Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Going to a simcha - hungry!
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:40 pm
Am I the only one who does this?

I don't mean I have starved myself all day, but if I am attending an evening wedding where I know I'll be eating the seudah, I certainly don't eat after lunch, or just have a small snack in the afternoon.

When I go to a Shabos Kallah, I generally come after a shiur, and yes, I'm hungry - and people are dreing a kup, how did you lose weight, who does your sheitals, etc.

I mean, it's a party, give me something to eat - isn't that why I eat salad and fruit all week?

jewgal84

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:42 pm
Funny that you mention it. I have a wedding tonight, which iyh going to in a few hrs, but I'm hungry, now!

I think I'll make something light to eat, I'm not going till like 8pm.

red sea

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:44 pm
Im just the opposite, I always make sure to eat before so that Im not hungry and I can just talk to pple and not get stuck if the food is not great or end up eating really unhealthy stuff.

Smiles

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:54 pm
same here, I make sure to eat before going to a wedding. I don't want to take a chance, in the event I do not like the food I'll be starving all night!!!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 5:00 pm
if it's a wedding, not a lechaim, how could yous tarve?

shmorg..........

bread, salads, if not fish or other appetizer.......soup.........themain. dessert.

drink..........

Smiles

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 5:09 pm
I guess I am a very picky eater! I need my homemade food! Wink

amother

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:36 pm
I usually eat something before going to a simcha. I never know if they are going to serve something I like and even if they do I don't want to "fress" on lots of fattening, unhealthy things. A little taste of this or that I will have. I don't plan on loading my plate up.

FYI....didn't you post a thread a while back about being angry that a bris you went to didn't serve enough food and you went hungry at work all day? Didn't you learn from that experience? Eat a little something at home before a simcha just in case such a situation happens!

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:37 pm
I always go hungry. I look forward to the treats at shabbos kallahs and weddings that I would never buy at home.

gali

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:41 pm
I do the same thing before going to a wedding or other simcha and going out to a restaurant: I don't eat!
I go on an empty stomach because I know there will be something I'll want to eat and I want to enjoy it, and I can't do that on a full stomach.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:56 pm
And that's why the caterer's and the non jewish wait staff talk about what a spectacle the frum crowds make a shmorg - as if they'd never seen food before! All decorum goes out the window with the prospect of a free buffet!!!!! Exploding anger

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 10:36 pm
no one said we eat like we never saw food before.

come on, amother!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 10:59 pm
My husband never likes to go hungry to a simcha. He doesn't feel comfortable eating more than a little in front of others. so I always serve supper before a simcha, unless it's family.

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 3:46 pm
and of course you did not have the guts to post that under your screenname!

As if non jews don't enjoy the food at a wedding the same way.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 3:49 pm
I make sure to go to a wedding hungry. I like to stuff myself at the buffet. I even bring tupperware so I can bring home leftovers! I mean, they're just going to throw away the leftovers. . . at least the food is not going to waste!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 4:23 pm
Whereas I am sure that Defy is kidding, I see no harm in coming and eating at least something right away. Lub. simchas gen. don’t have a shmorg though so that’s no temptation.

avigayil

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 4:24 pm
My father is a videographer and mainly does weddings.

Everyone likes the shmorg....buffet...whatever you call it.
The most excess he has seen is with the wealthy non jews, old money, blue bloods. In one bride's home, there were pictures of her father shaking hands with a former U.S. president. I don't know exactly how much food was there, but they spent $30,000 alone on flowers.

I also save my appetite for simchas. I mean, that's why the people having the simcha got a caterer right? We are suppossed to eat it, we might as well be ambitious about it Very Happy

jewgal84

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 5:08 pm
Yups, so after eating something light, I went to the wedding and enjoyed all the yummy foods there Very Happy .

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 7:53 pm
Quote:
I make sure to go to a wedding hungry. I like to stuff myself at the buffet. I even bring tupperware so I can bring home leftovers! I mean, they're just going to throw away the leftovers. . . at least the food is not going to waste!

Defy, Defy...all this time working all on your own when I could've been ur accomplice! If we work together I can wait by the back exit , u bring out all the full tupperware, I'll be waiting with empty ones so u can fill those up, too!

stem

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 8:02 pm
I heard this saying once: "non jews drink, Jews eat." LOL

micki

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 8:12 pm
I never go anywhere hungry.
too many times it takes too long until the food is there, or even aa shmog if I am starving I need to eat NOW not nibble politely.
I always eat first, and as a side point feed the kiddies at home too.
then when we get ther we "top off" I always have room for more!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics