Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Covering hair - hair cuts
1  2  Next

Where do you get your hair cut?
In a salon, by whoever is available  
 12%  [ 24 ]
In a salon, by a woman only  
 7%  [ 14 ]
I go to someone's house and she cuts it  
 17%  [ 33 ]
I do it myself  
 58%  [ 111 ]
I do not cut my hair at all  
 4%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 190

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:07 pm
Last time I cut my hair myself it was disasterous. I'm curious to know what other women do in terms of cutting their hair.

checkbefore

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:11 pm
My hair is curly, so my husband just takes a scissors and chops away!

imabima

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:12 pm
I grow my hair to have 12 inches to cut then put it in a low pony and snip right under the ponyholder. Ponytail gets shipped to Chai Lifeline, my hair is in the perfect shaitel-ready position!

morah

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:13 pm
What about 'my dh cuts it'? That's what I do- he was actually the haircut guy when he was in yeshivah- gave all the bochrim their $5 post sefira haircuts.

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:18 pm
ooh - that didn't even occur to me - it's a good idea. Though that wouldn't work for me - I can just imagine the look on dh's face if I's ask him to cut my hair - total panic!

Is there a way to add poll options once you've posted a topic?

shoshina

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:44 pm
Different option-- my hairstylist comes to my home

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:06 pm
If you are cutting it for mikvah, you can't have your husband do it for you.

octopus

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:20 pm
I cut my own hair. But my hair is pretty long. I put it in two pig tails and trim. If your head is level (eyes forward) it will be an even cut. If your head is slightly lowered, the cut will will be longer in the back and shorter in the front. I then cut layers and angles for myself. Sometimes I do a pretty good job. And sometimes not so wonderful. What can I say, though- I really have fun doing it.

you can google cutting your own hair or look for videos on youtube on how to do it by yourself.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:28 pm
I cut it. I try to make it straight, but I don't really care if it's not perfect. Last time, my dd cut it for me because she wanted to. I cut my hair when I get bangs. I keep my hair up with two barrettes and when the hair covers my forehead, bangs, I cut it Smile .

baba

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:33 pm
I do it myself. Have curly hair and have been doing it since before I was married.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:43 pm
morah wrote:
What about 'my dh cuts it'? That's what I do- he was actually the haircut guy when he was in yeshivah- gave all the bochrim their $5 post sefira haircuts.

If I did that, it would be a very effective way to make sure I became super-strict about keeping all my hair covered at all times.

ally

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:45 pm
I used to do it myself.
Then I got a real haircut and I feel so much better about myself.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:48 pm
There are certainly opinions/heterim for all options there except I guess husband cutting nidda wife hair. Use the search engine Smile

morah

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:52 pm
DrMom wrote:
morah wrote:

If I did that, it would be a very effective way to make sure I became super-strict about keeping all my hair covered at all times.

LOL

Like I said, he happens to know what he's doing. If yours doesn't, then true, it is not an option.

irrationalrose

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 3:06 pm
ally wrote:
I used to do it myself.

did you go to a salon or have it done in the house?

what heter is there for uncovering your hair in public for a haircut (please read that in an inquisitive non-judgmental tone!!!)

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 3:09 pm
My dh does it, and he has no clue what he's doing! We laugh and laugh our way through it. My hair isn't straight, isn't curly, and never looked good even when I got it professionally done. My dh never noticed the difference between when I blowddried/ironed it nicely and when I wore it in a ponytail, which means it's always in a ponytail these days. So I don't care what it looks like!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 3:12 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
ally wrote:
I used to do it myself.

what heter is there for uncovering your hair in public for a haircut (please read that in an inquisitive non-judgmental tone!!!)

Even in this OOT city (albeit not a small one), the local hair salons have private rooms (or curtained off areas) for people who want it. I did it once, and I've seen it at my sheitelmachers. You can also go to a sheitelmacher who only lets women in, if you show it in front of women theoretically. (I don't do so on a normal basis, but would do so for a haircut.)

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 3:39 pm
I haven't cut my hair since I got married, but I would probably like to go get it done in a salon and just ask them for a private room or go somewhere where there are no yidden around....
maybe I will let my sister have a go at it but im worried I will be left with none LOL and dh likes my hair long!

dlj

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 3:55 pm
I have a lady who comes to the house and cuts it for me! Is the best and very reasonable too. She's been going to my mother and a load of frum women in this neighbourhood for years.

ally

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 4:33 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
ally wrote:
I used to do it myself.

I went to a salon.
I didn't ask for a heter.
I would assume that the hairdresser is covered under "oisek bemelachto" but acknowledge that everyone else in the salon probably isn't.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions