Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Mirabelle's job searching in 2011 tips
1  2  3  Next

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 3:17 pm
Due to requests, here are Mirabelle’s job searching tips:

These tips are not only based on my personal successful job searching but also on my position as an administrator who hires about 10 people per year, sometimes more. You would be surprised how much you learn about job searching from the “other side.” I am sure that you have read some of these before and I am sure that I will think of more to add, but here is the start of my list.

Note: These tips are based for a job search in the US. I have never worked or job searched in Israel, so I don’t claim to be an expert on that job scene.

1) BE PREPARED TO WORK HARD! Finding a job in 2011 is not nearly as easy as it was in 2001. Times here have changed and even if you had a rather easy time job searching in the past, things are different now. Reserve at least an hour (or more a day) for job searching. The internet is probably the best place these days to find job listings.
2) Prepare a clear and concise resume and TRIPLE check that it doesn’t have any typos. You would be surprised how many people submit resumes with typos! Many employers will simply toss a resume aside if there are typos. Some people say that you need to keep your resume to one page, but I personally don’t “hold by” that. In my opinion as long as it is clear and easy to follow that is all that matters.
3) Have several cover letters on your computer ready to send. You can apply to different jobs quickly if you have your cover letters all written out and all you need to do is cut and paste to change the information where necessary. There is simply no need to “start fresh” writing out a new cover letter each time.
4) “Throw mud at the wall”- apply to every single job that you find that somewhat interests you. Don’t waste time and obsess over whether or not you should apply. Worst case scenario, if the job is not for you then you don’t need to accept it. Sometimes employers need to fill positions fast and the quicker you respond, the better chance you have of getting the interview.
5) THINK LIKE A MAN- statistically, men apply to jobs that they feel that they are 60% qualified for and women only apply to jobs that they feel that they are 90% qualified for. If you are interested in the job and you think that you are remotely qualified, APPLY! Worst case scenario they don’t call you for an interview, big deal!
6) NETWORK- Tell EVERYONE you know that you are looking for a job. Set up a LinkedIn profile that highlights your skills and background. Post on your Facebook account that you are looking for a job. If you left a recent job on good terms, call or e-mail your former supervisors to see if they have or know of any openings.
7) Make sure that your references are reliable! I have had candidates where I called their references and waited so long for the references to call me back that I had no choice but to offer the position to someone else.
8) Respond to all e-mails and phone calls from potential employers with lighting speed. DO NOT ANSWER A CALL FROM A POTENTIAL EMPLOYER IF YOUR KIDS ARE AROUND, or teach your younger kids not to interrupt you when you are on the phone. There is no bigger turnoff for an employer than being interrupted by a 4 year old saying “Ima, I need a cookie now!”
9) At a job interview legally they cannot ask you if you have children, but I have been asked by many places how I handle “career and family.” Don’t ever apologize for having a family. Be confident and answer that you already have your childcare all planned out. After you accept the job you can then ask about partly working from home, etc.
10) Dress up for a phone interview- If you have a phone interview scheduled, don’t just shlep around in your robe. You will feel more confident if you are dressed for success! Even if the potential employers can’t see you, you will feel more confident and that confidence will shine through over the phone.
11) Prepare well for phone interviews and have your notes ready with you. If you have little kids, arrange for a babysitter during the interview.
12) Many interviewers will ask you about your strengths and weaknesses, so that have those answers prepared. At the end of the interview they will most probably ask you if you have any questions for them. Have those questions prepared ahead of time!
13) Eat a good breakfast or lunch before your interview so that your blood sugar won’t be low and you will be thinking clearly. I once worked with a psychology professor who told me that they have done studies that students who drink orange juice before exams get higher scores. Due to this I always drink orange juice before any interviews!
14) Lastly, if you do get offered a job, do not accept the first offer! Always counter offer with a higher salary. Worst case scenario they will say no. I have to be honest, 99% of the time when I offer a candidate a certain salary, I am starting low. You would be surprised how many people simply take your first offer because they are so desperate for a job. If I really want to hire someone than I will do whatever I can to make it happen.

I wish you all much hatzlachah in your job searches!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 4:26 pm
I really appreciate your advice.

Job hunting is very degrading.

I interviewed for one job with an attorney. This attorney called up the previous attorney I had worked for and asked him questions for at least a half-hour. The attorney I worked for previously gave me the utmost praise, and I still didn't get the job.

If you don't want to hire me, don't harass my contacts, please. I am badly burnt, because the attorney I applied to was a frum Jew from my community. He told me, "Call me next week and I'll let you know." I called back the following week and the secretary said that he's busy, but he'll call me back by the end of the day. One more call and I got the hint.

If you don't plan on hiring me, just tell me. Don't give me the runaround.

I sincerely hope Hashem punishes this attorney for his dishonest behavior.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:

I interviewed for one job with an attorney. This attorney called up the previous attorney I had worked for and asked him questions for at least a half-hour. The attorney I worked for previously gave me the utmost praise, and I still didn't get the job.

If you don't want to hire me, don't harass my contacts, please. I am badly burnt, because the attorney I applied to was a frum Jew from my community. He told me, "Call me next week and I'll let you know." I called back the following week and the secretary said that he's busy, but he'll call me back by the end of the day. One more call and I got the hint.

I am really sorry to hear that.
I had things like that happen to me as well. During my last job search after an initial interview I was called by the HR director to invite me out for a second interview and make sure I understood the salary. She said she needed to wait until one of the vice presidents was back in town and then she would be calling me back to schedule the second interview. I got all excited and went out and bought a new outfit for the next interview. They called me the next week to say that the VP was still out of town but they would be calling me the next week to schedule the interview. Well, I never got the call! To this day I have no idea what happened!!! In the meantime I was offered something else and accepted.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 6:13 pm
Mirabelle wrote:

I had things like that happen to me as well. During my last job search after an initial interview I was called by the HR director to invite me out for a second interview and make sure I understood the salary. She said she needed to wait until one of the vice presidents was back in town and then she would be calling me back to schedule the second interview. I got all excited and went out and bought a new outfit for the next interview. They called me the next week to say that the VP was still out of town but they would be calling me the next week to schedule the interview. Well, I never got the call! To this day I have no idea what happened!!! In the meantime I was offered something else and accepted.

You got scammed.

It's like that with dating, when the guy never calls you back, and you are left hanging...

Those guys are losers. If you can't be honest and straightforward with me, what kind of marriage would I have? I guess employers are the same way. I wouldn't want to work for such a dishonest employer.

I have worked for dishonest employers in the past, and I would never wish it on anyone. You are told to prepare an order for XYZ in the amount of a few thousand dollars. I contact the company to help me prepare the order, and the money never arrives.

I once worked for businessman who sent out bills with my signature on them claiming that based on a telephone conversation we had, they had agreed to order such and such a product, which is entirely bogus.

Looking back, if I have any clue that my future employer is dishonest, I would run away.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 6:17 pm
amother wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

You got scammed.

It's like that with dating, when the guy never calls you back, and you are left hanging...

Those guys are losers. If you can't be honest and straightforward with me, what kind of marriage would I have? I guess employers are the same way. I wouldn't want to work for such a dishonest employer.

I have worked for dishonest employers in the past, and I would never wish it on anyone. You are told to prepare an order for XYZ in the amount of a few thousand dollars. I contact the company to help me prepare the order, and the money never arrives.

I once worked for businessman who sent out bills with my signature on them claiming that based on a telephone conversation we had, they had agreed to order such and such a product, which is entirely bogus.

Looking back, if I have any clue that my future employer is dishonest, I would run away.

The above story that I posted was actually with a very very well known large corporation. I don't want to write the name here, but if you live in "tri-state area" then you have heard of them and most probably shopped in their stores.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 6:51 pm
Mirabelle wrote:
amother wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

You got scammed.

The above story that I posted was actually with a very very well known large corporation. I don't want to write the name here, but if you live in "tri-state area" then you have heard of them and most probably shopped in their stores.

I hardly think that she was *scammed*

No one told her that the job was hers, or asked her to forego any other opportunities while awaiting the call. A *scam* suggests that something of value was taken. Nothing was.

As a guess, one of the following occurred: (I) the job was offered to another person, who was making a decision, and the employer was holding 2d choice on the line while awating the decision; (ii) the VP met with another candidate first, and was so taken by him or her that the company didn't complete the process; or (iii) the position was eliminated.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not sure why you think that calling for a reference was *harassing your contacts* Perhaps whatever was said about you led the employer to believe that you would not be a good fit. Perhaps someone else got a better reference. Perhaps the person whom you called told the potential employer that you were a PITA and not to hire you.

After an interview, send a letter or email thanking the person for the opportunity to meet with him or her. *Maybe* one further call, but that's it.

That said, employers are often bad about getting back to people to say no thanks. Or they get involved in things, and don't have time. Its impolite, but should not be taken personally.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 7:23 pm
I would like to add some tips from my experience

Research the position and company before you interview. I was part of a job interview panel for my alma matter. We had a pretty good impression of a candidate and then she went on to ask several questions which made it clear she had no idea what the college was about or what the position she was applying for entailed (despite the fact that this was detailed in the job posting). Throwing mud against the wall is fine, but once you get an interview go back and really read about the company and position.

Show up for your interview on time. I do not care if this means spending half an hour in the Starbucks across the street. One woman waltzed in 30 minutes late! This made a very bad impression. If you know you will be late call immediately to explain.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 7:28 pm
Barbara wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
amother wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

You got scammed.

I hardly think that she was *scammed*

No one told her that the job was hers, or asked her to forego any other opportunities while awaiting the call. A *scam* suggests that something of value was taken. Nothing was.

As a guess, one of the following occurred: (I) the job was offered to another person, who was making a decision, and the employer was holding 2d choice on the line while awating the decision; (ii) the VP met with another candidate first, and was so taken by him or her that the company didn't complete the process; or (iii) the position was eliminated.

I agree that it must have been one of the above. Like I said this is a huge corporation with an entire HR department. I assume, based on the importance of the position, that they hired someone else and were "keeping me on ice," so it would have been nice to at least get a curt rejection e-mail.

I was going to add this to my list of tips, but I always send thank you e-mails after both phone and in person interviews. There is a bit of a "machloket" among some people as to if you should send a handwritten thank you or if today in 2011 e-mails are good enough. I think that e-mail are fine and in this day of age of lighting fast communication, someone else may be offered the job while your thank you note is in the mail.

Tova

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 7:32 pm
Can I add something?

SHOW ENTHUSIASM for the position! Even if you are quiet by nature you have to exude excitement and "this is what I want to be doing."

I currently am the only frum person at my company and as it's a large national firm, I get a lot of resumes funneled through me to hand off to HR. Several guys have been called in for interviews, but were not offered positions. In all cases, it had nothing to do with experience or their resumes, or religious needs, etc. but rather that they did not present well at the interview...they seemed bored, like they wanted to be doing something else, etc. [Actually, in at least one of the cases I personally knew that his wife was pushing him to get a job while he wanted to stay in yeshiva a few more years.] But - this is info I heard personally from the HR department and it reached the point where I had to discuss the issue with a Rav because I do not know if it is appropriate for me to continue handing in resumes when there is potential for chillul Hashem (Rav said to continue handing in resumes but instruct my husband - who is not in the professional world at all - to call up these guys and give them pep talks).

sky

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 8:04 pm
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
I would like to add some tips from my experience

Research the position and company before you interview. I was part of a job interview panel for my alma matter. We had a pretty good impression of a candidate and then she went on to ask several questions which made it clear she had no idea what the college was about or what the position she was applying for entailed (despite the fact that this was detailed in the job posting). Throwing mud against the wall is fine, but once you get an interview go back and really read about the company and position.

Show up for your interview on time. I do not care if this means spending half an hour in the Starbucks across the street. One woman waltzed in 30 minutes late! This made a very bad impression. If you know you will be late call immediately to explain.

Also come with a list of questions about the company. When they ask do you have any questions many times they want to hear questions. You can do some reasearch about the company regarding what they do, or about something else, but asking a question shows interest and knowledge.

And don't forget a thank you letter to every person you meet. Ask for business cards after meeting them and if its not available write down their names immediately after meeting them and e-mail HR asking for their contact information. Be specific in your thank you and mention specific items that were discussed during the interview that make you excited for the job. I think e-mail is appropriate here because this way they get it within 24 hours of meeing you when your impresion is still fresh.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 8:29 pm
SOOO HAPPY TO SEE THIS THREAD! I have a job interview tomorrow. I was reading what you wrote about a thank you email. can you please elaberate on what I would write in the thank you email? 2 questions: 1. I have a sore throat right now and my voice is pretty raspy- should I mention it or just ignore the fact that I can hardly talk? 2. When THEY contacted ME for a job interview they refused to tell me any job details before my interview they said they want to wait to meet me first. Now obviously I know what position im interviewing for cuz that is the position I have training in but I dont know if its full time/ part time.. what hours /days.... its kind of nerve racking...so if
they ask me what days im avaible and if im looking for full time or part time.... whats should I say..
without having knowledge of what THEY want? I prefer part time but I will take a full time job if they offer me one.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 9:40 pm
Adding:

Never bad mouth your current / former employers. Have a reasonable explanation for why you're leaving or left.

Be polite to everyone you encounter. If our receptionist tells me that you were rude to her, you're not getting the job.

Bring an extra copy of your resume.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 4:50 am
Barbara wrote:
Adding:

Never bad mouth your current / former employers. Have a reasonable explanation for why you're leaving or left.

Be polite to everyone you encounter. If our receptionist tells me that you were rude to her, you're not getting the job.

Bring an extra copy of your resume.

I was once told to bring something like 5 copies of your resume and low and behold I once went to an interview where I was being interviewed by three people and they really had expected me to bring copies for all of them. Boy, was I happy that I had so many copies on hand!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 4:59 am
amother wrote:
SOOO HAPPY TO SEE THIS THREAD! I have a job interview tomorrow. I was reading what you wrote about a thank you email. can you please elaberate on what I would write in the thank you email? 2 questions: 1. I have a sore throat right now and my voice is pretty raspy- should I mention it or just ignore the fact that I can hardly talk? 2. When THEY contacted ME for a job interview they refused to tell me any job details before my interview they said they want to wait to meet me first. Now obviously I know what position im interviewing for cuz that is the position I have training in but I dont know if its full time/ part time.. what hours /days.... its kind of nerve racking...so if
they ask me what days im avaible and if im looking for full time or part time.... whats should I say..
without having knowledge of what THEY want? I prefer part time but I will take a full time job if they offer me one.

Good morning! I wish you so much hatzlachah tomorrow. Try the orange juice thing, it really works!

In terms of a thank you e-mail you are thanking them for taking the time to interview you and then make a point or two about how impressed you were with the company/school/organization and why you think you would be their BEST choice. Do not be afraid to "toot your own horn!" As my Grandma says, if you think you're a shmatta then other people will think you're a shmatta. Just keep repeating in your head the mantra that YOU ARE AMAZING and you are the best person for this job!
The whole thank you e-mail only needs to be a short paragraph. You would be surprised how many people do not send thank you e-mails after interviews. I really think it will make you stand apart from the crowd.

Is your voice still sore? I guess my instinct is to be energetic and confident and not worry about it all that much. Don't forget to look everyone in the eye.

In terms of the details of the job, I would ask them what they had in mind for this position before mentioning part time or full time. I don't like the fact that they didn't share any details with you, but it is what it is, right? I wouldn't give a definitive answer regarding part time or full time, especially as you really are willing to take either. You could say something like "I am willing to consider both options."

Good luck!!! Hoping to hear good news from you!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 5:30 am
My DH, our sole supporter, job hunted both in Israel and the U.S. during the 1.5 years he was unemployed. Our best advice: chin up, great outlook, positive thinking every day no matter what.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 5:44 am
Tamiri wrote:
My DH, our sole supporter, job hunted both in Israel and the U.S. during the 1.5 years he was unemployed. Our best advice: chin up, great outlook, positive thinking every day no matter what.
Thumbs Up

GreenEyes26

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 6:45 am
I did ALL of Mirabelle's things - without even talking to Mirabelle first Wink - and b''H I was able to find a job....after 9 months. (About half a year ago now.) They really work, but the economy sucks.

The only thing I didn't do was ask for a higher salary. They offered me my asking salary, and I retrospect I could have asked for more, but they gave me what I asked for so I didn't think. But it all worked out well.

Seriously guys, listen to Mirabelle! These tips really worked for me. Especially researching the company before the interview and coming in with a list of questions. Oh, and sending thank-you emails!

On my second interview with my current employer I was sick with a cold and apologized a million times and it was hard for me to focus - I think I even messed up on one of the questions. But I was very prepared, which got me through the rest of the interview. And I got the job, b''H! Smile

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 7:00 am
GreenEyes26 wrote:
I did ALL of Mirabelle's things - without even talking to Mirabelle first Wink - and b''H I was able to find a job....after 9 months. (About half a year ago now.) They really work, but the economy sucks.

The only thing I didn't do was ask for a higher salary. They offered me my asking salary, and I retrospect I could have asked for more, but they gave me what I asked for so I didn't think. But it all worked out well.

Seriously guys, listen to Mirabelle! These tips really worked for me. Especially researching the company before the interview and coming in with a list of questions. Oh, and sending thank-you emails!

On my second interview with my current employer I was sick with a cold and apologized a million times and it was hard for me to focus - I think I even messed up on one of the questions. But I was very prepared, which got me through the rest of the interview. And I got the job, b''H! Smile

Thanks! I'm so glad that you found a job! It also took me about 9 months to find my most recent position which is when I realized how the job search scene in the US was so different than it had been only a few years prior. I used to barely need to work to find jobs and was usually able to secure positions through my many connections in my field, but pretty much once 2009 came, that all changed.
By the way, I didn't always has for a higher salary in the past either. I really only began to notice the pattern of women always taking my first offer (and men asking for more) as I have been hiring people at my most recent position and it's really been bothering me.

egam

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 9:58 am
Mirabelle wrote:
Thanks! I'm so glad that you found a job! It also took me about 9 months to find my most recent position which is when I realized how the job search scene in the US was so different than it had been only a few years prior. I used to barely need to work to find jobs and was usually able to secure positions through my many connections in my field, but pretty much once 2009 came, that all changed.
By the way, I didn't always has for a higher salary in the past either. I really only began to notice the pattern of women always taking my first offer (and men asking for more) as I have been hiring people at my most recent position and it's really been bothering me.

If I get an offer (may it happen soon I"M), I highly doubt that I will start negotiate. Yes, I'm that desperate. As long as it comes with health benefits I'll take it. You ask what worse can happen, than them saying no to higher salary. Withdrawal of the offer. And that I can't afford. Not that I have any offers or interviews Crying.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics