Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO Girls' high school with a dormitory preferably Chabad

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 8:53 pm
I am looking for a high school for my daughter for next year. We prefer that she go to a high school that has a dorm with dorm counsellors and adequate supervision and support for the students. She is an incredibly intelligent girl with a lot of questions and trying to figure out who she is. Are there girl's high schools that have dorms? We prefer Chabad, but are not limiting ourselves to only Chabad, just definitely not anti Chabad. Any suggestions are welcome.

TIA

aidelmaidel

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 9:05 pm
Chicago
Bnos menachem
Worcester
New haven (not sure if its happening)
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Kfar chabad
A few in florida IIRC

Check the last year's worth of nshei chabad magazines - they all advertise there

cindy324

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 9:34 pm
I have a 10th grade daughter in New Haven's Beth Chana Academy. It's Chabad and she loves it. It's a very small school, but academically strong. She excells in school because of all the one on one attention she gets.

PM me for more info, be happy to help!

here's there website:http://www.schacademy.org/page.cfm?p=6

imdl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 9:47 pm
Rohr Bais Chaya in Florida has a dorm - you can check out their website: baischaya.com
Please pm me with any questions.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 10:35 pm
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Bais Rivkah, which has a very nice dorm, with very qualified counselors!

Bnos Menachem also has a beautiful dorm!

I think the Bais Rivkah, or Bnos Menachem dorm environment is a great place for your daughter to grow, especially in her chassidishkeit, and love for Yiddishkeit.

MommyZ

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 11:37 pm
cindy324 wrote:
I have a 10th grade daughter in New Haven's Beth Chana Academy. It's Chabad and she loves it. It's a very small school, but academically strong. She excells in school because of all the one on one attention she gets.

PM me for more info, be happy to help!

here's there website:http://www.schacademy.org/page.cfm?p=6

I went there for one year (11th grade) and found it to be insular and cliquey. There wasn't a dorm so I boarded with a family which had its challenges as well.

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 11:54 am
Can anyone explain to me the basic difference between Bnos Menachem and Beis Rivkah

elmos

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 12:58 pm
their is a newer one in monsey with a small dorm my cousin goes their she loves it and my aunt is quite happy pm me if you want me to get ddetails btw it is a chabad school

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 1:22 pm
Bais rivka was started by the fridker rebbe in 1940 something. It is the largest of the 3 schools and there are about 100-120 girls per grade.

Bnos menachem was started about 10 years ago? There is one class of about 20-25 per grade.

Depending on who you ask, you will get a wide variety of opinions about both schools. I think it depends on the girl and what she needs. Its worth it to come and visit both schools with her and meet the principals.

And while I can only speak for myself, if your daughter comes to crown heights for high school, I would be very happy to have her as our shabbos guest Smile (and I'm sure the rest of the crown heights imamothers would too!)

cindy324

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 7:40 pm
Quote:
I went there for one year (11th grade) and found it to be insular and cliquey. There wasn't a dorm so I boarded with a family which had its challenges as well.

Really??? I guess you had a different crowd in those days, but my dd LOVES it, all the HS girls are friends, there's only like 13 of them, lol, they welcomed my dd with open arms, they do have a dorm now, which is a house right next door to the school. Their dorm counselor we're not gonna discuss, the girls are not crazy about her, but they have someone helping them work on that relationship. There's only four girls in the dorm and they bonded real quick.

DD loves the basketball team, and she just got one of the main parts in the upcoming production. Her report card went from barely passing last year to all A's and a few B's. She was always awful at math, but her teacher this year, an amazingly patient woman, told her that she she'll explain a thousand more times if she has to, until she gets it. My dd is now getting straight A's in math.

We get constant e-mails regarding her progress from most of her teachers, and B"h we're seeing lot of nachas.

Oh and I should mention the fully sponsored trip to Poland in 12th grade, where they take the girls to get a real feel for the holocaust. I already told the school that I am volunteering now, 2 years in advance to be a chaperone if they need one LOL

MommyZ

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 11:36 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Quote:

Really??? I guess you had a different crowd in those days, but my dd LOVES it, all the HS girls are friends, there's only like 13 of them, lol, they welcomed my dd with open arms, they do have a dorm now, which is a house right next door to the school. Their dorm counselor we're not gonna discuss, the girls are not crazy about her, but they have someone helping them work on that relationship. There's only four girls in the dorm and they bonded real quick.

DD loves the basketball team, and she just got one of the main parts in the upcoming production. Her report card went from barely passing last year to all A's and a few B's. She was always awful at math, but her teacher this year, an amazingly patient woman, told her that she she'll explain a thousand more times if she has to, until she gets it. My dd is now getting straight A's in math.

We get constant e-mails regarding her progress from most of her teachers, and B"h we're seeing lot of nachas.

Oh and I should mention the fully sponsored trip to Poland in 12th grade, where they take the girls to get a real feel for the holocaust. I already told the school that I am volunteering now, 2 years in advance to be a chaperone if they need one LOL

Yes. It wasn't a really positive experience for me and I chose to change schools for 12th grade when the opportunity came up.

cindy324

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 12:42 am
Sorry about that MommyZ, it's so important to find a place where u feel like u fit in. Hope you had a better time in 12th grade!

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 12:58 am
cindy324 wrote:
Sorry about that MommyZ, it's so important to find a place where u feel like u fit in. Hope you had a better time in 12th grade!

In many respects yes but I'm glad that it's over and behind me.

justcallmeima

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:01 am
Thank you so much everyone for your feedback. Feel free to add more replies. Thanx!!

elmos

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:15 pm
monssey bais chaya mushka my cousin loves it and my aunt is very happy

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:33 pm
Bump

Would love to find out about Chabad/Chabad friendly high schools that would be a good place for a sweet, out of town girl.

TIA

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:10 pm
Monsey Beis Chaya Mushka or MBCM as it is affectionately called no longer has a dorm as classes are mainly filled with in towners. In the beginning their was a dorm when there weren’t enough in towners to fill the classes. There are families who except boarders I’ve had three graduates and more to come ... girls love going to school it is warm and supportive

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:11 pm
LGHS in Chicago has a dorm

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:09 am
My daughter is just finishing the Naaleh program at Beit Chana Tzfat. She loves it and it seems to be a really great crowd of girls there. Many daughters of shluchim from all over Europe, a few from the USA. (plus the regular israeli students) You don't have to know hebrew to go there but my daughter is fluent now and is completing her bagrut.

Airfare might be expensive, depending where you live, but the school itself is completely free (the Israeli government pays your fees) and they even give pocket money and pay for a cellphone plan and books and uniform.

The girls have a shabbos off every other week so it is helpful if you have friends or relatives in Israel she can go to for that shabbos, although she could go with a friend.

My siblings who sent their older daughters to Beis Rivka are now sending the younger ones to Naaleh.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:46 am
Bais ChomeshToronto
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics