Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys bored while waiting for bus
1  2  Next

mbk

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 9:07 am
Hi ladies. My problem is that when my boys (and the neighbors boys) wait for the bus, they get into trouble. For ex. touching peoples cars, climbing trees,you get the picture! . I was thinking of ideas on how to keep them busy. Today ,, they had a frisbee that lasted approx. 3 minutes! Maybe I should keep a box by the hallway that they can play with .. but what do I put inside? any suggestions would be helpful...basically the q is :: how on earth do I keep 6 kids occupied till the bus arrives? they cant go wait too late bec the schedule is irregular. even 10 min of waiting can be disastrous!

timeout

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 9:13 am
First off how old are they?

My son is in Pre-1A and we review homework again in the morning so it will be fresh, we look for bees, airplanes, trucks clouds......

Anything to keep his mind off the waiting, it's also our time alone to talk my DH takes care of my DD so my son can just chatter away Smile

mbk

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:53 pm
Thanks for responding.. the problem is that I live on a high floor and I watch them from the window so im not down there with them,, im usually still in my nightgown by the time they go. btw, all the kids range from 5-8. any suggestions would be appreciated!

chen

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 8:20 am
You won't like this suggestion, but it seems to me the answer is obvious: get dressed and go downstairs with them.

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 8:26 am
chen wrote:
You won't like this suggestion, but it seems to me the answer is obvious: get dressed and go downstairs with them.

I second that, besides the fact that watching from the window isnt exactly the safest thing to do.

timeout

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 9:31 am
My son is also 5 and after what happened to the girl in Williamsburg I think it is imperative that we wait with our children, even if we trust that they know when to get on the bus, I don't trust the other cars to always stop for the red flashing lights.

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 9:42 am
I know this is not the main part of the thread, but I live in Brooklyn and I have yet to see this year cars stop for the flashing stop lights and stop sign on my son's bus. It is extremely dangerous and illegal not to stop and whenever I stop I always get honked at. You have to stop even if your on the other side of a two way street and most cars just dont.

All those boys are not yours - Where are their Parents?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 9:43 am
Quote:
I second that, besides the fact that watching from the window isnt exactly the safest thing to do.
I'll join that, I live on the first floor and someone from a higher floor was doing the same thing in my building. I had conniptions everyday, hearing those kids antics in the building's entry, or outside my window. Very often they were fighting and/or crying for one reason or other. Yes, the big brother (all of five yrs.) was supposed to be watching the little three yr. old, but he was often bothering him too!

And what was to stop them both from taking a hike down the block! Pale Pale

mbk

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 11:25 am
Ok..here goes. Firstly, the country I live in is relatively safe, although I know things can happen anywhere. Secondly, the bus stops right in front of our house and the bus rebbe is very careful with not allowing the kids to run into the bus. those that do , have to go to the end of the line. Also, I feel that at that age, my kids are old enough wait downstairs by themselves. im either on the porch or by the window. I know ideally I should wait with them but I find it very difficult to wake up and get them ready on time and to still get dressed to go down. I was just hoping that one of you would have a suggestion to keep them busy, even assuming that im downstairs. thanks for trying to help though. ( p.s. I also end up watching my neighbors kids because she doesnt wait outside with them ..she has three of them and theyre VERY active and on top of that, she sort of lets them get away with alot whereas I jump when my kids start looking and touching peoples cars , so they dont do it )

timeout

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 4:42 pm
( p.s. I also end up watching my neighbors kids because she doesnt wait outside with them ..she has three of them and theyre VERY active and on top of that, she sort of lets them get away with alot whereas I jump when my kids start looking and touching peoples cars , so they dont do it )

So what you're saying is because of the neighbors kids you feel like you should stay upstairs with your kids downstairs?

By the way the mother of the girl who got killed in Williamsburg also trusted her daughter and thought her mature enough the person in the other verhicle didn't even see her running to the bus till it was to late. That scared me enough!

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 4:47 pm
the bus is usually not the problem but the cars that dont stop are. WAIT WITH YOUR CHILDREN, its just not worth the risk

My mother told me that in this month alone 3 children were hit in News square bec thier mothers dont watch them and let them walk the streets alone

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 7:55 pm
mbk wrote:
( p.s. I also end up watching my neighbors kids because she doesnt wait outside with them ..she has three of them and theyre VERY active and on top of that, she sort of lets them get away with alot whereas I jump when my kids start looking and touching peoples cars , so they dont do it )

So she doesn't care what goes on outside? Confused

Seem to me that it's a problem if you are left stuck watching her kids. Can you talk to her about taking turns going out and supervising?

gryp

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 7:59 pm
I think close supervision is an absolute necessity for 6 boys between the ages 5-8.

(here's an idea to keep the kids busy and out of trouble: gameboys Rolling Eyes )

chen

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:59 am
mbk wrote:
Firstly, the country I live in is relatively safe

congratulations, I'm very happy for you. And this affects the likelihood of a child running into the street and ch"v getting hit by a vehicle...how, exactly?

mbk wrote:
the bus rebbe is very careful with not allowing the kids to run into the bus. those that do , have to go to the end of the line.

Oh, wow, they have to go to the end of the line. I'm shaking in my shoes from the threat. presumably the bus rebbe is ON the bus? then how can he stop a child outside the bus from running into the street?

mbk wrote:
Also, I feel that at that age, my kids are old enough wait downstairs by themselves.

yours is hardly an unbiased opinion. clearly they are NOT old enough to be waiting on their own. read your own post. they are getting into trouble by themselves. wake up and smell the coffee, lady--and while you're at it, get off your duff, get dressed, and wait with them. if a 5-year old can be dressed and out of the house at whatever the hour is, so can you. You don't have to look farputzed vee Esther Hamalkoh-- a snood, a dress that you pull over your head, tights and shoes, and finished. So the driver will see you without lipstick--so what?

Hate to be the bearers of bad news, chickie, but YOU are responsible for your children. Yeah, having them is a sacrifice. Sometimes what we sacrifice is comfort, convenience, sleep...that's life, babe. If you're not willing to do that to ensure their safety--don't have children.

There, I've had my say. Blunt language (which, by the way, I have tempered a great deal, out of respect for your feelings and the sensibilities of other readers) because the safety of your children should be your #1 priority.

Last edited by chen on Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

shoy18

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:04 pm
thank you chen, couldnt have said it better!!!!

timeout

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 3:33 pm
Chen I hope I never get on your bad side Twisted Evil

mbk

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:00 pm
[u]congratulations, I'm very happy for you. And this affects the likelihood of a child running into the street and ch"v getting hit by a vehicle...how, exactly? [/u]
=======================

Thank you "chen" for adding your special and kind thoughts on this thread..thanks for your effort and thanks for your obvious concern.

mbk wrote:
the bus rebbe is very careful with not allowing the kids to run into the bus. those that do , have to go to the end of the line.

[u]Oh, wow, they have to go to the end of the line. I'm shaking in my shoes from the threat. presumably the bus rebbe is ON the bus? then how can he stop a child outside the bus from running into the street? [/u]

If I understand correctly, you are implying that you are not impressed by them only knowing that whoever runs towards the bus goes to the back of the line. ..?

mbk wrote:
Also, I feel that at that age, my kids are old enough wait downstairs by themselves.

[u]yours is hardly an unbiased opinion. clearly they are NOT old enough to be waiting on their own. read your own post. they are getting into trouble by themselves. wake up and smell the coffee, lady--and while you're at it, get off your duff, get dressed, and wait with them. if a 5-year old can be dressed and out of the house at whatever the hour is, so can you. You don't have to look farputzed vee Esther Hamalkoh-- a snood, a dress that you pull over your head, tights and shoes, and finished. So the driver will see you without lipstick--so what? [/u]

Thanks for your unbiased opinion. So if I understand your post, you are saying that I should get off my "duff –(noun Slang. the buttocks or rump )
get dressed and go down to wait with them. I shall not wear lipstick to impress the driver, not primp..just go downstairs to wait with them. Ok..how will I manage going down without a powdered nose? now THATS a problem ...any ideas?????

[u]Hate to be the bearers of bad news, chickie, but YOU are responsible for your children. Yeah, having them is a sacrifice. Sometimes what we sacrifice is comfort, convenience, sleep...that's life, babe. If you're not willing to do that to ensure their safety--don't have children. [/u]

If I understand your post correctly, you are stressing the importance of watching over ones kids once they exit your birth canal. I think that due to the fact that I dont make it down the stairs, I should start thinking of ...IUD vs. MINIPILL???

[u]There, I've had my say. Blunt language (which, by the way, I have tempered a great deal, out of respect for your feelings and the sensibilities of other readers) because the safety of your children should be your #1 priority.
[/u]

Thanks again chen , for sprinkling your post with harsh amateurish and sarcastic lingo. I DO appreciate that you tempered your blunt language and that you took the sensibilities of everyone else out there into consideration. Now THATS true responsibility!

And by the way, for the record , I am of the overprotective type when it comes to raising my kids. I do everything in my power to give them the right chinuch. However, I have a hard time going down so many flights with no elevator and I can see and speak to my kids from my porch /window. of course, ideally I should be downstairs but if the circumstances dont allow it, like in the freezing arctic winter we have here, I need a way to keep them busy. (perhaps it was a mistake to post a true concern here and to fall victim to ridicule and condemnation)

thanks and a git gebencht yur!

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:43 pm
Quote:
However, I have a hard time going down so many flights with no elevator and I can see and speak to my kids from my porch /window. of course, ideally I should be downstairs but if the circumstances dont allow it, like in the freezing arctic winter we have here, I need a way to keep them busy.

Um, not to pour salt on the wound, but " so many flights"??? Just how high many flights away from them are you??? I thought it was like the second floor shock

Also, your kids can wait outside in the freezing cold winter, but you can't be bothered to bundle up and wait with them???

As for chen's post, yep she says it like it is, and yep the truth hurts.

Oh, as for the original question, how to keep them busy while waiting: Go downstairs with them and play a game like timeout suggested!

mbk

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:56 pm
Cindy... Yes in the freezing cold winter my kids are bundled up like eskimos and for my daughter and I to dress in full gear would take a very long time. Sometimes my kids wait inside in the hallway but theyre not content to do that , so from the beginning ,all I wanted to know were suggestions on how to keep them busy. But so many of you are completely digressing by bearing your fangs. Is this not a site for Jewish women to exhibit admirable behavior? You may all have a point that I should wait downstairs , however there is a way to voice your opinion without bashing. This happens again and again on this site. Be it with a devastated wife, forlorn friend, rejected daughter, etc. Instead of offering chizuk/advice in a gentle way, you come forth very strongly and there is no way anyone would accept advice like that. There is a way to communicate and there is a way to make somebody aware that the method theyre currently using is not ideal . And I do have a hard time getting my kids ready for cheder. One of them makes it very difficult and up until the last minute, hes not ready. I AM working on diff. methods on how to motivate him to get ready on time. However, for the time being , he still takes forever to get ready. To end, let me just say that maybe for the new year, so many of you out there should rethink how your vahavta lrayach kemoicha rates. Thanks to all...

mbk

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:58 pm
P.S. ... Of the six kids waiting , 2 are mine, ages 6 and 7.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics