Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Rabbi Shmley Boteach has a fascinating article
1  2  Next

Mommy F.

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 12:32 pm
I think it's scary how true it is!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....rc=sp

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 3:04 pm
Why would you post that here? Now there's going to be five pages of loshon hara and motzi shem ra. Didn't you know that on this website, everything Rabbi Boteach says is by definition wrong, and none of the rules of speaking about fellow Jews apply to him?

MommyZ

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 3:07 pm
I skimmed it. There is nothing original there.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 5:15 pm
sequoia wrote:
Why would you post that here? Now there's going to be five pages of loshon hara and motzi shem ra. Didn't you know that on this website, everything Rabbi Boteach says is by definition wrong, and none of the rules of speaking about fellow Jews apply to him?

Couldn't agree more...and with good reason! Wink Not that I read his...stuff. But I definitely agree with your post.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 5:21 pm
I usually don't click on these things but I did this time.

MommyZ

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 5:29 pm
bubby wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Couldn't agree more...and with good reason! Wink Not that I read his...stuff. But I definitely agree with your post.

I didn't hear about him until I went to sem in Bournemouth and we made a Shabbaton for London high school girls. They were obsessed with him. I'm personally apathetic and generally prefer to read political commentary written by political commentators or at least somewhat credible journalists.

Atali

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 5:43 pm
MommyZ wrote:
bubby wrote:
sequoia wrote:

I didn't hear about him until I went to sem in Bournemouth and we made a Shabbaton for London high school girls. They were obsessed with him. I'm personally apathetic and generally prefer to read political commentary written by political commentators or at least somewhat credible journalists.

I agree

(And I also went to sem in Bournemouth, but no one talked about him the year that I was there Smile )

MommyZ

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 5:47 pm
Atali wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
bubby wrote:
sequoia wrote:

I agree

(And I also went to sem in Bournemouth, but no one talked about him the year that I was there Smile )

Or they just asked me about him and not you? I have no idea why they asked me. I really had no idea who he was.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 6:15 pm
See what I mean?

WriterMom

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 6:25 pm
I've enjoyed a couple of his books. Certainly, I think he's done a good thing by making Jewish values about s-x accessible to more people, Jewish or non-Jewish.

This article? Well suggesting that all stores be closed for a Sabbath (any day, doesn't matter) is pretty improbably, and the insights aren't particularly original, but I don't see anything in there to disagree with.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 6:54 pm
Totally OT, but Atali & MommyZ...did you know my DD's also went to Bournemouth???? Smile

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 6:55 pm
How soon can we get to 5 pages of LH?

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 6:56 pm
I'll start working on it.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 6:56 pm
One line at a time. Wink LOL LOL

Atali

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 7:16 pm
bubby wrote:
Totally OT, but Atali & MommyZ...did you know my DD's also went to Bournemouth???? Smile

Which years?

MommyZ and I did not go during the same year

Atali

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 7:18 pm
I can make it go faster:

Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara
Lashon hara

If everyone does this we will get there in no time without needing to commit any aveiros!

Last edited by Atali on Mon, Jan 03 2011, 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 7:21 pm
LOL bubby and atali!!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:09 am
Heilige women on imamother read the Puffington Host? Scandalous! Cancel my subscription!

OK, haven't read the article yet, and I have to get off. If it is sensible and logical (though I see the comment about closing on Shabbos, for the general olam? Scratching Head ) why the surprise? Even broken watches are right twice a day, and whatever issues I might have with him he's far from a broken watch.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:24 am
Why is it assumed that we'll say loshon horah? Isn't loshon horah an aveirah?

I suggest we instead have a cheeseburger.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 4:18 pm
I found it odd that he suggests that religion get away from "culture wars" but then goes on to suggest school uniforms and a national Sabbath, both controversial issues.

I also don't think that religion is really so involved in "culture wars," most religious people aren't involved in issues like gay marriage or abortion one way or the other (they may have their opinions, but it's not like that's what they discuss with the non-religious world).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics