Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Toddler to hear shofar in shul or not on RH?

MartyB

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 4:00 pm
Okay, here's the situation. The shul is about a 25 minute walk away. I have 2 options and would like to hear what you moms think.

1) Take toddler to shul to hear shofar but would have to leave right after 'cos nap time. (so wouldn't soend too much time in shul)
2) Leave toddler home (with grandmother who can't walk to shul) for nap giving me opportunity to Daven in shul and shofar would be blown at home anyway.

Am I being selfish leaving him? Is my responsibility rather to be with him? Is it better that he should be in shul to hear shofar - chinuch point of view?

Thanks!
Wishing you all Kesiva V'Chasima Tova!!

timeout

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 4:07 pm
I have questions before I answer.

How old is your toddler?

Will they make so much noise that they, and u ,and the rest of the shul will not hear shofar?

Will your child fall asleep on the long walk to shul, and not get to hear shofar?

By the way I will be taking my 5 yo son and 2 and half yo daughter just for shofar than leaving immediately so as not to disturb my Dh and everyone else. I plan on waiting outside till my Dh calls me that it's time to come in. Hope it will work. We only have a 15 minute walk.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 4:16 pm
Def. take him.
As a mommy, your responsibility is now first of all to the chinuch of your child, and then to your davening. This is sometimes hard to adjust to, I know. I remember my first Shabbos R"H as a mother, I was absolutely devastated at the thought of staying home for the first time in my entire life for the R"H davening! But Boruch Hashem, it's all in a good cause! Smile

On the same subject, it really upsets me when I see a mother of young children who is davening with real kavana, but her kids are either a) running around disturbing all the other ladies, or b) being looked after by her teenage daughter (who really should be davening herself). And don't even get me started on the topic of the women who leave their kids with the cleaning lady so that they can go the shul for Kol Nidrei Exploding anger

Sorry for the rant....

Kesiva vechasima tova

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 4:19 pm
Bubby doesn't get to hear shofar then. You need someone to come to the house.

what about tashlich?

stem

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 4:34 pm
If your son will hear the shofar at home and you get to daven in shul, I see that as a win-win situation.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 4:42 pm
I agree with stem.

He's too young to have any chinuch from hearing the shofar. Since you have a ready babysitter, why not use the opportunity for davenning and he won't disturb.

Quote:
what about tashlich?

What about it?
We say it at home anyway b/c there's no body of water in our town anyhow. There is one old well, but the men are there all afternoon and it's not tzniyus for the women to go too. Just turn on the faucet, and off you go!

red sea

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 5:10 pm
stem wrote:
If your son will hear the shofar at home and you get to daven in shul, I see that as a win-win situation.

I agree with Stem

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 6:21 pm
What about BUBBY ?

Tovah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 6:54 pm
I would go to shul with my son if I were u. chinuch comes first and u can daven the rest when ur son goes to nap.

stem

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 7:52 pm
Quote:
Daven in shul and shofar would be blown at home anyway.

new2mommyhood specifically said the shofar would be blown at home for baby and bubby, how is that not chinuch? Does chinuch for shofar only count if it's heard only in shul? for a toddler?!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 10:02 pm
Oh.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 10:09 pm
If Bubby can take care of baby, great! lucky you to be able to go to shul!! As other said, chinuch for shofar isn't for such a young age (assuming you're meaning a toddler like 2 yrs old).

By us, there's a women's shofar blowing separate and everyone brings their kids, so I guess I'll take my kids. I don't have a babysitter anyway.
Last year and the year before a friend got a Russian woman who was not going to shul anyway. She watched our kids so we could daven. it was nice! It's probably not happening this year, though.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 9:29 am
I think most shuls have shofar blowing right after davening & again at mincha time. Also have men going to diff homes to blow. Dh goes to a few pple every RH. As for tashlich, you can say it until Hoshana Rabbah.

melalyse

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 9:41 am
[quote="mummy-bh"]
And don't even get me started on the topic of the women who leave their kids with the cleaning lady so that they can go the shul for Kol Nidrei Exploding anger

If the cleaning lady is reliable and the mother trusts them what is the problem. Many cleaning ladies double as babysitter.

I would for sure leave my toddler at home if I had his grandmother to babysit. If she is home anyway why shouldn't I be able to go to shul and daven. This is for a 2 year old. By 3 they know.

MartyB

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 2:35 pm
Thank you all for your feedback!

I really appreciate all those of you who say this is a win-win and that I should go for it. Like I said, there WILL be shofar blowing at home after shul anyway and baby is only 15 months old. So, I guess I will take your advice and Daven in shul a bit this year! Smile

Thanks!

MartyB

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 3:51 pm
just btw, for anyone that's interested....
we both landed up staying home, baby was sick...

momof6

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 6:25 pm
((((((hug))))))) So sorry.
It sounded like a great plan.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 8:42 pm
There is nothing wrong with leaving a baby home with a sitter on yom kippur so you can daven!!!
If you have a sitter when you go to work, you can have a sitter for a few more h ours on YK.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur