Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
He wants public school

amother

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:28 am
Rolling Eyes Twice-blessed (gifted, with mild Aspergers) child, doesn't "get" Gemara, or the need for Torah altogether. Wants to go to public school for HS, and give up Gemara entirely. If we try to keep him in a yeshiva, won't that make him resent yiddishkeit even more? And yet how can we send him to a public school, even though they will be able to accomodate his learning needs better than any yeshiva can? I feel so torn. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:50 am
Maybe there is a yeshiva that he can come to feel will meet his needs. At any rate, set up a meeting with the principal or teacher he likes to discuss the matter, to give him encouragement to try yeshiva HS.

No, I did not have this situation. But I had the situation of a kid not linking their HS.

RoseSharon

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 7:19 pm
Quite honestly, public HS might be the best option for your kid. Do I mean every PHS, no, but there are some with "yiddish" programs where they do not interact with the other children. There are plenty of programs in the Brooklyn and Manhattan. They can't teach religion there due to the conflict between church and state but his needs will be met. You can supplement his learning in a style that caters to his needs w/o interference from the Yeshivah and in a way that will bring him closer not push him farther away.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 7:52 pm
Is he fully aware of what he'll have to deal with socially?

Inspire

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 11:07 pm
Yes, I've been through it, although mine was gifted but not Asperger's. As far as yiddishkeit I can't give you any positive advice, in the end, mine left and is now a highly gifted professional in the secular world. But it may be helpful to read some of the books that describe typical profiles of gifted kids and the struggles and challenges they have with respect to moral and faith issues. The best advice I can give you is, nomatter what happens, support and love your child as only a mother can. If you are near Monsey, NY you can speak to Rabbi Gluck of Areivim, he works with kids who need to change schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)