Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Special school for a non special, not mainstream girl ideas?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 10:43 pm
I was wondering if anyone can help me out with information on frum special ed type schools or programs for girls in the Brooklyn area. There is a little girl I know who is right now in a mainstream school with a shadow working with her in the classroom. Socially she is very aware and alert and normal, (though she is emotionally less mature then her classmates.) She has sensory issues which is why she has the shadow (she can be prone to meltdowns) but now that she is in first grade its clear that she has learning disabilities as well. She can grasp concepts such as math and reading, but very slowly and only with intense one on one explaining and special type learning. Her self esteem is going down the drain as she realizes that her classmates can do simple problems and she cant. She is aware enough to know she is different but she doesn't understand why.
Resource rooms and special ed classes within mainstream schools would not be ideal for her because she would know she is different and that is a very sensitive topic for her. Special schools with kids that have DS or mild autism would not work because she is very aware mentally and socially. I was wondering if there are any full time schools that cater to kids like this in the Brooklyn area. If anyone has any information that could help I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
I was wondering if anyone can help me out with information on frum special ed type schools or programs for girls in the Brooklyn area. There is a little girl I know who is right now in a mainstream school with a shadow working with her in the classroom. Socially she is very aware and alert and normal, (though she is emotionally less mature then her classmates.) She has sensory issues which is why she has the shadow (she can be prone to meltdowns) but now that she is in first grade its clear that she has learning disabilities as well. She can grasp concepts such as math and reading, but very slowly and only with intense one on one explaining and special type learning. Her self esteem is going down the drain as she realizes that her classmates can do simple problems and she cant. She is aware enough to know she is different but she doesn't understand why.
Resource rooms and special ed classes within mainstream schools would not be ideal for her because she would know she is different and that is a very sensitive topic for her. Special schools with kids that have DS or mild autism would not work because she is very aware mentally and socially. I was wondering if there are any full time schools that cater to kids like this in the Brooklyn area. If anyone has any information that could help I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

ohr halimud in boro park specializes in girls with dyslexia. this might be a good place to look into. I don't have the number offhand, but I could probably get it for you.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:13 pm
Unfortunately, in a regular school, she is lucky if she can get good shadow!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 10:37 am
BestMomBrooklyn wrote:
Unfortunately, in a regular school, she is lucky if she can get good shadow!

she has an amazing shadow- but as you read, the childs self esteem is plummeting.
I'll pass along the other school.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 10:51 am
Googling something else, I found:

Cahal and Kulanu, both in Cedarhurst, L.I., Yeshiva for Special Students in Kew Gardens Hills, Queens; Sinai School in Teaneck, N.J., and Ivdu in Midwood, Brooklyn that provide a specialized Jewish curriculum

I know people who have been happy with Sinai.

Far, far from Brooklyn, Westchester-Fairfield is supposed to have a fabulous (co-ed) program.

I thought that MDS also had a program (that's what I was googling), but can't find anything online.

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 9:30 am
chush, jewish center for special education deals with kids like this. they teach math and reading english and hebrew one on one.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 10:35 am
Gesher Yehuda is an amazing school.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 7:52 pm
thanks fo rthe replies, I will look into them.

Has anyone heard of Ptach in Boro Park? What kind of a program is it?
Also does anyone have first hand experience with the arrowsmith program? Can it work for a first grader? Would they have the patience to sit through it every day?

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:15 pm
there is a p'tach in bais yaakov d'rav meir.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that it doesn't start until 3rd grade. but I would call to find out for sure.

ichud runs out of BYA. I think it is ptach-like but I don't really know much about the program.

If you are looking at p'tach many times the children are mainstreamed- and that is the point- to slowly get the children mainstreamed into the regular class.

if you are looking at ivdu (runs out of the shulamith building) they are not mainstreamed and the children have a very wide range of issues. they do have a preschool and first grade. some of the girls are just very slow while others have multiple cognitive and physical delays.

thats all I know about those particular special ed programs.

do you have the jewish press building block magazine that lists ALL the special ed jewish schools?

bnm

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:18 pm
Tifres Miriam

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:20 pm
bnm wrote:
Tifres Miriam

I think that many of those girls are on medication (for emotional problems). In fact, I think one of the prerequisites for that school is to take your meds!

shnitzel

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:45 pm
MDS does have a special ed program. What is her frumkeit level? MDS has co-ed classes until Grade 4 and there are quite a few kids from Brooklyn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics