Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Not looking into the mirror until baby has his first tooth

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 12:35 am
Did anyone hear that a baby should not look into a mirror until he gets his first tooth? What is the reason for this? Is it a custom, or is there more to it that you could elaborate on? TIA for any info you can give me regarding the above.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:01 am
I've heard that babies shouldn't look into mirrors, but everyone I asked had a different timeline about when it was 'ok' to let them look. I would be interested in a source as well, if one exists.

(My baby has enjoyed mirrors since day 1. Smile )

ElJayMom

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:42 am
I always put my baby to the mirror.... recently my friend saw me putting my baby to the mirror and boy did I get a yelling!

P.S. I still put her to the mirror.. Wink

hadasa

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 2:58 am
I think it's Bubbe Maises, but I still don't do it. My philosophy is : Bubbe Maises that I heard from my own Bubbe (or mother or MIL) I should follow because of Kibbud Eim, but I definitely don't have to take on anyone else's Bubbe's Maises!

Sherri

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 8:57 am
hadasa- I like that rule of thumb! Very Happy

I googled and found this, I guess you can look up the primary sources: http://matzav.com/beer-moshe-b.....inhag

obagys

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:12 am
I have heard the same thing about babies not looking into a mirror until their first tooth. Something about it being an eyen harah, but I don't know for what! I generally did try to avoid mirrors bec of it, but wasn't super crazy about it. A few of my kids did get a glimpse of themselves in the mirror before their first tooth and no one sprouted a third arm or anything.

Liba

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:24 am
Smile my grandmother got upset when ever anyone showed baby who didn't have teeth yet their image in a mirror, but she couldn't explain why.

It was a big issue when our pediatrician's office had mirrors the length of the exam table. There was no way to avoid them.

I still don't know why though.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:38 am
My sister came back from seminary and yelled at me about this, too... she said something about the baby growing up vain if you show them a mirror too early??

Sorry, but I Rolling Eyes at most of this stuff. I'm gonna burn in hell, I guess.

moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:24 am
Every time I come to this site, I find out about something else that's forbidden. Does it ever end??? Not that I follow any of these kinds of superstitious things...

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:51 am
I know that until the baby doesn't say a word correctly (other than totty or mommy) you should put them in front of a mirror. It confuses them...

Last edited by Tzutzie on Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

cc

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:51 am
I told my mother yesterday that my baby got his first tooth. She reminded me that he can now start looking at the mirror.
I dont know the reason but I do know that a minhag taken on by our mothers is treated like halacha. It's an easy way to do kibud aim.

cc

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:52 am
I told my mother yesterday that my baby got his first tooth. She reminded me that he can now start looking at the mirror.
I dont know the reason but I do know that a minhag taken on by our mothers is treated like halacha. It's an easy way to do kibud aim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics