Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
On the verge of a nervous breakdown over tuition
  Previous  1  2  3   13  14  15  Next

lucky

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 7:01 am
QUOTE"
older people in the community) are not good about supporting the schools. The proposed a self imposed 'ma'aser tax' from the communities as a takana - a certain % of your ma'aser would be designated to go to schools in your community. It sounded like a good idea to me! They claimed in the article that this was done in Europe.

Well, after paying "full"price tuition when the kids are in school, people don't feel they owe the school anything.

Yeshivos make you feel like they are doing you a favor (by allowing you to pay loads of money for your kids tuition)by accepting your kids to Their yeshive.and if you have a problem in school/yashiva u can usually talk to the wall. they know that u wont send kid anywhere else.

dh says that money paid for tuition is not included in the amount that is bashert rosh hashona. (same w/ shabbos expenses.) I've also heard that paying tuition without haggling over the price is a segula for good kids.

I personally think that yeshivos know who they can take advantage of.

RachelB

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 7:07 pm
Our tuition for 1 child was $5200 last year. You get 10% discount on the second kid and no registration fees (I wonder if 10th boy is free :-) )
We were told upfront: no bartering, no negotiating, no late payments, all credit card gladly accepted and the manager promptly showed us 300+ applications that were on "waiting list" for the same age classes. They were also glad to hear that we have another boy :-)
I've asked many parents and it's the same tuition for most Yeshivas here (chasidish being the exception).
My SIL told me it's part of the reason why she's moving back to Israel -they can't afford tuition cost for 5 kids (both parents working full time and father taking extra work)
But what are our options?

imaamy

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 8:30 pm
Well you wouldn't want to move here. $9600 for elementary school and more for middle school! Your tuitions sound great to me!

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 1:24 am
Yeah, stay home. Tuition here is over $600 per month - and we have 11 months of school! Besides, food costs are astronomical and in addition everyone here belongs to a kehillah and has to pay a kehillah tax. Based on income, but the minimum is around $2000 a year.

timeout

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 6:58 am
My friend is so digusted with the cost of being frum she wants to move out of the community and send her kids to public school Exploding anger

I do think I will have to go back to work in September I just don't see any other way.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 10:26 am
timeout wrote:
I do think I will have to go back to work in September I just don't see any other way.

sounds like a darn shame

who says you have to send your son to this expensive school which says take it or leave it? there are other schools, not only chasidic ones, that are more accomodating.

elisecohen

Post Fri, Jun 24 2005, 9:01 am
Not here there sure aren't; the school we are hoping to use this coming year will be about $9500/child, and that is a bargain compared to the $11,000 we would be paying at the other school they were at last year. Other schools in the area are all comparable. Even more impossible is that for one of our children who has dev delays etc they want us to use the special ed program at the Jewish school which is $25,000/yr for that one child (yes, I typed that right), ON TOP of the other tuition for him and the other children. Oddly enough, we do NOT have $63000 lying around in cash to pay for the upcoming school year.

avigayil

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 7:58 am
In our town the elementary school tuition is now 10,000. shock

Last year, people pulled their kids out and put the in a less expensive school. The problem is, it is a farther distance and a different hashkafa.
Sometimes you just can't go 'shopping' for the cheaper school either. Kids need to feel comfy where they are.

That being said, teachers and staff need to get paid and buildings need to be maintained. I don't think they believe we all have parents and other family who just write off checks to us.
The schools have also started cracking down on financial aid forms, which I approve of. They do ask, how many cars do you own and did you take a vacation. You can't cry poor and then live a high lifestyle.

timeout

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 11:36 am
Actually the Chassiddic schools in Brooklyn are the cheaper ones $2,000 a year and the Litvishe or combination Yeshivas are the more expensive.

shira

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 3:09 pm
We may make really meager salaries over here in the holy land but we certainly have far less expenditures............$12,000 for one childs tuition???? Thats my ENTIRE yearly salary!

Aish

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 6:47 pm
my opinion on this topic is I dont feel we do enough to demand more goverment assistance. we pay mightily in taxes. we pay to breath the air here. and yet.... no can do in the help department and I find parents and pple, on the whole, not doing enough, not demanding enough from the goverment. statistically, private schools produce better citizens. for that alone they should pay!!! Very Happy

Tefila

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 6:50 pm
Quote:
statistically, private schools produce better citizens. for that alone they should pay!!!

Oh yeah Thumbs Up

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 1:01 am
freilich wrote:
Quote:
statistically, private schools produce better citizens. for that alone they should pay!!!

Oh yeah Thumbs Up

The liberal leftists will string you up for implying that private, especially religious, institutions can do a better job than the government.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 8:50 am
and it's our fellow Jewish (among others), liberal, leftists who are thwarting our attempts to get tuition vouchers Mad

Aish

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 11:20 am
Motek wrote:
and it's our fellow Jewish (among others), liberal, leftists who are thwarting our attempts to get tuition vouchers :x

miseducation and misguidance is that destructive. this is the result.

Rivka

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 4:03 pm
Over here I know the 2 main Jewish primary schools are gov aided. Which means the parents are paying nothing for the Limudei Chol and those teachers that teach those lessons, but they pay for the kodesh studies, which is fair enough. I don't know how much it is, but because most parents are not rich you work it out with the school how much you will pay a year, so it works more like a charity where parents donate money rather than everyone pay a certain amount and it;s to do with how much you can afford.
The very religious schools don't get gov aid and I don't know how they run coz most of the community isn't rich.
KD is the least religious school and they let in anyone who has a Jewish parent, which means half the kids are probably not Jewish. But parents don't have to pay a thing, they can if they want to for the kodesh subjects.

I think it is expensive for Yeshiva's and Sems to run and they can't help charging what they do. But they are for children who have finished school and really it's the parent's choice to send them there. I think it's more important for a boy to go to Yeshivah than a girl to go to sem. Simply because I felt that in sem I learnt less than I did in 6th form. I am talking about the hebrew subjects, it felt more like High School to me and I really expected it to be on a higher level.

carrot

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 9:25 am
in England it is totally different because the government requires there to be some sort of religious education, so you can be a Jewish school and still be funded by the government. unlike in America where it would be an infringement of the separation of church and state if they supported a school that promoted a particular religion.

I wonder, does this make the schools in England better, because they are funded by the gov. so they are supervised and forced to meet higher standards? (I am talking about those that choose to - so not the super religious.)

I think the whole sem thing is a strange fad and I don't see the point of it. it's like some sort of over-glamorized finishing school. and I suspect that many of them turn a hefty profit, because they can.

queen

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 9:59 am
carrot wrote:
and I suspect that many of them turn a hefty profit, because they can.

not to be taken in the wrong way as they do have a good impact on many and are a lot of hard work to run (properly!!!!!)...... however they ARE big money makers.

roza

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 12:49 am
What

Quote:
A group of Orthodox families, frustrated with the rising costs of tuition for a yeshiva education, has approached the Lawrence Public Schools about using district school buildings to educate their children.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.....rfi=6

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 3:41 am
These parents are playing with fire. I don't think they are aware of what their children will be exposed to during a public school education. Besides, 90 minutes a day of Jewish education is enough to produce an am haaretz, not much more.
Page 2 of 15   Previous  1  2  3   13  14  15  Next Recent Topics