Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Meds for ADHD
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 6:11 pm
Thank you for that response. I'm sooo close to medicating. I need to speak to his therapist and sort it all out.

I still welcome any other input on meds for adhd impulsive/hyper type. (and that might help his mood) thanks!

michal817

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 8:32 pm
If he's having issues with his mood, you might want to speak to the therapist about the possibility of depression or other mood disorders. I'm not saying that he definitely has one, but people with ADHD often have other problems as well - depression, ODD, anxiety, etc. It's worth looking into, to make sure he gets the meds/therapy that'll be the most effective.

Hatzlacha!

Depressed

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 9:01 pm
Maybe this is outdated, but avoid Seraquill like the plague. My son was on it years ago, caused severe constipation and sleep disorders.. Was horrible..

amother

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 9:43 pm
would he know he is upset/depressed etc? when I ask him he says no and that it is because I didn't let him do X,Y,Z which is why the tantrum/episode started in the first place. but sometimes he will be OK with things and other times it just sets him off! any ideas...???

michal817

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 11:32 am
How old is he? Children under 8 generally aren't that good at reporting on how they're feeling, especially if you ask them straight out if they're depressed. Also, childhood depression often looks different from adult depression - kids tend to be more irritable, while adults feel more lethargic/hopeless/etc (what we think of as "typical" depression symptoms).

Have you noticed any other symptoms aside from moodiness or being upset?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 1:58 pm
he is under age 8. he is irritable at times. not consistent. when he is irritable, he is grumpy, aggressive, impulsive. (he's impulsive anyway thought Wink)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)