Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Need a recipe with fried eggplant

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 9:41 pm
I bought an eggplant, I'm in the mood of frying slices of it and make it into some sort of side dish for shabbos to serve with the challah and fish. I remember buying a really good eggplant dish at a sephardi take out place back in the day, anyone have a good recipe? (not into spicy though)

jys

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 10:54 pm
I cut up an eggplant into small pieces fry it chop up an onions yellow peppers red and orange peppers and fresh garlic and fry them as well. Add Paprika Salt a little bit of cumin and garlic powder (all while still frying). right b4 I shut the flame I cut up an Israeli pickle and add it in then I just the flame and let it sit there for a little then with a spoon with holes I put the salad in a tapper ware and let it cool in fridge .

Enjoy its not really spicy the spice comes form the eggplant seeds. But if you making it for Shabbat I would make it Friday Morning and any left overs by Sunday throw them away because its so oily that its just no good!!! I hope you like it My family does!!!

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 11:06 pm
* 3 eggplants, cut (unpeeled) into 3/4-1 inch slices
* 2 red bell peppers, sliced into strips
* canola oil for frying
* 1/3 cup ketchup
* 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
* 3 crushed garlic cloves
* salt according to taste
* parsley, chopped (optional)

1. Put eggplant slices in a colander. Sprinkle salt on them. Let them sit for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with papers towels.
2. In a deep pot, heat oil until hot. fry the eggplant slices until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon. Cool in paper towels to remove excess oil.
3. Remove most of the oil from the pot, and add the red pepper slices. Saute until just softened.
4. Put the eggplant and red pepper in a large bowl.
5. In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, vinegar and garlic. Gently stir into the eggplant and red pepper salad. Add salt according to taste.
6. Cover and refrigerate. This salad is best when it sits for a few hours or overnight before serving.

Cow

Post Fri, Mar 18 2011, 1:17 am
I put one of cookkosher.com that my family really loves and it's fairly easy to make.

Here's the link:
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....=1276

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 18 2011, 1:53 am
Dice the eggplant, drege in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. Fry until golden brown and drain on a paper towel.

Dice a red pepper and onion. Chop some fresh cilantro or parsley. Mince a glove or two of garlic.

Drizzle oil and lemon juice and add a bit more salt and pepper to taste.

Toss and chill, serve cold.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 20 2011, 5:38 pm
Probably a bit too late for shabbat/purim but here's my standard fried aubergine recipe.

* Peel aubergine partially in stripes. Slice in 1.5" thickness, then halve or quarter depending on the size.
Sprinkle 1tbsp salt over the aubergine, leave for 20-30min and rinse away brownish liquid and remaining salt. Pat dry well with paper towels.
* Heat 1tbsp oil till very hot. Add aubergine. Optinally add chopped garlic and chopped onion. Sprinkle a bit more salt, fry till cooked thorough (aubergine will lose spongey texture and turn a bit browinish).
* Serve warm or room temp. This makes a great sabich sandwich in a pita with sliced hard boiled eggs, hummous, chopped israeli salad and amba.

Oriental fried aubergine
* Peel aubergine partially, cut in half lengthwise and cut into matchstick strips. Salt and drain as above. Chop salad onions/scallions finely, chop finely or mince fresh ginger to yield about 2teasp-1 tbsp.
* Heat toasted sesame oil till very hot. Fry aubergine for 10min or so till cooked/soft. Add salad onions and fresh ginger, cook for a few more minutes. Turn off heat. Mix 3tbsp soy sauce and 2tbsp rice vinegar (alternatively use 1/4 cup ponzu sause--Mitsukan comes with an OU) and pour over aubergine. Marinate for half an hour to let aubergine absorb flavour.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 1:55 pm
Cow wrote:
I put one of cookkosher.com that my family really loves and it's fairly easy to make.

Here's the link:
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....=1276

Reviving an old thread - this link is dead, anyone know what recipe it is? Fairly easy sounds great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics