Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
No bar mitzvas in the world this month
1  2  Next

Isramom8

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 6:17 pm
Did anyone read that incredible article in Hamodia? Thirteen years ago there was one Adar and this year there are two. So this entire month of Adar I - no Jewish boy in the world is having a bar mitzva. Really!

Liba

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 6:23 pm
cool. Smile

My DH's was born in a leap year, obviously not 13 years ago, and somehow I forgot which Adar and planned a surprise a month early. LOL We will put up the cards and posters again next month I guess. Very Happy

Isramom8

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 6:29 pm
LOL! If he had been born in the first Adar, he would have had very few birthdays and would be a much younger man. Wink

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 7:29 pm
An interesting observation indeed.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 12 2011, 11:26 pm
What am I missing? Shouldn't it be that this year there are no bar mitzvahs in Adar II?

Seraph

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
What am I missing? Shouldn't it be that this year there are no bar mitzvahs in Adar II?
Adar alef is the added Adar, not Adar Beis. Which is why Purim is in Adar Beis, not Alef.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 12:45 am
Seraph wrote:
amother wrote:
Adar alef is the added Adar, not Adar Beis. Which is why Purim is in Adar Beis, not Alef.

Aha!!! Thank you for explaining.

yummydd

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 12:49 am
I got married in adar Alef so I guess I am married less years then I think I am........... LOL

bigsis144

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:40 am
I got married in Adar I, and since this is the first leap year since then, DH and I joke we've been in shana rishona for 3 years. Smile

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:44 am
Wow, that's crazy!

DS's birthday is Adar I, but in his Bar Mitzvah year (iy"h) there is only 1 Adar, and it's Purim Mishulash, so it will be quite an interesting weekend!

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 5:45 am
I was thinking into this interesting phenomenon and remembered that there are people and some chassidus who make bar mitzvah, including putting on tefillin for the first time as well as a seudah, a month before their actual bar mitzvah. So it’s more accurate to say that there are no boys turning 13 in the world this month.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 9:41 am
Isramom8 wrote:
LOL! If he had been born in the first Adar, he would have had very few birthdays and would be a much younger man. Wink

Not as young as Feb 29-ers; he'd have a lunar birthday 7 times out of 19 years, and a solar 5 out of 20.

shmaichul

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 10:04 am
Wow that is so cool! Never thought of that! I guess all the caterers have a quiet month...

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 10:06 am
My cousin was born on February 29th. She's very young with a large family of kids. LOL

cc

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 10:20 am
Thank g-d there's still weddings and brisim to keep the caterers busy

Isramom8

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 10:27 am
Some halls do mostly bar mitzvas. They can make up for it in a year where there is one Adar thirteen years after two. But only if they double book, say by having one simcha in the early afternoon and one at night.

Sherri

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 12:25 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
I was thinking into this interesting phenomenon and remembered that there are people and some chassidus who make bar mitzvah, including putting on tefillin for the first time as well as a seudah, a month before their actual bar mitzvah. So it’s more accurate to say that there are no boys turning 13 in the world this month.
Well, even though the boys put on the tefillin, the seuda is to celebrate exactly that, the tefillin leigen, not the kabbalos ol Torah umitzvos.
They are still only "bar mitzvah" when they turn 13.

Thanks for sharing that cool fact, Isramom8!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 12:29 pm
We were married Rosh Chodesh Adar Bet and only celebrate every few years LOL

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:02 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
My cousin was born on February 29th. She's very young with a large family of kids. LOL

The principal of my HS had a grandson on febuary 29th, he announced a mazel tov to himself and his wife and added, "don't feel bad that he will only have a birthday every 4 years, because he'll always have a hebrew birthday to celebrate"

I always thought it was such a cute way to put it. Although all those Adar alef babies have an interesting problem.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:05 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

The principal of my HS had a grandson on febuary 29th, he announced a mazel tov to himself and his wife and added, "don't feel bad that he will only have a birthday every 4 years, because he'll always have a hebrew birthday to celebrate"

I always thought it was such a cute way to put it. Although all those Adar alef babies have an interesting problem.

Yeah, come bar mitzvah time and double the amount of people will want shuls.
And locally things are still hopping - it's melaveh malka/chinese auction/play (ok, nothing in it for the caterers and halls)/etc. season. And weddings, B"H.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics