Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Would you buy another cookbook?

momaleh

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 3:35 am
There are sooo many out here already, and we have all our recipes here - but I still feel the draw to buy more! Sometimes I wonder what new recipes can already be developed. I have and use 5 different cookbooks in addition to imamother and random searches.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 7:09 am
I know, it's a struggle for me not to buy a cookbook when I see one I like. I really don't need it and don't even have the room for it.

Check out this thread for other "crazies" out there LOL .

manyhats

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 8:01 am
I can totally relate. I own many cookbooks. Have one skinny bookcase tower in kitchen devoted to cookbooks. Additional cookbooks reside in basement closet and bedroom library. I peruse cookbooks from library and when I really like it I order it and buy it from Barnes and Noble. I also buy cookbooks based on excellent reviews from well respected source sources. My most recent purchase? Days b/4 Purim while shopping for MM in Kollel store Boro Park NY. Persian Food from The Non-Persian Bride and Other Kosher Sephardic Recipes You Will Love! By Reyna Simnegar. @$30

I like this thread . Am inspired to initiate new one. Dealing with factors which lead to cookbook purchase.

Bracha

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 8:09 am
It's useful to have a few good cookbooks, but nowadays with online recipes and smartphone apps there is no excuse to buy so many cookbooks.

Buy a blank cookbook that you can record your favourite online recipes or friends recipes so you don't have to look them up each time.

Grandmama

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 10:08 am
Cookbooks are best sellers, because most of us buy them and hardly use them.
I own many cookbooks, which I hardly ever use, preferring to cook the same favorite things most of the time. Those are the "recipes" I know by heart, and they are simple and easy.
I just love looking at the ones with pictures, and "enjoy" the food without ever tasting it.
Most cookbooks have recipes with ingredients that I would never use, for one reason or another, so reading them is okay, but I would never actually make anything with onion soup mix or with vanilla pudding in it.
I have never bought either of those two items, and there are many more "food products" that I would never buy or use. I do enjoy reading about meats, how to buy, how to cook, and ideas of what types of salads to make, but I can find all of that today on google. The recipes are fresh and plentiful all the time. Free too.

MeadowsLane

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 10:22 am
I have lots of cookbooks at home. Whenever I am in a bookstore I can spend an indordinate amont of time perusing cookbooks. However, in the past couple of years I stopped buying them because I cannot justify the expense. Just about any recipe is available online. Even better, go on youtube and watch the recipes step by step.

momaleh

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 1:27 pm
I actually have a binder (omg, I almost said trapper keeper- remember those?) that I made about 10 years ago with sections for different categories and I used to clip recipes from magazine and paste them in. Now I print them out, and it's my best cookbook. But I still buy from the store! I guess not as many as some of you...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics