Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Pros and Cons of Westgate
Previous  1  2

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
What does that mean?

Westgate has a couple of different setups. There are the four story apartment complexes that are two sets of 2 story houses. I think those are all rentals. There are some other apartment setups that I think are also rentals. Then there are townhouses which I grew up with as rowhouses and I think people might buy those but I don't k now.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 12:52 pm
Lived there for five years five years ago.

My impression was that the owned homes (townhomes, some standalone, closer to new central) were in the whole very yeshivish.

The rentals (closer to central ave) are a mix - yeshivish, not yeshivish, not-at-all-yeshivish, though from my anecdotal experience it leaned more to yeshiva background working, which was perfect for us.

However we left when it became incredibly crowded as they built more and more. I can’t tolerate having traffic getting out of my parking spot, lot, neighborhood even before I get onto the road to work! I couldn’t deal with having my neighbors (as lovely as they were!!) hear my every sneeze. However this is likely how most developments feel. On shabbos there is definitely a lovely vibe as the streets are virtually closed to traffic (there are only one or two gentiles who live there) and everyone strolls about and enjoys the playgrounds.

There are good parts and less good parts, but each is very intense (as to be expected when so many people live close to each other within one area.) it may be perfect for you or awful for you, depending on your personality and family background. I would DEFINITELY recommend staying over for shabbos or at the very least parking there several times (of day!) and walking about to get a “feel”, plus talking extensively to people who live there (renters if you want to rent, rememwber, talking to owners of uou want to rent may not accurately reflect your experience.) Your husband should daven shacharis in the shul(s) there a few times to see the crowd, see if he feels comfortable.

Hatzlocha!

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Lived there for five years five years ago.

My impression was that the owned homes (townhomes, some standalone, closer to new central) were in the whole very yeshivish.

The rentals (closer to central ave) are a mix - yeshivish, not yeshivish, not-at-all-yeshivish, though from my anecdotal experience it leaned more to yeshiva background working, which was perfect for us.

However we left when it became incredibly crowded as they built more and more. I can’t tolerate having traffic getting out of my parking spot, lot, neighborhood even before I get onto the road to work! I couldn’t deal with having my neighbors (as lovely as they were!!) hear my every sneeze. However this is likely how most developments feel. On shabbos there is definitely a lovely vibe as the streets are virtually closed to traffic (there are only one or two gentiles who live there) and everyone strolls about and enjoys the playgrounds.

There are good parts and less good parts, but each is very intense (as to be expected when so many people live close to each other within one area.) it may be perfect for you or awful for you, depending on your personality and family background. I would DEFINITELY recommend staying over for shabbos or at the very least parking there several times (of day!) and walking about to get a “feel”, plus talking extensively to people who live there (renters if you want to rent, rememwber, talking to owners of uou want to rent may not accurately reflect your experience.) Your husband should daven shacharis in the shul(s) there a few times to see the crowd, see if he feels comfortable.

Hatzlocha!

So it sounds like if we're JPF and want to buy, not rent, it wouldn't be for us? Are any Westgate houses single family homes?

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:13 pm
So it sounds like if we're JPF and want to buy, not rent, it wouldn't be for us? Are any Westgate houses single family homes?

There are single family homes, duplexes and town houses single family homes snd duplexes aren’t so on top of each other. The town houses are very on top of each other. All are privately owned.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
There are single family homes, duplexes and town houses single family homes snd duplexes aren’t so on top of each other. The town houses are very on top of each other. All are privately owned.
Actually westgate owns a few townhouses. And a lot of townhouses are owned by investors. Many people on hud living in the townhouses as well as the rentals in phase 1 & 2 of westgate. That part is very yeshivish.

The new sections of westgate, near the shopping center has more of a mixed crowd. There are some blocks of privately owned homes there and from what I understand the crowd there is more mixed. Also westgate is building new homes to sell and I’m sure those will be bought by a mixed crowd as well.

And of course the blocks surrounding westgate are more mixed.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:41 pm
Is this true?

This thread is very very old. But I don’t think that was ever true. I know people who have owned houses in westgate since westgate was first built.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
Actually westgate owns a few townhouses. And a lot of townhouses are owned by investors. Many people on hud living in the townhouses as well as the rentals in phase 1 & 2 of westgate. That part is very yeshivish.

The new sections of westgate, near the shopping center has more of a mixed crowd. There are some blocks of privately owned homes there and from what I understand the crowd there is more mixed. Also westgate is building new homes to sell and I’m sure those will be bought by a mixed crowd as well.

And of course the blocks surrounding westgate are more mixed.

There are really old single houses from the originals. And many of those are owned by individuals. There are also new houses in the last phase.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:11 pm
What does that mean?

A Row House or Town House is a House (2-3 stories) that is attached on both sides.

Often there is a whole block of 5-6 identical attached houses.

If you get a house at the end of a row, then it is semi-detached and you have
windows on one side of the house.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating