my bread maker and my dough wasn't rising! Basically, it didn't come out looking like Challah.....did you forget to put in anything?

abound

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 4:55 am
Two things to check for, Did the salt touch the yeast? Was your water to hot?
These are two things that kill the dough!
Good Luck!

yytsmommy

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 5:41 am
I just wanted to add that the weather definitely makes a difference. I see it all the time with my challah dough. when it is humid and cold my dough does not rise as well. should still come out yummy though! good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads