Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice dishes using white rice

EMmom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 9:49 am
Anyone have good rice recipes (preferably with some vegtables) that do not use soy sauce?

TIA

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 10:58 am
KBD's spinach rice is very good.
We also like rice with sauteed onions and garlic, 1/2 cup frozen vegetables, salt and pepper...

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 12:41 pm
My fried rice does not use soy sauce. Best made with cold, leftover rice. Heat 1tbsp sesame seed oil (or regular vege oil will do), make omlette in a large skillet, set aside. In the same skillet, heat another 1tbsp oil, add rice (make sure to break up the lumpy bits), chopped salad onion, vegetarian cocktail sausages cut into small pieces (or use meaty ones) and frozen peas and/or sweetcorn. Season with salt, pepper, diluted chicken soup powder. Break up omlette and mix in before serving.

You can also sautee grated carrots and onions (about 1 large or 2 medium carrots, 1/2 large onion) till the colour turns yellowish. Add this to regularly cooked rice. Makes a lovely orange tinted rice.

Or make sabji pilov--cook white rice as usual, during the last 5min of steaming time add frozen peas and generous amount of fresh chopped dills and sauteed onions. For 4 cups of rice I use about 1cup peas and 2-3tbsp dills.

Or you can do confetti rice--cook rice as usual, add frozen veggie mix (carrots, peas, sweetcorn)

There's also mushroom rice. (I'm lazy so I just scatter sliced mushrooms and goodman onion soup mix on top of rice in the rice cooker).

Spanish rice--with tomato paste, red peppers (preferably sofrito--stirfried onions, garlic, red peppers)

Safran rice

Medjadara (rice with lentils), delish with fried/caramelised onions on top.

ttbtbm

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 12:48 pm
Saute an onions and chopped tomatoes for a long time on a low flame, umtil onions are golden. Add in rice, water and salt as usual and cook as you normally cook rice.
My favorite!

culinaryk

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 10:08 pm
My friend gave me this recipe and I have started to make it every Friday night. It is delicious and very easy and most of the time I have to double the recipe to have enough.

1 cup/s Rice
1 Onion Chopped
1 Red Pepper Cubed
1 Green Pepper Cubed
1 cup/s Chopped Mushrooms
1 Carrot Grated
2 tablespoon/s Mushroom Soup Mix Or Onion Soup Mix
1 teaspoon/s Salt
4 tablespoon/s Oil
2 cup/s Boiling Water

Preparation
Put everything in a 9x13 pan adding oil on top and boiling water last. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes