Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please give me tips
1  2  Next

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 3:51 pm
I need ideas how to live cheaply. I just sort of quit my job because they won't offer me any shift but 9-6pm. DH makes just enough money to cover everything, but it's going to be tough and I'm scared.

What are some cheap meal ideas? Cheap places to buy food (in Brooklyn), cheap/free activities I can do with my girls keeping in mind I don't have friends with kids the same age, where can I find the cheapest paper towels, tp, etc, you get my point!

And also, is a Cosco membership really worth it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 3:59 pm
You can't live measuring every square of toilet paper and every spoonful of mayonaise.

When your baby is a little bigger, maybe after Tishrei, you should find something else.

JMto2

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:00 pm
Tip #1 do not use CC becasue if you can not afford the item you will not buy it.
Costco I find I spend more when I go in there because I like this or that but yes they are cheaper in some things like wipes and pampers and if you use a lof of vegies
Walmart though is cheaper in paper towels and detergent
Try to buy as much as possible on sale.
Grocery shop according to menus and according to a list you save more like that because you do not buy the extras and you do not end up throwing things out becasue you thought you might use it.
Good luck

momofgirls

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:00 pm
if you will buy in costco then I think it is worth the membership & they send out coupons every once in awhile so you can buy then to. I'll think of other things & I wil write as I think g'luck

su7kids

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:03 pm
This website, not affiliated with me, or anyone I know, and definitely not kosher (food wise) but has some great ideas, may help:

http://www.livingonadime.com/

jewgal84

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:04 pm
B4 travelling to what seems like a cheaper store, calculate the gaz and see it it's worth it.

Sometimes your trip will be more expensive than your savings Exploding anger !!

su7kids

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:14 pm
By the way, one of the problems I found with Costco is that when you buy large amounts in bulk, you tend to think thatyou have so much stuff so you're "generous" with it, whereas ifyou have smaller quantities, you use it more sparingly.

Just keep it in mind.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:22 pm
The first thing that will have to go is restaurants and takeout.
There are more expensive supermarkets, and cheaper ones. Stick to the cheaper ones, no matter how much more convenient the expensive one is(in terms of selection).
If a fruit or vegetable is not in season and on sale, don't buy it! Plan your menus around whats in season.
Try to stick with red meat only on shabbos, and more expensive types of chicken (ie chicken breast) also only on shabbos.
Look othrough the supermarkets flyer when it comes to your house to see if paper towels etc are on sale.
Generic shampoo and soap can save you a pretty penny, so much so, that the bigger bottles you can buy at CostCO that are not generic, end up more expensive.
Make sure your dry cleaner is giving you the best price, shop around for a good but cheap dry cleaner. And where possible, try not to dry clean so much.
You can buy lots of crafts etc for your kids at the dollar store!

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:28 pm
Is Kollel the cheapest supermarket in Brooklyn? Is there anywhere cheaper for meats?

The more I'm reading the more I'm seeing that costco is a bad idea. Thanks for the responses so far!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:16 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Is Kollel the cheapest supermarket in Brooklyn? Is there anywhere cheaper for meats?

Get into the habit of picking up the VUES each Wed.

It has ads from Friedman's and the Kollel Store (and others).in addition to those two stores being more reasonably priced than any others in B.P., their sale items are great and they have meat-chicken sales every week

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:40 pm
I like costoco for certain things, but not everything is cheaper. Wipes, garbage bags, ketchup, plastic silverware and cups is all I ever buy there but its worth it just for that.

I used to be a big shoprite fan but then I realized that pharmacys have the best sales on shampoo, diapers and other cleaning products especially paper towels! watch those circulars or just go into your closest pharmacy once a week to see whats on sale.

also paperific has great prices on chicken and meat, its not the greatest selection but they have the standard things.

MOM222

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:58 pm
Ideas for your girls.

No money - would be the library. They have computers for little kids, which my 4 year old loves to play with. And younger kids, just read books, watch other kids and play with toys. I can spend a good 2 hours -coming, going, staying on a rainy or hot day.

Another money saving tip is , bake whatever you can at home. Challah is a lot cheaper to bake then buy and so it cookies, cake...

gryp

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 7:09 pm
Nicole, what kinds of things does your family like to eat? does it have to be meat and chicken for supper, or is tuna and eggs also okay?

when I dont feel like cooking or eating, we just have a big salad, pitas, and something to go in the pita- falafel, omelettes, tuna salad, tuna patties, etc. and I make something simple like baked potatoes or spanish rice on the side.
it works in my house!

queen

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 8:15 pm
get a little coupon folder (in the dollar store) and clip coupons of products you use. Pay attention to which coupons you have, and use them to buy products that are already on sale in the supermarket- this way saving double.

for ex: mayo on sale for $1.99.
you buy two mayo's using your coupon for $1 off 2 containers.
you've now paid $1.50 a container of mayo..... that normally is over $3 or $3.

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 10:58 pm
GR wrote:
Nicole, what kinds of things does your family like to eat? does it have to be meat and chicken for supper, or is tuna and eggs also okay?

dh is definitely used to eating meat, but that will have to change! I made a tuna casserole for the first time tonight and he liked it so that's one inexpensive dish to start with. I don't think eggs would fly though.

falafel sounds like a great idea. do you have a recipe? or do you just make it from the box?

momofgirls

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 11:24 pm
I also found that some items the kosher brands are cheaper ex. ceral taanug vs kellogs, heinz vs gefen etc. I buy mayo, ketchup & ceral the kosher brands I don't see a difference.

ny21

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 11:46 pm
Their is a site I think its called WEEKLYfreebies.com
you can get samples of shampoo ETC>.
free in the mail!
I have seen an ad on luach .com of women who want to split
a costco membership !
hope this helps !

shoy18

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 8:41 am
a very cheap and delcious meal is pizza! most cookbooks have a recipe for dough and it freezes very well so if you make extra you can freeze it.

chop meat is fairly cheap and you can make a lot with chop meat.

I know this sounds rediculous and you probably never go to monsey but if one day you end up there, meat is so much cheaper there so stock up!!! obviously Im NOT talking about the butcher who sold not kosher, whenever I go there I buy a freezer full of stuff.

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 2:20 pm
Quote:
dh is definitely used to eating meat, but that will have to change! I made a tuna casserole for the first time tonight and he liked it so that's one inexpensive dish to start with.

tuna casserole is a great cheap meal. for us its more like a lunch though.

Quote:
I don't think eggs would fly though.

we fry them with cheese and vegetables, stuff them into pitas, and have something else like spaghetti on the side.

Quote:
falafel sounds like a great idea. do you have a recipe? or do you just make it from the box?

I just buy the frozen ones but not very often since its fattening.
they also sell powder where you just add water to it and form the balls and fry them.
we usually have this on a sunday when we have lots of salads leftover from shabbos to add to the pitas.

its very true that the Jewish brands can be much cheaper than the regular ones.
and I stopped buying brand name diapers. the generic brands are just as good (and better than the Luvs I used to buy!) and half the price.

nicole81

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 2:28 pm
I really think dh would love falafel. I know my toddler does, too. don't know why I never thought about making it before.

in terms of diapers, I'm already using cloth so there's not much to be saved there!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics