Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When to turn over my kitchen

MrsMortgage

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 10:02 pm
Hi All! I'm trying to figure out when to turn over my kithen for Pesach. Here's a bit of background info:

I'm due on the 7th day of pesach, so I cant save everything for the very end like I normally would. I usually start pesach cleaning 2 weeks in advance and do the kitchen 3-4 days in advance to allow myself ample time to cook. I am not spring cleaning, I am pesach cleaning. I do not hunt for crumbs in clothing drawers, children books, or ceiling fans. My Rav said these things are ridiculous and unnecessary. My Rav also doesn't make me cover the counters, fridge shelves, or stove. So preparing for Pesach is really pretty easy. The kitchen will take one day total.

So my question is.... when should I turn over my kitchen?

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 10:06 pm
I do all the things you don't and I plan on turning over thursday night. We will have pesachdike shabbos that week and motsi shabbos I'm going to start all my juicing, peeling, cooking, etc. But it takes me an entire day to turn over so YMMV.

MrsMortgage

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 10:09 pm
would you turn over on thursday even if you were due 2nd days?

curlyhead

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:05 pm
Yes because you may be early. I find once I am turned over I am so much more relaxed. Go out for shabbos. Many shules organize shabbos lunch when shabbos is so close to Pesach

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:13 pm
If I was due on pesach (and I was due erev pesach but she came Rosh chodesh iyar), I would move in with a friend or family member - is that an option?

justanothermom

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:42 pm
I would do it as early in the week before shabbos hagadol as possible. I'd be very nervous about giving birth early (but that's probably because I'm always early).

As for the kid's food- they can eat cooked food that's pesachdik or cold food (cereal, sandwiches etc...) that's not. Making shabbos food that's pesachdik is very easy anyway, and it would only be 4 extra days during the week to worry about the kids meals (a few of which they'll be in school anyway). If it gets crazy, I'd even spend the money to take them out to eat one night.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 5:47 am
Do you turn everything over?

I turn over a little earlier (I think last year I did it Tuesday or Wednesday for Monday night Seder), but I cook lots of kitniot things before. I don't kasher my microwave, so we heat up rice, beans, etc until the end. If you have a crockpot you could also leave that out to cook fresh food in the week before Pesach and just wash it up in a treif sink before you "really" turn over.

Also, do you tend to go early? I know there are sometimes no patterns, but if you put it off until the last minute you could wind up giving birth in that last week and not having the kitchen done, or having dh have to do it while you are in the hospital.

MrsMortgage

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 8:45 am
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm due with my second so I don't have much precedent to work with. My first was born a day before his due date, but I've heard they tend to come earlier & earlier in my family.

I think I'll turn over on Weds. I wish I could just go to family but we don't have any frum family near by. In fact they might all come here!!

Amital

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 9:23 am
MrsMortgage-

I'm due the first day of Pesach, and I had my first child on time, my second two weeks early, and my third three days late. Talk about no pattern!

I am not sure when to turn over this year either yet. But I do plan to do meals outside for several days up to a week beforehand, so I'm planning that now. I do things like waffles (I make then freeze, then thaw and heat in the toaster, which I can do outside!), rice and veggies (rice cooker), sandwiches (cheese, cold cut, pb, cream cheese, etc--all but pb can be pesachdik so you can just take outside with the bread), and until my oven is turned, I do premade meals that I just reheat in there. Since this year, I'll have two ovens, I can turn one early to prep and keep one chametzdik longer!

Preparing like this really makes it easier for you to see how you feel and plan a little closer on. My family isn't a big fan of Passover food, so I usually wait until the end to turn, but this year, who knows?

Oh, and to ease my mind this year, I wrote out a detailed plan of attack for my husband or whoever else might need to turn over, too. I included everything, like where things are, pictures from last year (first time in this house), each step, planning for order, planning for the 24 hour rest, etc. Whew!

B shaa tova!

aidelmaidel

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 9:41 am
MrsMortgage wrote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm due with my second so I don't have much precedent to work with. My first was born a day before his due date, but I've heard they tend to come earlier & earlier in my family.

I think I'll turn over on Weds. I wish I could just go to family but we don't have any frum family near by. In fact they might all come here!!

If they are coming to you, then perhaps you can arrange it now that some come early to help you turn over - maybe there is a teenage girl (or two) who can come help - one to help turn over and one to watch your child.

MrsMortgage

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 10:16 am
Amital you are so organized it's just amazing!!! It's not a bad idea to precook both Pesach and pre-Pesach meals. Maybe I'll do that in a couple weeks...

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 10:20 am
My DD was born a week before Pesach. That year, I turned over my kitchen two weeks before...which was actually my due date (I figured I'd be late.)

It worked out beautifully - we turned over, had a week to cook and stock the freezer, and then I gave birth. I rested up for a few days after the birth, and then Pesach was here.

I did have my then-teenage sister to help me....boy do I owe her big time....

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 10:44 am
We were dscussing that last night, and I think that if you have to clean, shop and cook, you can't wait until the last minute. Being that you're due to have a baby shouldn't really change things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics