Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
"flakes"
1  2  Next

Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 9:30 am
my baby has "flakes" on his scull. He's got quite a lot of hair, so it is not very obvious, but I still would like to get rid of it...
any suggestions?

zkalan

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 10:40 am
I have the same problem, and the doctor prescribed a special shampoo called Selsun, I haven't used it yet, since my mother suggested I use regular Vaseline on the problem spots about 30 min-1 hr before a bath, it's a little messy, but works.
Good Luck!

Tefila

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 1:26 pm
Try using baby oil, massage into scalp then comb w/h baby comb. It will come out very easily, it's messy though.
Just relized you said he has alot of hair so it could hurt the combing bit. Sad But I had that it's called cradle cap w/h one of my babys w/h little hair and worked wonders
Afterwards bath and shampoo baby, shouldn't reaccur.

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 3:04 am
thanks freilich! I will try that. don't have a baby's comb yet, just a brush, so will have to buy that first.
re the hair - he's a man, he won't cry Wink

shoy18

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 7:45 am
I read in a magazine (BabyTalk its an amazing magazine) that baby oil does not cure the problem and that you should use what the dr. perscribes because what most babies have is esentially dandroff and it needs to be taken care of. Ihad this with my baby and as soon as I used the shampoo it went away

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 8:13 am
[
Quote:
quote="shoy18"] esentially dandroff
[/quote]

never heard of that before....so should I then use dandroff shampoo? isn't that a little "agressive" for baby's?
I don't think I will take him to the doctor just for this. it doesn't bother him as much as it bothers me Wink

Tovah

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 8:54 am
I used baby oil on my daughter and it worked. never came back again.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 9:42 am
My doc said to use olive oil--dont know the diff between that and baby oil,,but it worked

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 10:25 am
Quote:
you should use what the dr. perscribes

I would not suggest using aprescription shampoo on a baby -
do you know what's in it???? Exploding anger

All of my kids had cradle cap, and I did NOTHING special about it -
picked some off while nursing, & brushed them after washing.

Well, the older ones do not have any left by now.

Just relax, sit back & enjoy the baby!!!

Cradle cap bothers parents, not babies.

I am yet to hear at least 1 good reason for getting rid of the cradle cap aggressively.

shoy18

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 10:30 am
it can creep down onto thier faces and then its a real mess, one of neices had it, it was a nightmare

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 10:35 am
Quote:
ForeverYoung wrote:
[Just relax, sit back & enjoy the baby!!!

Cradle cap bothers parents, not babies.

you are right... embarrassed now I am embarrased I even opened up a thread on this....
it doesn't bother him B"H, but it doesn't smell very nice, and I just wanted to get rid of it!
but don't worry, I enjoy him BIG TIME!! might even turn into an evil m-i-l one day, hv's Wink

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 11:40 am
Quote:
it can creep down onto thier faces and then its a real mess, one of neices had it, it was a nightmare

how can that happen, pls explain in detail!

Quote:
now I am embarrased I even opened up a thread on this....

no need to!!! Wink
there is so much pressure around to take care of it -
with my 1st one EVERYBODY kept on telling me "You're cleaning his cradle cap, RIGHT!!?" And I tried, but he didn't cooperate & was very 'verbal' about it. LOL

SO I just let it be, and he is just fine, B'H

Quote:
might even turn into an evil m-i-l one day, hv's

Twisted Evil and your dil will complain about u on Imamother Twisted Evil

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 12:25 pm
yep fy. Dr told me it's perfectly fine to leave it as is. It does not need to be treated. But I used emol - it's a baby oil in his bath. I also combed it out - he didn't mind. But it does come back.

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 12:52 pm
Quote:
but it doesn't smell very nice, and I just wanted to get rid of it!

It is not aggressive to message oil onto their scalp they enjoy that and combing how bad is it.
Remember it's a baby comb and one is not tugging but doing it gently.

And after all is said and done they smell nice and clean and look it too even if only you notice it it's ok to do that.
I think better then picking it off when its dry during nursing etc.

Pearl you don't have to feel embarrassed about this thread. Have you seen some of the other ones on this forum?!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 3:19 pm
Quote:
I think better then picking it off when its dry during nursing etc

Hey, freilich,

you can think all you like, but ny baby had his own opinion on the matter lol

If you both enjoy - go ahead. My son didn't. With my second one I had no time to play around. With this one I don't have time either.
Quote:
It is not aggressive to message oil onto their scalp they enjoy

but prescription dandruff shampoo IS.

Yael

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:22 pm
I used to pick it off while nursing, b/c it would bother me alot. B"H my babies didnt have it too bad.
even when I see it on someone else's baby that I'm holding I cant resist and I always pick some off. embarrassed

wonder

Post Wed, Mar 30 2005, 3:42 am
Massage baby oil on his head in the evening, then the next day, around 12 hours later, give him a bath, and comb the hair in the opposite direction from growth, with a baby comb. It wont all come off in one go, but after a few treatments it will. Dont do this more then once or twice a week or it can irratate his skull, and picking it off when it is dry might be painful for the baby. I did the baby oil treatment, it worked and my baby didnt cry at all.
Babies look and smell so much sweeter when they have a clean sculp. It doesnt take too much effort and doesnt hurt them. why leave a baby looking dirty and neglected? Also, the longer you leave it, the worse it gets. It starts with a little patch, and if its not treated it speads, becomes yellowish and starts to smell.

Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 30 2005, 3:49 am
wonder, thank you, I will give that a try!

btw, just to clarify something,
Quote:
[quote="wonder"] why leave a baby looking dirty and neglected? .[/quote
]
it doesn;'t look dirty or neglected. my baby has so much hair, I am almost the only one who sees it Wink

wonder

Post Wed, Mar 30 2005, 7:41 am
Didnt mean to say that your baby looks dirty and neglected, you re lucky he has hair to cover it up, but what happens eventually is that the skin starts to flake into the hair, and that doesnt look too nice either.
Good luck with the treatment.

Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 30 2005, 8:01 am
you are absolutely right! and I really don't like the smell.....such a pitty, because the rest of him smells hmmmm!

ok, silly question here, but what makes a comb a real baby friendly comb?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics