Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Desperate to put baby to sleep

cip

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:37 pm
my baby is crying for over an hour now!! ive already tried everything I could think of to put her to sleep (patting, singing, humming). by now I just walked out and she's yelling and I've got a massive headach from it. dh is not home tonight to help and I'm stuck. she's 11 months and this is a battle every night. Mad Mad Mad Help Help Help Help

shoy18

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:38 pm
is she teething? maybe give her som tylenol? or just let her out until she gets reall tired its way better than the never ending crying

cindy324

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:45 pm
I agree with shoy. Give her some tylenol and let her cry it out. she needs to learn to go to sleep on her own. And no, she won't be damaged by letting he rcry herself to sleep, 'cause I know that's coming soon...

cip

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:51 pm
no. she's not teething. she's feeling just fine. she's just waiting for me to come in again like I always do but I'm not cuz' I'm fed up. I just want her to learn to go to sleep on her own. she's smart and resisting strongly. I think she might cry all night!!!!!

cip

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:03 pm
she's still crying and I'm afraid the neighbors will start to get annoyed.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:08 pm
she's crying because she knows you ALWAYS go in. Stop going in and she'll learn that she can't "manipulate" you (okay, I'm being a little strong...she's just a baby).
But the truth is, she'll only learn to fall asleep on her own if you leave her. It's soooo hard...Some babies learn to fall asleep themselves and some babies need to be "taught" to learn...as hard as it is!
I say this as I'm letting my 8 month old cry because he's only been asleep 2 hours and he awoke....argh! doesn't it make YOU want to cry? we're in this together....!
Btw, about 2 months ago I called my dr and said how my baby resists going to sleep...he said - let him cry. I did, but then I had excuses because he got a cold, teething, etc...but it only gets worse when you give in...so I'm trying it again! (sob!)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:11 pm
ask you dr if this is the right age to teach her to comfort herself. it might be too young.

hence, the nightly battles.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:15 pm
when my baby was 6 months the dr. said to let him cry.
he said - he may be teethign. If you think he's in pain, give him tylenol and just put him in his crib.

cip

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:27 pm
thanks for all the advice. now I know I'm not the only one with this problem. she's finally sleeping. I went in and saw her standing in her crib. I put her down and she fell asleep in a second. I think she's able to keep the crying up for so long bec. she stands up and refuses to lie down on her own. anyone ever have this problem?

shoy18

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:31 pm
my ds did that for a while, I would let him cry for 10 min and then go in and put him down, it usually worked

melalyse

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 8:30 pm
sometimes what I do is just put my baby from standing position to lying down. He just pops back up, but after doing multiple times he usually "gets it" and goes to sleep.

morningstar

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 8:35 pm
Helps to establish some sort of consistent routine so your baby knows when it is time to go to bed and you won't be in again.
Many kids find fresh air tires them out, making it easier to fall asleep.. don't know where you live, but while the weather is decent, you may want to do supper, bath, pjs, then 10 minute stroll in the carriage, bottle, Shma, and bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics