Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Let's discuss gefilte fish; the frozen rolls
1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 5:56 pm
I get A and B which I really like, but it's crazy expensive at $6.79 for each roll. I occasionally get the salmon kind, too, to layer, and it's EIGHT DOLLARS.

What kind do you like and how much is it?

Please - no mussar about Hashem providing, yada yada yada. I know it and accept it, okay?

red sea

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 6:44 pm
Royal and Only Royal I dont know or care what it costs cuz its the only one that tastes real good to me.

mali

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 3:13 pm
We have A&B and Ungar's in Israel, but they are SOOOOOO expensive! (about $10 for the white fish rolls).

suomynona

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 4:36 pm
mali wrote:
We have A&B and Ungar's in Israel, but they are SOOOOOO expensive! (about $10 for the white fish rolls).

So what do you do?
I've been meaning to start a thread about this for a while, to find out what others in Israel do.
I'm still trying to come up with a solution to what I call the "gefilte fish" problem in Israel.
I don't think I would go near the israeli brands with a 10 foot poll and the American kind is so expensive here.
My husband doesn't like Salmon or any other kind of fish.
'Til now we were bringing A&B from America, but it's a real pain and not a long term solution. We just got back from America and I decided not to bring back this time.
When we don't have guests, we only use 1/2 a loaf, so we decided that we'll buy here. And when we have guests for shabbos day, we just won't serve fish. (We rarely have Friday night guests).

Maybe one day I'll try making my own. anyone have a good recipe with fish available in Israel?

suomynona

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 4:37 pm
SaraG wrote:
I get A and B which I really like, but it's crazy expensive at $6.79 for each roll. I occasionally get the salmon kind, too, to layer, and it's EIGHT DOLLARS.

Isn't regular A&B only $4-$5 in America?

mali

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 5:15 pm
suomynona wrote:
mali wrote:

So what do you do?
We buy them at that price! Sometimes we have salmon or halibut, but when we have gefilte, we just pay full price.

rainbow baby

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 5:15 pm
I cannot believe it I was ust looking at how much a log of fish in the UK costs and I think it is around 6- 7 UK Pounds, I just converted it to US Dollars and it came out at $13. That seems crazy compared to the US and Israel costs. But they do say that food in the UK is more expensive than the US.

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 5:33 pm
my mother once got some wholesale for me for about £3.30 a log in London. Can't remember the brand, (not bobbies) but they were fine. They sell bobbies here for about 7 euro, so you must be wrong about the price.

rainbow baby

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 5:39 pm
You might be right just thinking about it maybe it was a double pack, but to tell you the truth I do not mind spending that much, I used to make my own and no one ate it. I now buy Bobbies and everyone eats it. So it is definately worth it.

MommyLuv

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 10:00 pm
I use whatever's cheapest-Rubashkin's rolls are only 4.50 here, so I'm ok with it-and it tastes pretty good Smile

nicole81

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 10:27 pm
freunds. I think it's about $5.79

red sea

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 10:28 pm
My sister makes her own gefilte fish a lot and its quite good, I'll try to get the recipe and post for you suomynona.

shayna82

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 10:35 pm
ungers or bentzis, they both seem the same to me. this week we got lox instead, we were in only friday night and had no guests, so I fgured why not. and im just gettin gmy kitchen back after the upsherin, so it was one less thing I had to patchky with.

Tovah

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 10:56 pm
we only like raskins 6.99$

Sregion28

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 12:02 am
I only buy Ungars. My (non Jewish) grocery stores carries it and before Rosh Hashana, pesach, etc... will put it on sale so I stock up. During the 9 days it was on sale Buy one get one free which works out to around $2.50 a roll. So I bought 15 and put them in my freezer! Should carry me over for a long time! (I dont make it every week)

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 12:07 am
I buy Gefilte fish by the case from my fathers company that he works for so I think I only pay 2.50 a roll. When I run out I hate going to the store you cant get a roll for under 5.50 here. besides when I finish with the gefilte fish (breading it, gefilte fish balls etc) it doenst matter what it originaly tasted like bc I change the flavor so much so I would never spend more than 6 on a roll.

faigie

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 12:08 am
we use royal

realeez

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 12:12 am
Here A & B's is like 8.99 a roll and Ungar's is like 6 something. I make my own and it's soooo much better than the rolls - we can't "go back!"

batya_d

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 12:47 am
mommyabc123 wrote:
Here A & B's is like 8.99 a roll and Ungar's is like 6 something. I make my own and it's soooo much better than the rolls - we can't "go back!"

binah918

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 4:38 am
I'm in Israel and buy דג דלישס at Shefa Shuk for 19 NIS. I don't eat gefilte fish so I can't tell you what I think, but my husband loves it. We've never even tried the American brands because of the price.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics