Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Did you have a wedding cake?
1  2  3  Next

Did you have a wedding cake?
yes  
 25%  [ 34 ]
no, I didn't want one  
 68%  [ 93 ]
no, but I wanted one  
 2%  [ 4 ]
other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 135

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:14 am
It's not really done in my circles, but my sister wanted one, so she got one Very Happy . My parents also had one. They have a picture of them feeding each other LOL , what a mess!!

Did you have one? Is it normally done in your circles? Can you post a picture? I've been watching Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes and it's fascinating. Some of the wedding cakes that they've done are so non-traditional, but still beautiful. I don't have any desire to do things like that though because it's only temporary art Wink .

Last edited by yo'ma on Tue, May 21 2019, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

mrshj

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:18 am
Definitely not done in my circles. I have never been to a chasidishe chasuna in Williamsburg where they had a wedding cake.

rovacat

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:34 am
I didn't have a cake bec. I didn't care. if I did, I could have had one. I don't think it's such a jewish (at least religious) custom. my sister makes beautiful fondunt cakes- it's a hobby of hers, so I've watched those cake shows with her. they are so cool to watch! it's amazing what types of cakes people can create.

suzyq

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:46 am
I had a friend who really wanted to make me a wedding cake, but our caterers wouldn't allow any outside food in, so she brought it to our Shabbos sheva brachos. It was really nice, and she made it to match the lace on my dress. But if we hadn't had one, I wouldn't have cared much.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:09 am
No. We had dessert though. Apple strudle.

mamommommy

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:14 am
My parents wanted one, so we had one. The only reason why I know that is because we have a picture of us "cutting the cake". Otherwise I have no recollection of a cake at our wedding.

3mitzvos

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:20 am
The hall that we booked in Yerushalayim included a three-tier wedding cake in the package... funny though, b/c I don't even remember seeing it at the chasunah!

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:24 am
Yes, I really wanted one. I wanted the cake cutting pictures :-)

We didn't get anything strange or fancy, just a simple white, three tiered cake.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:39 am
If there was one we certainly didn't cut it and I can't remember it at all, I was too busy dancing and making googly eyes with dh to remember anything about the food. To me it would be all about the pictures otherwise it's just an unnecessary expense.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:46 am
Merrymom, we used it as the dessert at the wedding. It didn't cost more than regular dessert.

acccdac

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:46 am
two years earlier my brother got married and had a cake, I dont know if I wanted or didnt want a cake but we decided that instead of having a basic dessert or a Viennese table we decided to order desserts for a 1/3 of the amount of guests and we had our caterer make mini-3-tiered wedding cakes as teh dessert. We ordered 3 different flavors, and we even took home a good 20 cakes that were never served. It was like having a wedding cake without wasting a wedding cake.

chillax

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 12:00 pm
We had one but in general I don't see that many people have them at frum weddings.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 12:34 pm
My mother's father, alav hashalom, was a baker, and as the first of the grandkids to get married, my aunts were very excited to carry on his memory and bake me a wedding cake themselves.
I don't think it's a particularly frum custom, and they're all Conservative, but it was an awesome cake. (It was in addition to chocolate-covered raspberry sorbet bombes, which was the only thing I requested about the whole wedding. And I totally ate one. I never understood the kallahs who forget to eat...)

Blue leopard-print ribbon trim on a chocolate cake? I'm the only Bais Yaakov girl I know who had something like that. Smile

amother

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 12:47 pm
I really wanted one especially cuz I got married on my 18th birthday (shmone esrie lchuppah Tongue Out ) but my mil didnt want to bring attention to my age so she asked that I rather not get one. so I didnt. but we got one in our yichud room instead Smile

imabima

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 1:07 pm
We had a regular dessert for our guests, and at our table, for me and mu chosson, we had a Friendly's ice cream cake. We met at Friendly's when I was a waitress and I thought it was cute at the time. Also, I got to eat as much as I wanted! YUMMMY! I miss my pre-cholov Yisroel days...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 1:12 pm
I feel a bit better that they were unable to have a great one at my wedding Smile
I don't know anyone who didn't have some kind of wedding cake. We had one with several "floors", and I asked for a chatan and kalla on top, they didn't have, so they put a ballet dancer Rolling Eyes
And also a challa, no idea why. DH says it's an Ashkenazic custom (from where, he doesn't know).

Our engagement cake was a stacked cake and the classic stuff I wanted.
http://forum.wordreference.com.....82539

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 1:37 pm
I didn't have one.

LibraMommy

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 1:37 pm
No wedding cake. Not generally done in my circles.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 2:42 pm
bigsis144 and ruchel, now we're talking. thanks for posting a pic and might I say...yum!!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 2:49 pm
I cant remember, but we had a birthday cake instead. my brother's birthday was the same day as our wedding, so at the end, we had a "happy birthday to you" sung and a cake brought out. it was actually very cute.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics