Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Did you have a wedding cake?
Previous  1  2  3

Did you have a wedding cake?
yes  
 25%  [ 34 ]
no, I didn't want one  
 68%  [ 93 ]
no, but I wanted one  
 2%  [ 4 ]
other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 135

singleagain

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:25 pm
I had a cake. Don't remember much about it.

Next time around I want to have a cheesecake

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:25 pm
we had a wedding cake a few layers tall as the empire state building with a bride and groom on it I dont remember eating it.
my friend just had a wedding and instead gave out fancy miniture desserts.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:39 pm
yes an elegant and simple beige three layered wedding cake that we almost forgot to serve.

around midnight (towards the end of the event) my mother said: 'oh we forgot to bring the cake.' so they brought the cake in, it was fun but nothing special. it was DELICIOUS!!!!!! but totally unnecessary , a nice 'extra' but again: u can easily skip that step Wink

id say 50% of weddings here serve wedding cake.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:47 am
I got married in Israel where it’s really not a thing to have a wedding cake.
We were also “older” and DH would have felt ridiculous having a cake cutting ceremony

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:32 am
We got a cake with the hall's catering. I didn't want it but didn't have a choice. It was full of margarine. I don't think I even tasted it. It was pretty simple. Definitely didn't do a cake cutting ceremony - don't know any one who did in Israel.

imasoftov

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:36 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
... we even had a tsniusdig chosson kallah cake topper ...

I heard a story of a wedding where the mesader kiddushin was seen sticking his finger in the frosting and using some to adjust the bride's neckline on the cake topper.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:06 am
imasoftov wrote:
I heard a story of a wedding where the mesader kiddushin was seen sticking his finger in the frosting and using some to adjust the bride's neckline on the cake topper.

That just sounds unhygienic.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:48 am
I didn't want a cake but requested a parve ice cream dessert that I had had from that caterer before. In the end, the waiter didn't bring us our dessert because we hadn't gotten a chance to eat the main course.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 8:18 am
Didn’t read the other threads, but bumping this up.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 8:22 am
We had the choice of a wedding cake or Viennese Table. As a foodie who loves cookies as sweets but doesn’t like cake or frosting, it was a no brainer. Why make everyone eat the same cake when you can have tons of variety (and why bring home the extra cake when you can have linzertarts, chocolate chip cookies, apple strudel.....)

bernadette

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 9:43 am
No cake at my wedding. There was a Viennese table, with some sort of cake, but I don think that would be considered a wedding cake.
I’ve been to many weddings: chassidish, litivish, Chabad, MO, Syrian, jpf etc etc I haven’t seen a wedding cake at any of those weddings .

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 10:06 am
We had a cake - commonly done in my MO circles. It looked pretty, but tasted unremarkable. Which I'm told is the case not just in frum communities, since fondant is used on most wedding cakes and is just not that tasty.

A cousin who got married last year had pies at her wedding, which seems like a great idea to me. WHo doesn't love pie! And parve pies are IMHO tastier than parve cakes.

keym

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 10:14 am
Lets_Eat_Pie wrote:
We had a cake - commonly done in my MO circles. It looked pretty, but tasted unremarkable. Which I'm told is the case not just in frum communities, since fondant is used on most wedding cakes and is just not that tasty.

A cousin who got married last year had pies at her wedding, which seems like a great idea to me. WHo doesn't love pie! And parve pies are IMHO tastier than parve cakes.

Yum.
We didn't have a big cake. It's not done in my circles. But then again, I'm also not such a cake eater.
But pie? Yes please. I'll take a chocolate pecan, a chocolate cream pie, a cherry pie, and a lemon pie.
And I'll go to weekly pie tasting to be sure.
In fact weekly pie tasting for the duration of the marriage should probably be mandatory.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 11:48 am
keym wrote:
Yum.
We didn't have a big cake. It's not done in my circles. But then again, I'm also not such a cake eater.
But pie? Yes please. I'll take a chocolate pecan, a chocolate cream pie, a cherry pie, and a lemon pie.
And I'll go to weekly pie tasting to be sure.
In fact weekly pie tasting for the duration of the marriage should probably be mandatory.

Exactly! Pies are so yummy. You're making me hungry and I'm on a diet.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 11:55 am
We were asked if we wanted one, but we didn't, and nobody else we knew had. The thing about so many frum weddings is that most of the guests are gone by dessert. During the main, waiters put out small assortments of bite size cakes and chocolates and cookies on each table. Everyone could take when it worked for them, and that was dessert. I don't know what you do at a 300 seat wedding with a cake for 200 when dessert time if after the second dance and only 50 or 60 people are left, and many won't want it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 1:09 pm
Yes and no. The "cake" that was on display was a fake except for the top tier, which was given to us to take home. The guests were served what was ostensibly the remainder of the wedding cake but was actually slices of a regular sheet cake. This is a fairly common practice unless you special-order a cake from a bakery.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 1:40 pm
we had one thirty years ago a three tier cake wih bride and groom on top I never got a chance to taste it but has nice pics of it

DrMom

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 3:22 pm
We had a wedding cake because our wedding hall (this was in Israel) had wedding cake as part of the catering menu for weddings. It was a tiered cake, but a very simple design. They gave me a checklist of cake type and filling and I just picked something. My DH is not a big cake-eater and he couldn't care less.

No cake-cutting ceremony. I'm the bride -- not the kitchen staff. Somebody else can deal with cutting and serving the food. Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics