Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
HEALTHY and DELICIOUS cookbook??

amother

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 10:09 pm
I'm looking for suggestions.

My father is having some heart problems and seriously needs to eat more healthy, lose weight, lower cholesterol....the whole deal. The problem is that he loves food and has difficulty keeping to a healthy diet. I want to help motivate him by buying him a cookbook with enticing recipes that are also good for him. I'm hoping that this cookbook will be something that my family will learn to use and that even he will cook from.

So I know that there are many healthy cookbooks out there. But I want one that has a reputation for having YUMMY FOODS so that he won't be unhappy with the foods he's eating (and G-d forbid go back to his old eating habits Sad )

Please only suggest something if you really believe that the cookbook is a great one. Thanks in advance for your help!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 10:10 pm
By the way, I'm anonymous because ppl know me here and I don't think my father would appreciate having everyone know about his health problems.

besimcha

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 11:12 am
Try Deliteful Kosher Cooking by Nechama Cohen - I just got it, haven't made anything from it yet but it looks great.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 11:18 am
http://www.amazon.com/Enlitene.....books

Enlitened Kosher Cooking

happy2beme

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 12:32 pm
my father just told me ppl struggling with high cholestoral are supposed to take fish oil pills to help lower it. Maybe that can help with it

amother

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 1:18 pm
The cookbook by Nechama Cohen does look good. I like the fact that there are nice pictures, to help make the food look enticing. Are they selling this cookbook in judaica stores now?

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 9:03 pm
in mishpacha magazine it said it's out in stores in Israel, but not in the US yet. However, you can pre-order online at www.enlitenedkoshercooking.com

amother

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 10:47 pm
What does it mean to pre-order? How is it different than regular ordering? I need the cookbook soon. Although Mitzvahmom sent me a link to buy it on Amazon so maybe that will be simpler.

But wow, this book is expensive! It's $40!! (ok, it's really $39.00) But this is the one I want, I don't think I'll find one as good which pretty pictures, so what can I do?

ceo

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 10:02 am
Pre-ordering means that you order before it's available, almost like you're "reserving" your copy for when it is.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 2:18 pm
http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/Enlitened/

this webpage let's u see inside the cookbook a bit!!

But it's amazing!!

feldheim.com yes feldheim is selling it less expensive

ceo

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 2:23 pm
I actually saw it in my local bookstore today- but not in NY. Maybe call around and see if anyone got it in yet?

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 1:48 am
Mollie Katzen's cookbooks are great! Look her up on the web and you can find good deals on them at Amazon. Her recipes are all healthy and delicious. She is one of my favorites!

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 2:24 am
I have one by Norene Gilletz called MealLeaniYumm!.

She has now released a new book called Healthy Helpings. This is apparantly a revised version of MealLeaniYumm (I guess the millenium joke wasn't so funny in 2006!)

I have MealLeaniYumm, and I love it! It has all the foods I liked to make, and foods I remember from my childhood, along with newer recipes, but all re-done to be much less fattening!

BTW, Norene Gilletz has written a lot of cookbooks including Second Helpings.

HTH,

amother

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 2:23 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them!

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:16 pm
I called my local judaica store and they had a pre-copy...and I got it yesterday Smile I love the photos and the recipes sound sooo yummy

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 12:20 pm
Definately go for MealLeaniYumm! by Norene Gillitz.

momek3

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 8:45 am
Hi all!!!
Noreen Gilletz in my absolute favorite cookbook author- when I was first married- I lived by her Food Processor cookbook (we call it the "yellow cookbook')- I have almost all her stuff!!!! I even bought the newer version of the yellow cookbook- called the Food Processor Bible and I use MealleanYumm all the time- along with her microwave cookbook. I feel like everything I know about cooking, baking, freezing (I learned to freeze the challahs all braided and raw - to be baked on Fri afternoon- all from her Food Proc Cookbook). It is a wealth of info!!!!! Her hints and tips are soooooo valuable.....
enjoy!
M.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 8:50 am
only1 wrote:

I just looked it up - MealLeaniYumm is now out of print, but it's been updated and is now called Healthy Helpings.

Are the recipes quick and easy?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 3:04 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
only1 wrote:

I just looked it up - MealLeaniYumm is now out of print, but it's been updated and is now called Healthy Helpings.

Are the recipes quick and easy?

A lot of them are. Part of what makes a recipe long and hard is the two or step process. Such as fry then bake. Since frying is not part of healthy cooking, usually that step is totally eliminated, making it go quicker. Also all the desserts are cut down on sugar and margarine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics